No, this isn't one of those fun but cringeworthy stories where you see some crazy blogger with too much money doing crazy things with his device like dropping it from a building or cooking it on a grill. Apparently, for one owner of the international version of the Samsung Galaxy S III, his device became hotter than the presales figures, quite literally. Supposedly, and there are several pics that seem to corroborate this, a gentlemen in Dublin had his SGS3 explode and burst into flames while it was sitting in his car dock with the charger not plugged in.
Of course he immediately took it back to Carphone Warehouse where he purchased it, and they took it from him to send to Samsung for investigation, but they let him leave empty-handed. Apparently, they must suspect that he did something hinky with it to get it to do that, but they want to let Samsung investigate it to be sure. Since the incident, Samsung has issued a statement,
"There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously."-Samsung statement
What do you guys think? Is this a hoax or just some rare and random event? Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is an isolated and one-time incident regardless.
UPDATE: According to Endgadget via Samsung Tomorrow it appears that it was not an issue with the device itself, but something externally caused the fire. The article states:
Remember the melted Samsung Galaxy S III that surfaced in an Irish forum a few weeks ago? Samsung said they were looking into it and, along with a third party investigation, have decided it occurred as a result of "external energy" being applied to the device, not anything from within the phone itself. The damage is apparently consistent with the phone going in the microwave. The original poster dillo2k10 has posted an update on Boards.ie, indicating it was a mistake by someone else in an attempt to recover the phone after it got wet. The Samsung Tomorrow post linked cites a report from Fire Investigations UK finding that the phone itself was not responsible for generating the heat that caused the damage, so GSIII owners (and the pockets of their skinny jeans) should be able to breathe easier. via Samsung Tomorrow
Source: S3Forums via PhoneArena