DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: MetroPCS is Officially the First US Network to Launch Voice-Over-LTE

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

MetroPCS is Officially the First US Network to Launch Voice-Over-LTE

MetroPCS may be one of the smaller, third tier service providers, but that doesn't mean we should discount them too quickly, because their status might change very quickly. They just launched the first Voice-Over-LTE (VoLTE) Network in the United States, and they already have a phone to go with it, the LG Connect 4G (which is actually a rebranded LG Viper).

Just in case you may not be familiar with VoLTE, here's a brief summation of the technology. VoLTE is a fairly new technology. It really hasn't been possible until about a year ago. This was when carriers finally started switching to the more advanced and speedier LTE networks. It basically routes your calls across the enhanced LTE data networks, instead of the old-style (CDMA and GSM) "fuzzy networks."

The promise of VoLTE is improved, crystal-clear call quality as well as better reception and greater reliability. It really is a revolutionary new technology, and it is surprising that it wasn't one of the Big Three that launched it first. Could this be the first rise of a new big player in the market?

Here's the press release,

DALLAS, Aug. 7, 2012 — MetroPCS Communications, Inc. PCS -1.37% today reached another innovation milestone by announcing the world’s first commercial launch of Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services, availability of the world’s first VoLTE-capable handsets and the first sale of a VoLTE-capable handset at one of the company’s Dallas/Fort Worth store locations. MetroPCS is selling the new VoLTE-capable LG Connect 4G Android(TM) smartphone at select U.S. stores and will continue to roll out VoLTE services and phones in the coming weeks.

“Being the first operator globally to reach this industry first speaks volumes about our company’s innovative spirit and passion to achieve goals that we believe will have long-term benefit for our customers and for the company,” said Roger Linquist, chairman and chief executive officer of MetroPCS. “The initial move to LTE and this move to VoLTE allow us to achieve significant spectral efficiencies and will increase network capacity so that we can enhance the 4G LTE experience that our customers have today at a tremendous value. VoLTE also provides a foundational capability for future Rich Communication Services (RCS), which we plan to launch later this year.”

The addition of VoLTE capabilities to MetroPCS’ 4G LTE handsets will be transparent to consumers as they continue to enjoy all the voice and 4G LTE data services with which they are already familiar. Calls to and from the handset will use VoLTE, regardless of the handset or network used on the other end of the call.

MetroPCS was the first U.S. carrier to deploy a commercial 4G LTE network in September 2010 and has since built out its 4G LTE network to cover roughly 90 percent of its CDMA footprint.

For more information, please visit: Details on rate plans and service features: Plans - MetroPCS MetroPCS Terms and Conditions of Service: www.metropcs.com/privacy/terms.aspx Press resources: Unlimited Wireless Service - MetroPCS Follow MetroPCS on Twitter: MetroPCS Inc. (MetroPCS) on Twitter Become a fan of MetroPCS on Facebook: MetroPCS | Facebook View MetroPCS’ latest videos: MetroPCS - YouTube

About MetroPCS Communications, Inc.

Dallas-based MetroPCS Communications, Inc. PCS -1.37% is a provider of no annual contract, unlimited wireless communications service for a flat rate. MetroPCS is the fifth largest facilities-based wireless carrier in the United States based on number of subscribers served. With Metro USA(SM), MetroPCS customers can use their service in areas throughout the United States covering a population of over 280 million people. As of June 30, 2012, MetroPCS had approximately 9.3 million subscribers. For more information please visit MetroPCS .

SOURCE MetroPCS Communications, Inc.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Better quality sound is the only thing I think this can do for me. I already have 100% perfect phone service and NEVER drop calls. I think I haven't dropped a call in about 3 years.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Metro was also the first to launch a LTE network here in the states.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    I never even heard of metroPCS until a while after joining DF... when I saw posts of people wanting to flash their OG Droid to metro.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
    Last edited by cobravnm13; 08-08-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]

I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The interest for me would be unlimited VoLTE calling. Except that will probably mean losing my unlimited plan.

And I imagine VoLTE will use a good chunk of data. So let's break this down with the new share plans. You're paying $40 a month for unlmiited voice, which is now obsolete. Everyone wants to use VoLTE now, but you'll need more data than that 1gig for $50.

Slick move, VZW. If you think about it, if you could do it, $80 a month for 8 gigs of data with unlimited calling wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Or just wait for a free VoIP solution (read: one that works well) with GV to crush all.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    The interest for me would be unlimited VoLTE calling. Except that will probably mean losing my unlimited plan.

And I imagine VoLTE will use a good chunk of data. So let's break this down with the new share plans. You're paying $40 a month for unlmiited voice, which is now obsolete. Everyone wants to use VoLTE now, but you'll need more data than that 1gig for $50.

Slick move, VZW. If you think about it, if you could do it, $80 a month for 8 gigs of data with unlimited calling wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Or just wait for a free VoIP solution (read: one that works well) with GV to crush all.
    VoLTE would replace the calling stuff. Since, *from my understanding* Verizon wants to be all LTE. Right now calls are made on their 1X network. In the future Verizon will probably ditch their CDMA network in favor of just LTE.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    VoLTE would replace the calling stuff. Since, *from my understanding* Verizon wants to be all LTE. Right now calls are made on their 1X network. In the future Verizon will probably ditch their CDMA network in favor of just LTE.
    But that's my question. Without reading the fine print, aren't the new share plans basically a $40 device fee with unlimited minutes thrown in? Now, we go to VoLTE and the minutes "transform" into a data hog and you're stuck with the $40 device fee and now your $50 for 1gig of data is inadequate. I have no idea, but would guess 6 hours of voice is @1gig of data.

To your other point, if they ditch CDMA wouldn't that necessarily eliminate grandfathered unlimited plans, since you'd need VoLTE and that would be a plan change?
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    I have no idea, but would guess 6 hours of voice is @1gig of data.
    Using the worst case VoIP codec (G.711 @ 87 kbps) it looks like 1 GB would get you about 25 hours (1500 minutes).
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Droid BIONIC
    Also thinking how much it would affect battery usage..... I have no clue really but thinking about the battery drain of talking on phone as the network currently as versus the drain on battery talking via VoLTE.... Thoughts?
    Droid BIONIC
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    I doubt Verizon would use VoLTE usage against your monthly data cap.
    combatmedic870 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links