DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skennelly

Thread: UK Judge Rules that HTC Has Not Infringed on Apple Patents

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid Razr
    Premium Member

UK Judge Rules that HTC Has Not Infringed on Apple Patents

Apple was dealt a major defeat today in the UK when a Judge ruled that HTC was not infrining on four of their patents. The patents in question are related to touchscreen technologies, including slide to unlock functions, and picture management. Not only did Judge Christopher Floyd rule that HTC was not in violation of the patents, but three of Apple's patents were found invalid. The only patent not found invalid was one relating to Apple's picture management, but it was ruled that HTC had not infringed on it. It appears for now HTC has won, but the FTC is still investigating Apple's claims in the US. We'll keep you updated so check back.

Spurce: Talk Android
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    I wonder how the Apple vs. Nexus case would have went this judge. I don't know many of the little details, but the fact that he found three patents to be invalid seems to suggest that he sees what Apple is trying to do. I hope he's the judge when Apple takes someone to court over the "wedge" patent.
    djsiva likes this.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by skennelly View Post
    I wonder how the Apple vs. Nexus case would have went this judge. I don't know many of the little details, but the fact that he found three patents to be invalid seems to suggest that he sees what Apple is trying to do. I hope he's the judge when Apple takes someone to court over the "wedge" patent.
    the big issue is with the US patent system and the US patent judges...unfortunately this article mainly applies to phones sold in the UK
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    the big issue is with the US patent system and the US patent judges...unfortunately this article mainly applies to phones sold in the UK
    But can't the attorneys use the findings of the court in another jurisdiction as precedent in the cases here? Or are the patents awarded in the UK different enough from the patents awarded in the US where the cases cannot be related?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah

But can't the attorneys use the findings of the court in another jurisdiction as precedent in the cases here? Or are the patents awarded in the UK different enough from the patents awarded in the US where the cases cannot be related?
    You allow us judges to apply law based on laws in other countries and you open the legal system down a slippery slope. I'm sure HTC lawyers will use findings to attack any US based lawsuits.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.

Links