DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tjk629

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Available for Preorder in the U.S. Now for $499.99

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Available for Preorder in the U.S. Now for $499.99

With all the attention lately focused on the Google Nexus 7 tablet, there were some other tablet launches that got forgotten a little bit. One perfect example is the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android tablet. It is now available for pre-order on some online U.S. third party retail sites. This tablet sits squarely in the high-end category at $499.99, and attempts to take on the iPad directly. Even though this is named after the Galaxy Note "phablet" it is more than just an enlarged version of that device. In some ways it is a surprisingly superior product to the iPad. Here's a spec breakdown of this impressive and powerful device:
    • 10.1 1280 x 800 pixel display
    • 1.4 GHz Samsung Exynos quad-core processor
    • 802.11n WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.0
    • 1GB of RAM
    • 2MP front-facing camera and a 5MP rear camera.
    • Measures 10.1″ x 6.9″ x 0.35″ and weighs about 1.3 pounds
    • Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich
    • S-Pen functionality to use the included digital pen with the tablet

What do you guys think? That Quad-Core Exynos is a nice surprise, as is the included S-Pen. For folks looking at the high-end tablet, this seems like a great choice.

You can pre-order the device at several online retailers here: Google.

Source: UnWiredView
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Stop comparing tablets against the iPad. It makes it sound like the iPad is somehow superior when it isn't.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    The only way to really compete with the iPad is to lower the price, and promote the hell out of it.
    dgstorm and nikecar like this.
  4. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    Stop comparing tablets against the iPad. It makes it sound like the iPad is somehow superior when it isn't.
    While I agree with you on a personal level, unfortunately, the iPad is the undisputed market leader. The iPad has far superior marketshare, and at this price point, this tablet was designed to compete directly with it. That is the only reason I used the comparison. It's helpful to see how one product differentiate's from the market leader.

Other than the new iPad's retina display, this Galaxy Note 10.1 blows it away in specs, as do several others, like the Asus Transformer series. I find it remarkable that this tablet has not received more press than it has, especially since it has the Samsung quad-core Exynos running it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    This or the Nexus 7? Or maybe just go get both and declare bankruptcy...
    One thing 127 Hours has taught me; Never forget the Swiss Army Knife, leave the "Cheap Made in China multi-tool" home.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    While I agree with you on a personal level, unfortunately, the iPad is the undisputed market leader. The iPad has far superior marketshare, and at this price point, this tablet was designed to compete directly with it. That is the only reason I used the comparison. It's helpful to see how one product differentiate's from the market leader.

Other than the new iPad's retina display, this Galaxy Note 10.1 blows it away in specs, as do several others, like the Asus Transformer series. I find it remarkable that this tablet has not received more press than it has, especially since it has the Samsung quad-core Exynos running it.
    Also, the iPad really is the only tablet most people think of when you say "tablet". It's not like with phones where you can either get a "Droid", "BlackBerry", or "I have a basic phone, because I don't need all those features".

Though, I wonder if the average person thinks the Kindle Fire is a tablet. I think it really helped break the "iPad is the only worthwhile tablet" notion, but do they even put it on the same level as an iPad?
  7. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    No. Most folks don't put the Kindle Fire on the same level as the iPad. I think most purchasers think of it as an enhanced Amazon Kindle with tablet functionality, but you are right that it opened a door. I have read several reviews/previews around the web on the Nexus 7 and the general consensus is that it really is competitive with the iPad.

The tablet wars are going to really heat up soon. Time to grab some popcorn!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Why is there no official thread for this monster? There are tidbits in multiple threads, but nothing coherent. If it is amazing as the new commercial is making it look it will destroy everything else out so far in terms of functionality and make people wonder why the stylus became such a hated accessory. Advertising campaign success thus far.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    D4
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionImprobable View Post
    it will [...] make people wonder why the stylus became such a hated accessory.
    Actually, I've wondered that since the very beginning. I've always thought good stylus integration is a vital component of a tablet. Without the stylus, tablets feel like they just miss the mark (I still like my Xoom, but man, I can not wait until next month when I'll finally have the money to pick up a GN 10.1).

Links