DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 1
    So far tmobile is the only one with the pay full price and youll get a lower monthly bill plan....

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
    Droid RAZR MAXX/ DROID 2 Global/ DROID 1 with DROID 2 EXTENDED BATTERY (BP7X - 1860 mAh)
    ICS /Stock 2.2/UltimateDroid 1.0.0
    Stock Kernel/ChevyNo1's ULowV 1.25 GHz kernel
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    The Steve Austin Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by skennelly View Post
    But it is also a good example of how it negatively affects Verizon's pocket. They can't force you into their shared data plans if you keep your unlocked phone 4 years after your contract has expired. This whole deal is about money. Not to mention, we have always paid a "subsidized" price for a new phone. $200 upfront for a $600 phone, but part of our monthly payment over 24 months pays the other $400. If you keep a phone longer than 24 months without upgrading then you are over paying for your service because part of that payment is going towards that new subsidized phone that you NEVER purchased. If Verizon can keep phones locked, then they can force people who want the newest OS to upgrade. This way they can still charge the same monthly fee and get you off of unlimited data and into a tiered/shared data plan.

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10
    but you are still paying for a subsidized phone long after the phone is paid for. Either way VZW is winning in the greenback category
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    UPDATE: We just got off the phone with Verizon and they said that IF they detect the device has been unlocked they will take the device off their network. Reason: "Modifying software will potentially negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers."
    Can they really 'detect' that a device has an unlocked bootloader short of physically taking your phone out of your hands and rebooting it?
    Also, how do they explain, or tell the difference between the OG Droid having an unlocked bootloader?
    So, for the sake of 'promoting Android devices', it was okay to have an unlocked bootloader back then...but now that Android is so popular, an unlocked bootloader could "negatively impact how the phone connects with the network".
    Way to go VZW, you guys really need to make up your mind.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by themuttt

how can it be modifying your device from it's manufacturers specification if the manufacturer is the one supplying the modification? I think, like others, that it is just a scare tactic from VZW
    Because the manufacturer is telling you that modifying this specification voids your warranty. It's not what came on/with the phone from the factory . The manufacturer is just giving you the option to modify your device not forcing you to. So its your choice to void your warranty and Verizon has a loop hole in the contract to be able to cancel on you. But i do agree with you that they will not act on this empty threat.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Huawei M860
    I know this was discussed quite a bit, but I just want to really simplify the answer (Hopefully)....So I ask..."It states that IF (AGAIN IF) Verizon detects it has been unlocked it will be taken off the network".

SO, I'm just asking?? Can they/will they get any kind of signal or anything, or anyway (Like when you root) be able to tell if it's unlocked, or would it be just stupid luck that they discovered it's unlocked???

Sorry for the "Stupid" question...But, As I put in another thread, All along Motorola has been able to tell if your rooted, just that info was not passed to Verizon, (until now with this Is it rooted thing they are doing......IS there anyway for them to ping the device and see???

THANKS.....S
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    E855
    So what, screw vzw. If they "notice" it just move to pageplus, and use it on thier system with better coverage (compare maps). If vzw is dumb enough to let P+ use thier system, and your equipment works there, use them up.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder5157
    I know this was discussed quite a bit, but I just want to really simplify the answer (Hopefully)....So I ask..."It states that IF (AGAIN IF) Verizon detects it has been unlocked it will be taken off the network".

SO, I'm just asking?? Can they/will they get any kind of signal or anything, or anyway (Like when you root) be able to tell if it's unlocked, or would it be just stupid luck that they discovered it's unlocked???

Sorry for the "Stupid" question...But, As I put in another thread, All along Motorola has been able to tell if your rooted, just that info was not passed to Verizon, (until now with this Is it rooted thing they are doing......IS there anyway for them to ping the device and see???

THANKS.....S
    If you're just unlocked Verizon can't tell just based on that unless Motorola gives them that information.

If you actually utilize the unlocked(or rooted for that matter) nature of the phone, custom kernel, ROM, etc they can tell. When you get pinged for OTA updates the system checks your kernel and current OS version.

It's the same way people get kicked off the OTA path.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder5157 View Post

THANKS.....S
    If Verizon is having Motorola install a root checker on their ICS update, then I am sure they will find a way to check your firmware as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacher View Post
    So what, screw vzw. If they "notice" it just move to pageplus, and use it on thier system with better coverage (compare maps). If vzw is dumb enough to let P+ use thier system, and your equipment works there, use them up.
    Do you still get LTE?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    palm p755
    Quote Originally Posted by cobravnm13 View Post
    Lol. I don't understand that either. And yeah, the carrier warning kinda has me "eh" right now. I don't understand why they would cut off someone's service for having an unlocked phone. That whold thing just reeks of bs. That entire Legal Agreement had me loling a bit but still had my stomach churning just a bit.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    The issue with unlocking the phone has been addressed by the Fed Govt. Can't remember if it was a FCC or Court ruling... but recall the "jail breaking" of the iPhone? The judge or official stated that the hardware is the property of the customer and they have the right to modify as they see fit... the "red herring" of the carrier network security was trolled out at that time also... guess all of those "jail broken" iPhones have put us at peril!!! - here is a BitLy link to one of the articles for the ruling... Ruling Lets Owners ‘Jailbreak’ iPhone Software - Mobiledia

Dan
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Links