DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 113
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

  1. Moderator
    bsweetness's Avatar
    Member #
    42719
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,481
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    #91
    Quote Originally Posted by cobravnm13 View Post
    But it didn't negatively affect the network. The only thing that happened was inexperienced people bricking their devices. And then we got recovery images which allowed for a full recovery. The further we went along with the Android game, the more experience we gained and knowledge learned, therefore bricking happens less. But, since the introduction of bootloaders (even though they were planned from day one), bricking became easier. Lack of bootloaders allows for easier recovery. I still don't see how it negatively impacts the network. I don't see how modding our phones is bad.

    Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    I'm not saying that it negatively impacts the network, just that using the unlocked state of the original Droid isn't the best example in regards to Verizon allowing unlocked devices and not threatening to cancel. They only allowed the original Droid to be unlocked out of necessity. They would have locked it up if they could have.

    However, the shear number of original Droids that were and still are active on the network is definitely a good example of how unlocked devices don't hurt the network.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

    Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

    Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  2. Droid Ninja
    cobravnm13's Avatar
    Member #
    193786
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,749
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    #92
    Wouldn't there be a way to keep VZW from "pinging" our device and finding out if we have changed things around?

    Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]


    I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
  3. Droid Ninja
    cobravnm13's Avatar
    Member #
    193786
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,749
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    #93
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    I'm not saying that it negatively impacts the network, just that using the unlocked state of the original Droid isn't the best example in regards to Verizon allowing unlocked devices and not threatening to cancel. They only allowed the original Droid to be unlocked out of necessity. They would have locked it up if they could have.

    However, the shear number of original Droids that were and still are active on the network is definitely a good example of how unlocked devices don't hurt the network.
    I wasn't saying you said that, I'm quoting VZW when I say that. And yes, the number of D1s still active is astonishing and a great example of that.

    Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]


    I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
  4. Droid Ninja
    MissionImprobable's Avatar
    Member #
    221238
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,901
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    #94
    As others have said it's quite interesting that VZ will disconnect you for unlocking Moto devices, yet you can have a dev edition Samsung or an unlocked HTC handset. Seems like grounds for a class-action suit, though of course I doubt that there are enough people willing to sign on for that or too many lawyers who would see it as being worthwhile. Strange that Moto would put up with it because regular users could care less; it's those of us who mod our phones who are interested and this basically makes Moto's unlock tool a useless item. I'm sure devs will find a way to exploit this and make something happen, but Moto is making itself look like VZ's play thing.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  5. Master Droid
    zomnomnombie's Avatar
    Member #
    182985
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    787
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    #95
    I'm not arguing that it makes sense nor am I in favor of it. I'm just saying that if Verizon wants to they can. They are not required or are they limited to do any one particular thing. And they can do different things. It's in the contract and they own the business.

    It's called a free market. You get the benefits of other carriers but you have to deal with their crap when they have crap.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  6. Senior Droid
    themuttt's Avatar
    Member #
    12717
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    164
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    The Steve Austin Phone
    #96
    Quote Originally Posted by zomnomnombie View Post
    I'm not arguing that it makes sense nor am I in favor of it. I'm just saying that if Verizon wants to they can. They are not required or are they limited to do any one particular thing. And they can do different things. It's in the contract and they own the business.

    It's called a free market. You get the benefits of other carriers but you have to deal with their crap when they have crap.
    Again with the free market, they can do it, but it could become a PR nightmare. Plenty of sites like this would pick it up start the whole thing rolling, then it would hit sites like CNN and it would really get going. I still say it is a scare tactic
  7. Master Droid
    robert70's Avatar
    Member #
    238735
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    282
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    droid x2
    #97
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017

    What is a bootloader ?

    In literal terms, bootloader is code that is executed before any Operating System starts to run. The concept of bootloaders is universal to virtually all Operating systems that inculcates operating systems on your PC, laptop, smartphones, and other such devices. Bootloaders basically package the instructions to boot operating system kernel and most of them also have their own debugging or modification environment. As the bootloader kicks off before any piece of software on your device, it makes it extremely processor specific and every motherboard has it’s own bootloader. This is one reason that all Android phones have different Custom ROMS developed due to high variance of processing hardware present on the device. The iDevices running iOS somewhat share the same hardware specs and hence you don’t see much variance in their bootloaders.

    Full article here: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...omplete-guide/

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you Syndicate!! Now I get it,, that's kind of what I was thinking, bit wanted to make sure I was right.

    Sent from my wicked sharp razr!
  8. Master Droid
    skennelly's Avatar
    Member #
    131018
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    581
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    #98
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post

    However, the shear number of original Droids that were and still are active on the network is definitely a good example of how unlocked devices don't hurt the network.
    But it is also a good example of how it negatively affects Verizon's pocket. They can't force you into their shared data plans if you keep your unlocked phone 4 years after your contract has expired. This whole deal is about money. Not to mention, we have always paid a "subsidized" price for a new phone. $200 upfront for a $600 phone, but part of our monthly payment over 24 months pays the other $400. If you keep a phone longer than 24 months without upgrading then you are over paying for your service because part of that payment is going towards that new subsidized phone that you NEVER purchased. If Verizon can keep phones locked, then they can force people who want the newest OS to upgrade. This way they can still charge the same monthly fee and get you off of unlimited data and into a tiered/shared data plan.

    Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10
  9. Master Droid
    zomnomnombie's Avatar
    Member #
    182985
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    787
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    #99
    Quote Originally Posted by skennelly

    But it is also a good example of how it negatively affects Verizon's pocket. They can't force you into their shared data plans if you keep your unlocked phone 4 years after your contract has expired. This whole deal is about money. Not to mention, we have always paid a "subsidized" price for a new phone. $200 upfront for a $600 phone, but part of our monthly payment over 24 months pays the other $400. If you keep a phone longer than 24 months without upgrading then you are over paying for your service because part of that payment is going towards that new subsidized phone that you NEVER purchased. If Verizon can keep phones locked, then they can force people who want the newest OS to upgrade. This way they can still charge the same monthly fee and get you off of unlimited data and into a tiered/shared data plan.

    Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10
    This.

    They only care about the network being negatively impacted if it hurts their profits.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  10. Droid Ninja
    cobravnm13's Avatar
    Member #
    193786
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,749
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by zomnomnombie View Post
    This.

    They only care about the network being negatively impacted if it hurts their profits.
    Like I said before, it'll keep me from upgrading. That's why they say that bull.

    Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]


    I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 02:34 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM
  3. Light Flow: "No colors found to select on this device" error
    By Whitechapel in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 01:53 PM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Search tags for this page

how do i unlock my droid x

,
how to unlock a droid x
,
how to unlock a motorola droid
,
how to unlock a motorola droid x
,

how to unlock droid x

,

how to unlock motorola droid x

,

how to unlock my droid x

,
unlock droid x
,

unlock motorola droid x

,

unlock my droid x

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+