DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Potentially Grim News for Android: Apple Blocks Sale of Samsung Galaxy Nexus in U.S.

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Potentially Grim News for Android: Apple Blocks Sale of Samsung Galaxy Nexus in U.S.

In a stunning decision late Friday, Android (and especially Samsung) has been dealt a potentially serious blow by the ongoing patent wars with Apple. US District Court Judge Lucy Koh rendered a decision in favor of Apple's injunction to block sales of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in the United States. The patent at issue has to deal with database mining capabilities in Apple's Siri voice assistant. Here is a quote from the Judge's ruling,

"Apple has shown that the '604 Patented feature is core to Siri's functionality. Accordingly, the court finds that Apple has adequately established the requisite causal nexus between Samsung's alleged infringement of the '604 Patent and Apple's risk of suffering irreparable harm. In sum, Apple has shown a likelihood of establishing both infringement and validity."
    This is the second time this week that Judge Koh rendered a decision in favor of Apple's injunctions versus Samsung. Earlier in the week, Judge Koh also ruled in favor of Apple's injunction to stop sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the United States. In that case, Apple already posted a $2.6 Million Dollar bond to block sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1. This is done to pay for legal costs and potential damages in case Apple's injunction loses on appeal.

In this patent infringement case against the Galaxy Nexus, Apple must post a $95.6 Million dollar bond before the phone is blocked for sale in the United States. That will likely happen sometime early next week.

Here is a quote from the Yahoo article detailing responses from both Google and Samsung,

"Were disappointed with this decision, but we believe the correct result will be reached as more evidence comes to light," Google said in an email response to an AFP inquiry.

Samsung vowed Saturday to "take all available measures" to fight the decision.

"Samsung is disappointed, as the court's ruling will restrict American consumer choice in the smartphone market," said the world's largest smartphone maker in a statement.

The company said it was working closely with Google to resolve the matter.

"Samsung will continue to take all available measures, including legal action, to ensure the Galaxy Nexus remains available to consumers," it added.
    The worst part about this decision is the potential for Apple to now use this decision to block sales of other Samsung or Android devices with similar functionality. It's even possible the new Google Voice Search capabilities in the Google Nexus 7 tablet could come under fire.

Source: GalaxyNexusForum via Yahoo!
    Last edited by dgstorm; 07-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Its amazing...it really is.

Frankly...I'm getting tired of it. I may just limit my forum use to anything but the news sections, about to stop visiting mobile news sites, news sections, etc.
    Last edited by jroc; 06-30-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    Tillmorn likes this.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Has Apple's products ever been banned? I mean in the past month we've had HTC and Samsung stuff banned from the USA.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS
    Makes me love my phone more and hate apple even harder....

If apple was a kid... He'd get a weggie for days around my way... And wet willies if he tattled!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Is there no depth to which Apple's greed will not cause it to sink?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Do you think the judge is an "Apple Head"?
    Last edited by SiGfever; 06-30-2012 at 06:48 AM.
    jackiescivic likes this.
    Google Navigation: The Garmin Killer!

Google is "Skynet". I know that one day my Android phone is going to turn into a robot and try to kill me, but I am o-k with that.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    d2vzw
    Thats poopy-pants.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 07-02-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: language filter workaround
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    **** like this is what will make me never buy a apple phone/laptop/anything. This is all going to come back and bite them someday, it is only a matter of time. In the Tech world you can not stand alone.

The day will come where they release iDevice#100 and someone else holds the patent. Blocking the sale to the world and putting them under. You can only make so many foo's without having everyone fight back at some point.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The ban will be lifted soon. Apple is afraid of android plus with the née Samsung devices coming out the know I phone 5 will be beat out by Samsung.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I really wish I could get more details on all of these patent cases, because wasn't Google voice search available before siri? I know voice recognition was available long before either, so I guess it's more technical than that.

The thing that also pissed me off is that 90%+ or people who read idiotically over simplifyed yahoo articles read that story as "apple was the first company to think of voice commands and now everyone is copying them"
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links