DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: South Korean Court: Apple v Samsung; Both Parties Infringed; Samsung Didn't Copy

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

South Korean Court: Apple v Samsung; Both Parties Infringed; Samsung Didn't Copy

With all of the media focus on the U.S. trial of Apple vs. Samsung, it's easy to lose track of the other cases going on around the world between the two juggernauts. The South Korean case just wrapped up and the court ruled that Samsung did not "slavishly copy" Apple's designs. Both sides were found to be infringing upon each other's patents though. Here's a breakdown of the results:

Samsung’s products infringed Apple’s ‘bounce-back’ patent -
    • Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have been banned from South Korea.
    • Samsung will have to pay 25 Million won in damages (which amounts to about $22,000 Dollars.)

Apple's products infringed two of Samsung's patents related to wireless transmission of data -
    • Apple's iPhone 4 and iPad 2 have been banned from South Korea
    • Apple will have to pay 40 Million won in damages (which amounts to about $35,000 dollars.)

As far as Apple's "trade dress" arguments are concerned, (that's the accusation of copying), here was the South Korean judge's statement,

There are lots of external design similarities between the iPhone and Galaxy S, such as rounded corners and large screens … but these similarities had been documented in previous products,” a judge at the Seoul Central District Court said on Friday.
    The court also stated that there was "no possibility" of confusion between Apple and Samsung products for consumers.

Obviously, both parties are likely to appeal these decisions, but at least we are seeing some progress. The case was mostly a "wash" for both parties. Now, if we could just get the U.S. judge and jury to pay attention to the South Korean case, maybe some fair and equitable result can be attained in the U.S. as well.

Source: AndroidPolice
    armeddroid likes this.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    That's harsh for Samsung, but at least crapple got what they deserved.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]

I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I may be in the minority here on DroidForums, but I think Samsung did copy, just not as much as Apple is saying they did. When I look at the Galaxy Tabs, yes they look similar to the iPad, but the shape is different. Their Android phones remind of of Apple iPhones, but looking at one I wouldn't confuse it with an iPhone. Some design elements such as icons were copied. I remember an event Samsung had, where they were displaying their new phones, and in the press event picture some of the icons were from the iPhone.

Check out this article about Samsung copying the Apple Store: http://mashable.com/2012/08/23/samsung-copy-apple-store/

S
    amsung should get their peepee slapped, but not at the sum of 2.5 billion dollars.
    armeddroid likes this.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > G A L A X Y N E X U S > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1675 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    I may be in the minority here on DroidForums, but I think Samsung did copy, just not as much as Apple is saying they did. When I look at the Galaxy Tabs, yes they look similar to the iPad, but the shape is different. Their Android phones remind of of Apple iPhones, but looking at one I wouldn't confuse it with an iPhone. Some design elements such as icons were copied. I remember an event Samsung had, where they were displaying their new phones, and in the press event picture some of the icons were from the iPhone.

Check out this article about Samsung copying the Apple Store: http://mashable.com/2012/08/23/samsung-copy-apple-store/

S
    amsung should get their peepee slapped, but not at the sum of 2.5 billion dollars.
    well you not the only one I have expressed many times i felt samsung copied apple, its just given ios has notification bar and pull down windows its obvious apple was doing some copying as well.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    How could they ban the Galaxy Nexus! It's the purest and innocent of all the Android phones
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chinoali
    Phone
    Tbolt, Rezound & Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    How could they ban the Galaxy Nexus! It's the purest and innocent of all the Android phones
    I am a bit confused with that too.
    There is no way you can mistaken a GNex over an Iphone.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by armeddroid View Post
    I am a bit confused with that too.
    There is no way you can mistaken a GNex over an Iphone.
    Something to do with voice commands and siri I think.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chinoali
    Phone
    Tbolt, Rezound & Nexus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    Something to do with voice commands and siri I think.
    ? Really.
    And now Googlerola is about to hit Apple up with the exact same lawsuit?
    Smh.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The consumer is the real loser here. Products are being taken off the market and guess who ultimately pays the litigation cost?
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    This is a great decision. They ban BOTH major products, slap both with essentially a penny judgement (which is equivalent to saying "yeah, you're right but you're an idiot"). And, as expected, only the lawyers get rich.

Pretty clear signal to grow-up and stop wasting the time of the courts.
    tjk629 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links