DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Netflix Android App Update; 'WiFi only' Playback Feature to Help with Your Data Usage

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Netflix Android App Update; 'WiFi only' Playback Feature to Help with Your Data Usage

Netflix has just added a new feature to their Android app with an update that could prove very useful. In fact, it's such a remarkably simple, yet useful feature that it makes you wonder why no one thought of it before. Their is now an optional setting that restricts video playback to WiFi networks. This will make it much easier to avoid any data overages with your carrier's data service. The default setting for this useful new feature is open to user discretion, so if you would like to take advantage of it, you will need to enable it.

The best part of the feature is that you can still browse Netflix' library via your mobile connection, but your movie simply won't play without a WiFi connection. Neato! Of course, if you are with Sprint, or have one of T-Mobile's newest plans, then it really doesn't matter either way. For everyone else, we gotta give props to Netflix for helping us avoid overages.

Source: NetflixBlog
    Javaknight likes this.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    it's really to bad that the app developers have to cater to companies like vzw instead of how is should be, cellular phone companies bending over backwards for us, the consumer.

it'll have to change eventually... hopefully
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    it's really to bad that the app developers have to cater to companies like vzw instead of how is should be, cellular phone companies bending over backwards for us, the consumer.

it'll have to change eventually... hopefully
    Not sure this makes sense. The wifi only playback is not enabled by default, you must enable it through the settings menu. Also, this does not restrict you from watching netflix through your data plan. Sounds less like catering to Verizon and more like catering to consumers with tiered data plans.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    I don't really get the point, just make sure you are on WiFi before launching the Netflix app...
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    Exorcist73X
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Not a bad addition, thankfully I don't have to worry about it since I'm still on unlimited.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by skennelly View Post
    Not sure this makes sense. The wifi only playback is not enabled by default, you must enable it through the settings menu. Also, this does not restrict you from watching netflix through your data plan. Sounds less like catering to Verizon and more like catering to consumers with tiered data plans.
    Which is catering to vzw because they have -gasp- tiered data. This would have never been been an issue had Verizon not dropped their unlimited.

I'm not saying its not a good idea, I'm saying its complete bs that it ever had to be an idea.

Take the Amazon app store, this doesn't happen often however every once in a while there is an app that Amazon has decided is wifi only because its to big. I've got unlimited data, don't tell me its to big. I only have wifi at home and I'm not home much.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    dustygirl68
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    What liftedplane is saying is that Netflix making their app wifi capable (which it has been for some time, I don't even know why they implemented this latest update other than to advertise) or maybe liftedplane means the “wifi-only" option is new? That would be a blessing for a lot of people who need to watch how much data they use. $15 for every 1G over? No thank you.
    Last edited by victoriak68; 09-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    XT1080
    Its the fact that they have to make this part of the app to protect us from overages when we should not have the problem to deal with.

sent from my leaked ics bionic using tapatalk 2
    "A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    dustygirl68
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Hallelujah! We shouldn't have to worry about overages, considering how much we already pay. What really confuses me is how running 4G lte uses more data than 3g and that is Verizon's justification for cheating their customers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093
    I don't really get the point, just make sure you are on WiFi before launching the Netflix app...
    Ha..that would be to easy. U are assuming ppl know how to use their phone or think. You know the saying "don't assume cuz u make an a** out of u and me."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links