DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Verizon Nailed with a $1.25 Million Fine by FCC; Must Stop Blocking Tethering Apps

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I just wonder now if this puts unlimited data tethers under the microscope. Verizon has never dished out consequences for unauthorized tethering. I could see this change since verizon is going to lose some tethering income. If caught tethering i could see them forcing those on unlimited data to a shared/capped plan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    I had this thought in my original thread on this story and wanted to toss it here for the masses. I am happy about this ruling for a reason unrelated to tethering.

From the FCC's posted ruling above: "Verizon Wireless offers customers its 4G LTE service on C Block spectrum. Verizon Wireless bid at
    auction to acquire that spectrum, understanding that it was accompanied by open device and application
    obligations. Specifically, licensees offering service on C Block spectrum “shall not deny, limit, or restrict
    the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block
    network...."

It says DEVICES. That might be an opening to get some action on bootloaders. There were a lot of FCC complaints about that this winter by VZW customers about the same time as the whole #OPMOSH effort. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think it is related.
    I was also thinking the same thing... the requirement that verizon "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network," would say to me that verizon's 4g phones should have unlocked bootloaders so that I am not denied, limited or restricted in using my device as I choose. Or am I understanding this wrong.

Anyway, one small victory for us... sort of because they already have their shared plans in place that address this satisfactorly and us with unlimited plans are still restricted. And like, Sydman pointed out, Verizon will probably find some other way to soak us. But I am thinking that Verizon knew this was coming so they came up with the shared data plans and that is how they're soaking us.
    Last edited by TisMyDroid; 07-31-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    electricman58 and Narsil like this.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Anyway, one small victory for us... sort of because they already have their shared plans in place that address this satisfactorly and us with unlimited plans are still restricted.
    I would go out on a limb and say they did that knowing they were about to lose this FCC case.
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    Of course they don't give a $**t about limited data plans tethering. They stand to make a lot of money from them going over their data allowance. Rest assured though, that they will be cracking down on those with unlimited data. This will be their excuse to eliminate the unlimited plans.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Does this aply to those of us who did everything legit from the get go? Grandfathered unlimited data and I subscribe to unlimited tethering? I pay up the *** but they can't take anything away from me now. LOL

Nate
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8!
    All I have to say is

LMAO..............LMAO..............LMAO.......... ...LMAO!

I'm hoping the FCC finds more on Verizon to knock them back some pegs, so they learn to respect!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Bionic ICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    I would go out on a limb and say they did that knowing they were about to lose this FCC case.
    There's no limb at all! Verizon has known this for a while. You don't just agree to a $1.25M fine over night because you can. I'm sure they've known about this for a very long time. They may even be holding off on releasing ICS updates for some phones(I own a Bionic) because they were waiting for this announcement so they could just release ICS without the hotspot feature being an extra fee.

What is completely crazy to me is that Verizon's fine is equivalent to 62,500 people paying for 1 month of tethering($20). So Verizon did something that was wrong, and they STILL get to profit from it. I want to see Verizon have to pay back their customers that were inappropriately charged for the service on top of the fine.
    Narsil likes this.
  8. cs3
    Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    When will this be in effect?

Does this even apply people still on the unlimited data plans, or will we excluded?
    If unlimited data users are excluded, how will Verizon do so?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    LG Rhythm
    Am I missing that part in this statement that says unlimited data users can still be denied? I know its in the op but is my phone not connected in this "c block" that Verizon uses?

Edit: c block seems to be 4G anyways I'm still ob 3g
    Last edited by JoeyJ; 07-31-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    geekabilly likes this.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    As said above VZ will benefit from this anyway since data plan customers will have to pay for overages which will happen easily running your pc data through the phone. Perhaps that's why they initiated this when they did, knowing they were going to lose in the long run anyway.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links