DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 2 Post By tjk629

Thread: New Player in the Google TV Market: Samsung to Debut Google TV Equipped Smart TVs

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2079 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

New Player in the Google TV Market: Samsung to Debut Google TV Equipped Smart TVs

Ironically, even though in the past Samsung has been working toward developing their own Smart TV platform to be a competitor to both Google TV and Apple TV, it looks like they may be shifting their position a bit. We have news that Samsung is ready to debut some new Google TV equipped Smart TVs later this year. Samsung has even ported their best Smart TV apps from that operating system over to Google TV. This seems like a wise move by them, and at the very least is a sign that they are hedging their bets. Most of us are huge fans of Samsung's TV's, so we are pretty excited to get one of these sets. How about you guys?

Source: GoogleTVForum.org via Engadget
    jroc likes this.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Huge fan of Samsung TV's and I like this. I regret getting rid of my Sammy Blu Ray player. The one I got now (Panasonic) is very sluggish software, UI wise compared to my Samsung one.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I got a PS3 years ago mainly for the blu-ray and music/media capabailities. No complaints (ok, hated using the controller to navigate, but got myself a Harmony remote and PS3 adapter). I do regret not hacking it with a linux distro while I had the chance.

Anxiously awaiting EOL on my 8-yr old plasma so I can get a new 1080p tv (it's only 720).
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Personally, I'd rather have this function in a external box. I personally would rather have a TV that just did TV things. At the end of the day I have a PS3, Wii, and a tablet/phone with HDMI out. These services kind of get redundant after a while.
    jayman350 and swc2001 like this.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I got a Sammy UN55D6000 earlier this year and i love it! My only complaints are the hub and apps are kind of bad and no browser, but is that what you buy a tv for in the first place? No. But recently my xbox went tits up and is back at Microsoft getting repaired. So i figured I'd d/l the mlb tv app so i can still watch the Cardinals. Unfortunately it's not supported but Sammy is targeting an update prior to the start of the 2012 (yes '12) season.
    Samsung Gnex unlocked rooted 4.2.1
    ROCKING OUT WITH MY CAWK OWT --- JB SOURCERY 4.1
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have this function in a external box. I personally would rather have a TV that just did TV things. At the end of the day I have a PS3, Wii, and a tablet/phone with HDMI out. These services kind of get redundant after a while.
    This I kinda agree with. I have surround sound setup...and I dont feel like trying to get the sound to come thru the receiver when I use my TV for Netflix. So I use my 360 or PS3. But...in my bedroom, its just the TV for sound....so it doesnt matter in there.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    I am sadly still living in the standard definition age. I am waiting for my current 37" sony trinitron to die (no go on sabotage cause she would figure it out)... here's hoping. I am getting married and cannot afford to purchase a tv until this happens, or possibly a wedding present who would immediately become my favorite family member.

anyways, i just don't get the whole smart tv with apps loaded up on it that are going to require a special remote to use (I am a loyal tivo user for the last 6 years or so). especially if all of the blueray players, wii, roku, tivo, etc, etc units pretty much can do the same thing.

while I do enjoy my mobile devices, i still prefer my pc for many tasks, i don't think i need/want to add my tv into the mix for things I need to keep updated with the latest software fixes.
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman350 View Post
    I am sadly still living in the standard definition age. I am waiting for my current 37" sony trinitron to die (no go on sabotage cause she would figure it out)... here's hoping. I am getting married and cannot afford to purchase a tv until this happens, or possibly a wedding present who would immediately become my favorite family member.
    That's never going to die. I had a Sony Trinitron TV that lasted over 20+ years before it decided to die.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman350

anyways, i just don't get the whole smart tv with apps loaded up on it that are going to require a special remote to use (I am a loyal tivo user for the last 6 years or so). especially if all of the blueray players, wii, roku, tivo, etc, etc units pretty much can do the same thing.

while I do enjoy my mobile devices, i still prefer my pc for many tasks, i don't think i need/want to add my tv into the mix for things I need to keep updated with the latest software fixes.
    A little spill in the back of it does wonders lmao
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    These are my two PDP's ,PRO-110FD PRO-151FD - John's Photos

Links