DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Apple Store Refuses to Sell iPad to American Customer Because She Spoke Farsi

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Apple Store Refuses to Sell iPad to American Customer Because She Spoke Farsi

Now, this story isn't directly related to this forum, but it looks like it might turn into one of the big tech news pieces of the day, so it is worth sharing. As you can see in the video above, according to a local news report in the U.S. State of Georgia, a 19-year-old American teenaged girl was discriminated against by an Apple store because she spoke the language Farsi. Apparently, the Apple store employee refused to sell Sahar Sabet an Apple iPad, because the store employee recognized that she was speaking Farsi to her uncle, which is the language spoken in Iran.

The store employee claimed Apple's policies dictate that Apple products must not be sold for export to Iran, North Korea or other countries that the US has a trade embargo against. The Apple store employee reportedly told her, "I just can't sell this to you. Our countries have such bad relations." When she explained that she was an American citizen and she had no intention of exporting it, the store employee responded with, "This policy relies on the customer being honest," and still refused to sell it to her. Sabet was shocked and dismayed and said the experience was, "Very hurtful, very embarrassing. I actually walked out in tears."

Ironically, the store employee that refused her service was originally from Iran, which is why he knew that she was speaking Farsi.

Update: After doing some more digging, there are conflicting reports as to whether she claimed where she was sending it. Some reports claimed she said she was sending it to Iran, while others indicate exactly the opposite, that she had no intention of sending it to Iran. We will have to wait to see how this story develops.

Sadly, this wasn't an isolated incident either. Here's a quote with more details on a second report of the same nature:

Another customer, Zack Jafarzadeh, told the reporter that a different Apple Store, in an Atlanta mall, had also refused to sell him an iPhone. He was with a friend, a student on a visa from Iran, at the time. Jafarzadeh recommended: “I would say if you’re trying to buy an iPhone, don’t tell them anything about Iran. That would be your best bet.”
    What do you guys think? Are these just overzealous employees taking things too far, or has Apple simply crossed the line?

Thanks for the tip, furbearingmammal!

Source: TheRegister.co.uk and WSBTV
    Last edited by dgstorm; 06-22-2012 at 09:59 AM.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I smell a discrimination lawsuit. Also Google should give her a free tablet as a PR boost.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.
    johnomaz and bazar6 like this.
    Droid does...Apple bites

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    unless they had proof she was selling overseas, or buying a large quantity, then this is wrong. Google should give her a tablet!!!
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Phone
    D.E. Moto X. Unlimited/Verizon
    Just more proof that Apple is beyond Ghey...
    TruthSeeker likes this.
    I like to watch debates, especially when they're fair!
    Another definition of ghey: When a self appointed "referee" decides to join a "debate" (that's okay) but then decides to end/close the "debate", only because both sides have valid points & he/she just can't win and/or doesn't want to hear the other opinions any longer...

Sorry, I only check/subscribe to threads that I've started, not all the ones I've posted in , PM me instead.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    All the more reason to buy an Android. They can do everything an iPhone can and the sellers don't even care if you're from this planet, much less the USA.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    josefius
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    It could also be he understood what she was saying to her Uncle, like maybe her intent to export it, hence the "we sell to honest people" statement. Just a possibility.
    --

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    At the risk of drawing fire, I agree with Apple on this one. The original story said that she had told the employee that she was buying the product as a gift for a friend/relative (I can't remember which one) in Iran. As the US government has trade embargo's on certain countries for certain technology, I agree with Apple's policy....
    And I think Apple is as ghey as the next guy, but...
  10. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by letinsh View Post
    At the risk of drawing fire, I agree with Apple on this one. The original story said that she had told the employee that she was buying the product as a gift for a friend/relative (I can't remember which one) in Iran. As the US government has trade embargo's on certain countries for certain technology, I agree with Apple's policy....
    And I think Apple is as ghey as the next guy, but...
    Please send us a link to the original story so I can update mine. Thanks!
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    If the employee knew her intention was to send the iPad to Iran then I can agree with the Apple employee for not selling since that is American Policy. I would expect that from any business establishment.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links