In a stunning decision late Friday, Android (and especially Samsung) has been dealt a potentially serious blow by the ongoing patent wars with Apple. US District Court Judge Lucy Koh rendered a decision in favor of Apple's injunction to block sales of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in the United States. The patent at issue has to deal with database mining capabilities in Apple's Siri voice assistant. Here is a quote from the Judge's ruling,
This is the second time this week that Judge Koh rendered a decision in favor of Apple's injunctions versus Samsung. Earlier in the week, Judge Koh also ruled in favor of Apple's injunction to stop sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the United States. In that case, Apple already posted a $2.6 Million Dollar bond to block sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. This is done to pay for legal costs and potential damages in case Apple's injunction loses on appeal."Apple has shown that the '604 Patented feature is core to Siri's functionality. Accordingly, the court finds that Apple has adequately established the requisite causal nexus between Samsung's alleged infringement of the '604 Patent and Apple's risk of suffering irreparable harm. In sum, Apple has shown a likelihood of establishing both infringement and validity."
In this patent infringement case against the Galaxy Nexus, Apple must post a $95.6 Million dollar bond before the phone is blocked for sale in the United States. That will likely happen sometime early next week.
Here is a quote from the Yahoo article detailing responses from both Google and Samsung,
The worst part about this decision is the potential for Apple to now use this decision to block sales of other Samsung or Android devices with similar functionality. It's even possible the new Google Voice Search capabilities in the Google Nexus 7 tablet could come under fire."Were disappointed with this decision, but we believe the correct result will be reached as more evidence comes to light," Google said in an email response to an AFP inquiry.
Samsung vowed Saturday to "take all available measures" to fight the decision.
"Samsung is disappointed, as the court's ruling will restrict American consumer choice in the smartphone market," said the world's largest smartphone maker in a statement.
The company said it was working closely with Google to resolve the matter.
"Samsung will continue to take all available measures, including legal action, to ensure the Galaxy Nexus remains available to consumers," it added.
Source: GalaxyNexusForum via Yahoo!