DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [Editorial] Now That Samsung Was Found Liable, What are the Potential Ramifications?

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Editorial] Now That Samsung Was Found Liable, What are the Potential Ramifications?

Apple vs. Samsung in the U.S. Court System: It was one of the most titanic trials of the decade. A fight between two juggernauts of the mobile industry. Similar battles where being waged around the world, with various outcomes, some of which are still to be determined. In the end, (although the appeals process is just beginning), Samsung lost to Apple. The verdict was paradoxically both shocking and unsurprising. Most of us realized that there was some copying going on (by both sides), but few of us expected the defeat to be so utterly lopsided in Apple's favor. But, what does this defeat mean going forward, for the companies involved, the consumers, and the legal system in general? Here's a brief analysis below culled from multiple sources around the web. Before that here is a defiant statement issued by Samsung in response to the outcome:

Samsung said in a statement, "[This was] a loss for the American consumer. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims."
    Regardless, now that Samsung has been defeated by Apple in a U.S. court, we have several things to consider throughout this trial. We will attempt to list just a few of the most important ones (please keep in mind, much of this is simply speculation):
    • There is now a long appeals process coming, and it is possible we could see some reversals.
    • During this trial, the publicity of the case actually helped Samsung in world-wide market acceptance and consumer knowledge.
    • Because of all of this publicity Samsung is now considered an equal to Apple; however, after the verdict, their reputation could go either way. It could bolster their position, or they could be perceived as a copycat.
    • Even if Samsung is hurt by this, it may not be much. They are still way ahead of Apple in the emerging markets of China, by a factor of over 2 to 1. Plus, this could rally Android fans even further.
    • Apple will likely now ask for a ban on several Samsung products.
    • Because the infringement was found to be "willful," Apple could seek Treble damages. That would turn the $1 Billion dollar verdict into $3 Billion. That's almost half the profit they made over the past year.
    • This could lead to some sort of cross-licensing agreement between Apple and Samsung, in which Samsung pays Apple to make Android phones. Apple could then go after other Android OEMs for the same thing. This would hurt Android in the long run.
    • Conversely, if Apple decides to pursue bans only, they can now use this case as precedent to go after other Android OEMs, which might hurt Android more (or could force change in the current U.S. Patent system.
    • If Apple does seek a cross-licensing agreement, it will likely cause the price of all mobile devices to go up, which only hurts the consumer and market competition.
    • Emboldened by their success, Apple could try to go after the Galaxy S III now.
    • In the long run, this could actually hurt Apple more than it helps them, because they have effectively forced their competitors to think even further out of the box to remain competitive. Because of this, their competition is likely to change the rules of the game by creating a more disruptive technology. There are signs that this has already happened. Apple is now likely to release an iPad Mini, and an iPhone with a larger display. Both of these are reactive moves designed to keep up with the changes in the market brought on by Android.

As you can see, there are a ton of ways to look at this situation, and we have only covered just a few. There are obviously other factors to consider, and other perspectives on this complex issue. Share some of your ideas in the thread!
    Last edited by dgstorm; 08-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Tab
    pple could seek Treble damages

I think you meant triple.

I still think that Apple should have lost that one. One other thing that can happen is emboldening them to file even more broad patents and patent stuff we've all seen before. They now know it works in destroying competition
  3. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beskidia View Post
    pple could seek Treble damages

I think you meant triple.

I still think that Apple should have lost that one. One other thing that can happen is emboldening them to file even more broad patents and patent stuff we've all seen before. They now know it works in destroying competition
    Actually, in "legal-ease" they don't use the word Triple for damages, it is called, "Treble."

Here's the wiki on it: Treble damages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Tab
    I stand corrected then. ^_^
  5. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    No sweat!

I am just saddened by the outcome of this case, although the optimist in me would love to see this defeat eventually lead to patent reform.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    No sweat!

I am just saddened by the outcome of this case, although the optimist in me would love to see this defeat eventually lead to patent reform.
    Amen to that. apple is the one who is most abusive of the smartphone makers when it comes to patents.

An appeal can only be filed if one of the parties feels there was an error in the legal process. IMHO, that judge is so apple-biased that Android or Samsung didn't have a chance. This is probably why apple tries to use that court as their venue; I'd love to see Samsung, Android or any of the others file suit in another venue. It'd be even sweeter if that other judge (can't recall his name...in Illinois, wasn't it?) would throw out their patent cases with prejudice. We can't count on the government to reform patents since they move so slowly.

The whole thing is ludicrous. This is like Ford filing suit against Chevy for selling something called a pickup truck...

Still will never buy a crapple product...I can't support a company that operates at their level.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Patent reform: If you didn't invent it, you can't patent it.
    gunit34328 and trestevenson like this.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    Stop being reasonable

Googorola MAXX
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    samsung had an uphill battle from the start of the case. got to give credit where it's due and it's apple lawyers making it america vs korea case on american soil.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Apple won't go after any other android OEM unless they start surpassing them in sales. It's the only reason they went after Samsung.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links