DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Developer Project Called Linaro Tweaks Android Code; Can Double Performance on G-Nex

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2079 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Developer Project Called Linaro Tweaks Android Code; Can Double Performance on G-Nex

If you haven't heard of Linaro, then now would be a good time to take notice. The Linaro project was recently able to tweak Android 4.0 code in a way that improved its performance on a Galaxy Nexus from 30% to a whopping 100% in some cases!

Linaro is a non-profit organization that was founded in 2010 by a consortium of hardware and software companies, including ARM, Samsung, TI, and Canonical in order to research maximizing the efficiency of Linux on ARM processors and more. Here's a quote with more details about the project/group,

The group is closely aligned with Ubuntu, but the improvements that it is driving offer benefits for the broader ecosystem of platforms and distributions that are deployed on ARM hardware. They have done a lot of work upstream in GCC (the GNU Compiler Collection) to open the door for better ARM optimization in Linux and other open source software.

Linaro’s GCC improvements have been producing measurable performance advantages over Google’s stock Android environment and build toolchain since late last year. Google is reportedly accepting some of these improvements in the upstream Android Open Source Project and independent developers are also looking to put them to use.
    Apparently, these performance tweaks don't just show up in benchmarks either. Supposedly, subjective performance evaluations show a dramatic difference in app loading, faster scrolling, and a much smoother UI. The improvements are so impressive, they are already being adopted by the developer community. Here's another quote with some final details,

The code changes are being merged into CyanogenMOD 9 right now, which means that future nightly builds will take advantage of the optimizations. The Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is also accepting some Linaro submissions into its upstream, so there’s potential that Jellybean, or perhaps later versions of Android, will see these benefits.
    It's amazing what a few improved algorithms and code tweaks can do to enhance the performance of an OS on its hardware. It will be interesting to see how quickly these engineers get snapped up by Google or other companies to improve things on a larger scale...

Thanks for the tip, metalspring!

Source: MobileSyrup and ArsTechnica
    Javaknight, Narsil, wicked and 1 others like this.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    First...that guy creeps me out. /shiver He is right though. He (they) isn't better than Google. Google does have to build new versions, add new features and everything while they can focus on a created platform and optimize it. Its what makes Android as good as it is. I can't wait until I get a ROM with the linaro improvements and hope my soon to be S3 gets the same stuff right out of the box. Would be nice to see Google use them too natively.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Awesome!!! Man I love this phone!
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    Awesome!!! Man I love this phone!
    Beyond impressive. I can't wait to get a build of ICS for the RAZR incorporating these advances from Cyanogen. This thing rocks now, with these innovations, it's going to levitate!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    ArtfulSacrifice
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I love that CyanogenMod 9 (and probably other ROMs) are integrating the Linaro tweaks, so that we can see performance gains directly on devices getting nightly builds. Even better, it's great that the AOSP is accepting some of these patches.

Now, question time: much of the benefit from "Linaro Android" comes from compiling from source the entire Linaro toolchain, correct? I believe I saw in another video that they provide pre-compiled toolchains as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

My big question related to that is: Unless ROM developers use the Linaro toolchain, as well as the latest and/or most optimized version of GCC (the compiler), won't we not be seeing the full potential of all of the work the Linaro group is doing?

That said, I really hope all developers ranging from amateur to awesome will be able to utilize all the hard work these guys are doing (into their hard work, of course)!
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2

Linaro

So you non rooters, this Linaro stuff is pretty ground breaking.. Possible 30 - 100% performance jumps. Are any of you going to take the root plunge because of this?! I know I cant wait to have it running on my phone!!
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Pure Linaro Rom, the only reason I would want to root and rom....NOW!!!
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    I have to think that real world performance increases won't be as drastic as advertised, but I'd welcome even a 5-10% jump in performance any day of the week. I'm waiting until it's incorporated into my favorite ROM (Slim ICS) and then I'll take a crack at it. If the non-rooters haven't rooted by now, there's no hope for them.

I kid, I kid.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    I'd take 5 - 10% also! Speed freak over here!
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Beyond impressive. I can't wait to get a build of ICS for the RAZR incorporating these advances from Cyanogen. This thing rocks now, with these innovations, it's going to levitate!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
    Levitating phone! No more worring about drops!!
    FoxKat and akhenax like this.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links