DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pre-Order Your Google/Asus Nexus 7 Tablet Today on Google Play Store for $199.99!

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinctown View Post
    A couple questions for you guys...

Having WiFi only, how would the GPS even work? I would love to be able to take this for walk, hiking, etc and be able to listen to music and or watch TV or even map my hikes, but it seems almost worthless to me. I'd love to have it as a book/magazine reader, and would love to have it at home to be able to watch Netflix or Hulu when the kids are watching TV, but beyond that, what is it's usefulness? can you download google maps and use it standalone as a navigation device?
    I believe Google's Maps presentation a while back said that you would be able to download maps and use it as a standalone feature. Not sure if its been implemented, or will be when the tablet rolls out.

From Engadget.. they have pics of the selecting map area and downloading feature.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/googl...-bean/#5123600
    Last edited by nikecar; 06-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinctown View Post
    A couple questions for you guys...

Having WiFi only, how would the GPS even work? I would love to be able to take this for walk, hiking, etc and be able to listen to music and or watch TV or even map my hikes, but it seems almost worthless to me. I'd love to have it as a book/magazine reader, and would love to have it at home to be able to watch Netflix or Hulu when the kids are watching TV, but beyond that, what is it's usefulness? can you download google maps and use it standalone as a navigation device?
    Google Maps will cache now. I have only tried for a small area. Not sure what it would do cross country without wireless. But on my Acer tab I use Sygic (Play Store) that is an awesome map/GPS/Nav software that uses TomTom maps. A 7 inch GPS is really great
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid HTC Incredible
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
    that blows. So the 16gb will be under 14?
    After being
    gung ho, I'm now on the fence..
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    i won't need too much storage, so that's not a big deal. also don't plan on taking pictures with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Anandtech Nexus 7 review: "I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter."

AnandTech - Google Nexus 7 and Android 4.1 - Mini Review

That would be awesome if we could use a flash drive with this.
    trestevenson likes this.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    If it will support flash drives, then I think we have a winner
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JTyler82
    Phone
    Blue HTC One
    I preordered after thinking it over a bit. Kind of nervous of owning another Nexus device after having a Gnex that barely saw updates.

They did in fact charge me though but I think it's a temporary hold since I received an email 3 minutes later that said no charge was made
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GBH2 View Post
    Anandtech Nexus 7 review: "I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter."

AnandTech - Google Nexus 7 and Android 4.1 - Mini Review

That would be awesome if we could use a flash drive with this.
    Well, apparently it does not look good for flash drives(at least stock).

From the above Anandtech link:

Update 2: I've asked for further clarification about what USB-OTG functionality is supported. Using a mouse and keyboard will be supported, and I saw Google using an ethernet to USB adapter over USB-OTG as well. Unfortunately I found out that mounting USB storage will not be supported natively. In addition MHL is not supported.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Links