BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"
Motorola is going to unlock the bootloader via a tool? Yes they are folks. Head on over to Motorola's site to get the low down on how to unlock your devices bootloader, but please do yourself the favor of reading over the warnings, one of them in particular may just make you want to hold off. See below for all the important warnings before unlocking your device:
WARNING: Motorola strongly recommends against unlocking the bootloader and/or modifying or altering a device's software or operating system. Doing so can have unintended, unforeseen, and dangerous consequences, such as rendering the device unusable, violating applicable laws, or causing property damage and/or bodily injury, including death.
By proceeding, you understand and agree that:
Supported Devices as of 8/17/2012
- Your warranty will be null and void.
- You will operate your device in compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Neither Motorola, nor your wireless carrier or retailer from whom you purchased the phone, will be responsible if your device ceases to function, or causes any damage to person or property, and you agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Motorola, and your wireless carrier or retailer from whom you purchased the phone, from any and all damage caused by your device.
- Your wireless carrier may prohibit unlocked devices from operating on their network.
- You will be bound by the terms of the Legal Agreement
Photon Q 4G LTE Sprint
Motorola RAZR developer edition EuropeWho's jumping in?
|Motorola XOOM Verizon
MOTOROLA XOOM WiFi Worldwide
Unlock your bootloader
Tip of the hat to Wicked and dgstorm
UPDATE: We just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that IF they detect the device has been unlocked they will take the device off their network. Reason: "Modifying software will potentially negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers."
It certainly doesn't look like Verizon will be supporting the unlocking tool, and it remains to be seen if handsets on Big Reds network will make the supported device list.