DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NexPhone Smartphone Wants to Be The All In One Device

1. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member

NexPhone Smartphone Wants to Be The All In One Device

This project is looking to debut a phone that combines Ubuntu and Android to give you one device which docks to your tablet, monitor or laptop to act in any form you need - PC, phone, tablet or laptop.

HOW IT WORKS:

When connected to a monitor and a keyboard, using the Nex dock, NexPhone provides a real computer experience using Ubuntu for Android software. Ubuntu is free and open source operating system which is as easy as using Windows or Mac. It is used by millions of users on their computers and supports hundreds of applications including office productivity, photography, video and music.

Design:

Semi-circle or circle corners on side view. Screen boldly sticking out/seperated from body on side view

We also used magnets as a solution to connect NexPhone securely to docking peripherals.

Tablet-wise, following the same design concept used on the phone - semi-circle on the sides and screen sticking out of the body - we designed completely different looking tablet, with only one side of the bezel bigger for holding it more comfortably, since we use tablets holding with only one hand.

Laptop dock-wise, we followed the same design concept but also used circle/cylinder hinge to have enough depth for the ports. This way we are able to design razor thin screen and keyboard while the thicker cylinder hinge would help carrying it comfortably.

Monitor-wise, following the same design concept of other Nex products we also designed one of the best looking stands for a monitor
    using the same semi-circle concept and hiding all the ports underneath.

NexPhone & NexDock with estimated price of $499
    NexTablet Dock with estimated price of $149
    NexLaptop Dock with estimated price of $199
    NexMonitor Dock with keyboard & trackpad with estimated price of $199

ABOUT NEXCREA:
    NexCrea wants to change the way people use the computer through an innovative hardware concept. With this concept, NexCrea is creating a new mobile computer phone category: NexPhone. NexPhone is a smartphone that becomes full PC with Ubuntu for Android software. When connected to a monitor and a keyboard using the Nex dock, Nexphone will provide a complete desktop solution. The NEX series will feature affordable options to dock NexPhone to peripherals such as a tablet, laptop or wide screen monitor. The "brain in your pocket" concept is what people have been waiting for and we envision a world where we carry only our smartphone and connect to any screen in the world to turn them into tablets, laptops and PCs. Emre Kosmaz founder of Kosmaz Technologies LLC is the visionary behind the idea. He is an industrial designer and serial entrepreneur, providing Internet Phone Services with his latest venture VoIPVoIP.com. He has a strong team in various backgrounds to get this project alive. Founded in 2005, Kosmaz Technologies is privately held and based in Walnut Creek, CA.

SOURCE: http://nexcrea.com/
    http://www.indiegogo.com/nexphone
    Last edited by Malvado; 09-10-2012 at 11:39 PM.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    ... well I'll be...
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    clever. Pretty sure there is already ways to dual-boot with Ubuntuu on some Android phones when rooted. But it's cool to see the idea making it up the chain direct to the mfrs. I also like the laptop dock idea, but don't see it making a lot of sense to power a laptop with a phone. The 4G phones burn through battery fast enough. Now powering a keyboard and larger screen? It'll kill it quick. Down the line, it'll make a lot of sense, like when battery technology is better and the phones really have computer like specs. But today I just don't see it being worth it
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    looks smart
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by 52brandon View Post
    clever. Pretty sure there is already ways to dual-boot with Ubuntuu on some Android phones when rooted. But it's cool to see the idea making it up the chain direct to the mfrs. I also like the laptop dock idea, but don't see it making a lot of sense to power a laptop with a phone. The 4G phones burn through battery fast enough. Now powering a keyboard and larger screen? It'll kill it quick. Down the line, it'll make a lot of sense, like when battery technology is better and the phones really have computer like specs. But today I just don't see it being worth it
    battery built into the lapdock? every other company has one
    Droid > Droid X > Droid X2 > Galaxy Nexus
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I am certainly interested and have always loved the concept since I use both Unbuntu and my Galaxy Nexus connected through Dropbox, Google Music and pogoplug to share files etc. This phone would need a serious amount of storage and processing power as I do event and sports video editing. Plus gaming, photo editing etc. Plus it doesn't look too comfortable to hold for some reason (must be the sharp edges). I'm not to sure about magnetically attaching the phone to the underside of a tablet as well. Just an uneasy feeling that it could slide loose and shatter on the ground etc. Plus it would have to be available on Verizon.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Finally....

I'm sure some of us remember when the Galaxy Nexus was teased; we all thought this would be it (ie: Something Big). But then it was just a phone, a Nice Phone, but still just a phone.

NexPhone is the future. I'm glad someone is going to capitalize on the idea. I wish I had loads of money to do some of the things I've thought about.

edit: Since this is a Crowd Funding project, I think I will donate to make it happen.

NexPhone: The brain in your pocket. -- Indiegogo
    Last edited by akhenax; 09-11-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Interesting project. Will be funny to see the rage when noobs start populating the Ubuntu forums =p
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    interesting i am very interested in this device..prices are nice ..1046 for all of it ...
    Last edited by justin82; 09-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    fascinate
    NexPhone Smartphone Wants to Be The All In One Device-do-want1.jpg
    If you can't build it you shouldn't be using it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links