DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's that Time Already; Google Nexus 7 Tablet said to Infringe on Nokia Patent

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1565 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

It's that Time Already; Google Nexus 7 Tablet said to Infringe on Nokia Patent

That didn't take too long now did it? It appears Google's Nexus 7 tablet may infringe on at least one of Nokia’s registered patents, according to a patent expert. As everyone knows, Asus and Google are not affiliated with Nokia in any way, but the Nexus 7 Tablet does use some patented technology that Nokia owns. Specifically speaking, the technology is related to the IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi, or WLAN) standard. Florian Mueller of Foss Patents approached Nokia for comment on this and was told, in no uncertain terms, that "neither Asus [n]or Google is licensed under our patent portfolio." Nokia is one of the biggest players in the industry when it comes to patents. They are so large that even Apple took a royalty-bearing license. As it stands now, Google and Asus are not among the more than 40 licensees.

Will Google and Asus have to pay heavy licensing fee's to Nokia? That remains to be seen, but according to Mueller they should not have to fork over large sums of cash. Mueller says:

I don't know how much Nokia asks for, but since Nokia has so many licensees, there's every indication that its royalty demands are reasonably acceptable.
    It is not known at the time of this writing if Google and Asus have approached Nokia but it looks like they have some homework to do.

Via Nexus Tablets
    Last edited by dgstorm; 06-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    that was quick
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    So what, is Nokia claiming they invented 802.11 now? Because I see nothing "special" about the Nexus 7's wifi.

EDIT: If they end up having to pay a licensing fee, well, they are already losing money on each tablet. Knowing the way companies work these days, Google will probably end up raising the price to $249/8GB and $299/16GB
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1421 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Man..... none of these companies play nice lmaol

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I would sure like to know which patent it is. Lets face it, there are some very legitimate patents out there and the owners have the right to protect them...but soooooo many are soooooo bad its just sad.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    Greatest article picture EVER. It totally sets the tone.

Teacher: Class, I'd like you to meet our newest student...

***Slight Pause***

***FIGHT BREAKS OUT***
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    How does Asus not have a license? I have an Asus motherboard with built in Wifi a/b/g/n which is a few years old. Did they change the standard? Florian Mueller has pointed out these "problematic" patents before and many of them aren't true. I take his "problems" with a grain of salt.

Selex
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by selex View Post
    How does Asus not have a license? I have an Asus motherboard with built in Wifi a/b/g/n which is a few years old. Did they change the standard? Florian Mueller has pointed out these "problematic" patents before and many of them aren't true. I take his "problems" with a grain of salt.

Selex
    Your mobo probably isn't as popular as the NEXUS 7 will be.

Let's face it. Companies only cry patent infringement when it's a popular product.

If Android or even Samsung wasn't as popular as it was now, do you all think Apple would be suing them as much?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    It's not even Nokia crying foul its a separate company. Sounds like someone is hoping to pull a reward out of this or something.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    So if Sammy or Moto made the tablet we would be good. But because Asus made the tablet Google is in the crosshairs? I guess this means the Asus Transformer tablets also infringed on Nokia's patents? Scandalous.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links