DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Proof that Google is More Innovative than Apple, Plus the Myth of 'Pinch-to-Zoom'

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Proof that Google is More Innovative than Apple, Plus the Myth of 'Pinch-to-Zoom'

It's funny how sometimes perception doesn't seem to match up with reality. One example is that many consumers think that Apple is the most innovative company in the world. While it is true that they do push innovation further forward, the reality is that in many ways other companies actually innovate much better than the Cupertino clan. We have one great example from Google, and this story also showcases the prevailing myth that Apple holds the patent for "pinch-to-zoom." Here's the skinny.

One of the patents that Apple defeated Samsung on in a U.S. court was the '915 patent. This is the infamous "pinch-to-zoom" patent. However, as it turns out the scope of this patent is actually rather limited. In fact, Google has already developed a superior method of doing the same thing, without actually violating the patent, and they have implemented it in Jelly Bean. Obviously, the best part about this is that future versions of Android will never have to deal with Apple's lawyers regarding this patent. Here's a great quote summarizing the details of why Google's solution is superior, and how it skirts around Apple's version:

...the ’915 patent “specifically covers a programming interface which detects if one finger on a screen is scrolling or two or more fingers are doing something else” and is definitively not a broad patent for pinch-to-zoom technology. Most crucially for Android manufacturers, Google has designed around the ’915 patent by “allowing you to always pan around in multiple directions with one finger, whereas Mobile Safari in iOS generally locks you to a one-dimensional scroll when you start moving with one finger.”
    So, there you have it. It seems pretty obvious that Google is just one of many companies that develop superior technology that Apple can't claim is their own. There is one thing that Apple obviously does better than anyone, and that's self-promotion and marketing. They certainly do know how to get the press to dance for them. That's actually how they were able to perpetuate the myth that they actually have a full patent on "pinch-to-zoom." Check out this article at TheVerge for a more in-depth description detailing why this isn't actually true.

Source: BGR
    jroc, wicked, CJM and 1 others like this.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Good job Google. Every time I turn around....another Apple myth is busted.

On one site I recommended hold 2 corners to pinch n zoom. Google, hop on that.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    oy.. that's true. I just tested it on the N7. it rotates around, not up and down. cool.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Sounds like Apple will probably have to fire whichever lawyer did that patent.
    jroc and bazar6 like this.
  6. Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    nickburress2k2
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    It's sad that the industry has fallen to this. It isn't necessarily Apple's fault, they are merely abusing a flawed system. It also doesn't help that now everyone will follow suit with, "Samsung is a blatant Apple clone." That will most likely sprout the saying, "Android copies Apple," which is not the case. Google will always drive innovation and not just in smartphones but with tech in general. Unfortunately, because of this lawsuit and those previous, it shows that if you can make a simple set of designs or simple gestures popular, you can essentially stifle your competition even though they came up with it first and are moving on to better things.
    jroc likes this.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    And I have no problem with Apple being considered an innovative company. They are. Just dont call them the most innovative. I feel they get put on too high of a pedestal. Fact is, there are many innovative companies. Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Sony, etc.
    dgstorm and stam101 like this.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    djspy
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD
    Let's just hope they actually patented the method and not just geeked out at the fact they out smarted apple.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Apple USED to be the most innovative company, not anymore.

And it absolutely is their fault for abusing a broken system. Some people would call it evil. At the very least it is unethical.

Doctors, lawyers, engineers and some other professionals have codes or take oaths to protect the public or their clients. Some of these oaths/codes include provisions for honest & fair business practices. Now, even though these codes exist, there are those who choose not to abide by them. Apple chooses the dishonest path, thus I consider them an unethical company and thus I boycott their products.
    AC Shade

Yes my avatar is a chicken....WITH A CAMERA ON ITS HEAD!!!!
    Typed from some sort of computing device, but probably from my LG G2 which is fun to say over and over and over again...
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    this_connolly
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Good job Google. Every time I turn around....another Apple myth is busted.

On one site I recommended hold 2 corners to pinch n zoom. Google, hop on that.
    Sounds like we need an episode of Mythbusters. "Apple Innovation Myths"
    jroc likes this.
    Verizon G-Nex
    Running AOKP build 38
    Samsung Touchwiz add-on and launcher

Viewsonic G-Tab
    Running Team-DRH ICS beta
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Hilarity:

Previously I had only seen the calc comparison.
    jroc likes this.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links