DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Apple & Qualcomm Offer TSMC $1 Billion+ Bids for Exclusivity; TSMC Declines

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Watch next week's news be about Apple buying the whole plant
    This made me lol....literally. I wouldnt be surprised if it happened. But this is a smart move by Mr Chang, TSMC.
    FoxKat likes this.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Watch next week's news be about Apple buying the whole plant
    I wonder how much it would cost apple, if he said no to 1 billion it would have to be over 10 billion to buy the plant.

watch next week apple will SUE TSMC for patent infringement.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    I wonder how much it would cost apple, if he said no to 1 billion it would have to be over 10 billion to buy the plant.

watch next week apple will SUE TSMC for patent infringement.
    No idea really. Could be nothing more than a negotiating ploy to get a little more money out of both Qualcomm and Apple. We also have no idea what sort of profitability is involved - you might get $1B from Apple that is pure profit, but make nothing (even lose a bit) on producing...and if they monopolize your whole plant?

$10B+ seems like an enormous amount of money for one plant (safe bet on a multiple, but I assume that $1B exclusivity covered 5 years or more). Really my point was simply that if Apple is that concerned about capacity, they could easily buy the whole thing "name your price" sort of deal. And the whole thing really does sound like posturing on the part of TSMC CEO.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I agree with the decision though: the tech market evolves too quickly to be saddled to one company. Imagine if you'd had a five year deal with RIM starting in 2007 where that would have put your company at this point.
    jroc and combatmedic870 like this.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionImprobable View Post
    I agree with the decision though: the tech market evolves too quickly to be saddled to one company. Imagine if you'd had a five year deal with RIM starting in 2007 where that would have put your company at this point.
    This is a good point. In 2007....Rim was at the top or near the top and woulda been seen like a good thing to do at the time. Enter the iPhone......then enter Android.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links