DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: [Follow-Up] Verizon's 'Share Everything Plan' Overload; Reactions from Around the Web

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Forced because minutes and texts are nothing for their network. It's the data that kills and bogs them down. In order to keep their network working effectively they have to get the part of their 93,000,000 customers to limit their use so others can benefit from the LTE service. The spectrum would be overloaded if they did not control their data on their network.

I am not defending VZW by any means. In all likely hood I may just switch to a phone for calling and texting and using a 7" tablet with wifi since VZW will be forcing people to use wifi anyway. Hell, that will save me $80 bucks a month.

Still, for now, this is how I am going to work it......

I love having up to date phones, the newest out. It just peaks my interest in technology. Its a passion of mine lets say. So, at this point I don't care to change my plan or upgrade at discounted prices. Who really cares? You can get the latest phones still for what you would pay for an upgrade! How you ask? OK. It's like this---I have a Razr Maxx now but the SG3 looks nice. I will purchase it outright at $650. Then sell the Maxx on ebay with my accessories for around $500. So essentially I am getting the SG3 for $150. Then the cycle continues when the next phone I want comes out.

I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' UPGRADES!!!

I am keeping my unlimited as long as I can
    equake and jayman350 like this.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by nikecar View Post
    I could deal with the txt, but I don't care for minutes.

If the phone fee was $10 for each line, this would be golden.

now its just a pile of smelly dog stuff.

Yeah. Reading over some of these articles, it seems that they're really sticking it to the families with both smart and dumb phones on the same plan (possibly a technique to force everyone to upgrade to smartphones to get some value for their money?)

It's not very BAD for us. We currently have 2 lines with 1400min/unl text and the $20 discount on each of our unlimited plans for $150 (including tax, fees, insurance etc...). With this new plan we'd have 4GB for $141 WITH my 15% discount, BUT before tax, fees, insurance, etc... Not a huge difference, but increased data usage with 4G concerns me. And when the time comes for our son to get a phone, we'll be screwed.

People are going to start family planning based on how many phones they eventually will need on their plan...
    Jmoore1701 likes this.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Mine: SG4; Hers: SG3
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
    You are not being forced into unlimited minutes and texts. Directly from VZW:

"I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone."

I'd like to know what other options will be available. Unlimited minutes was useful for many several years ago, but not so much today.
    Thanks for the clarification. Of the few articles I read about the changes, they seemed to imply that everyone would be forced to switch to a share everything plan. I just went back and checked, and many of the articles have been updated to include the information you provided. This isn't so bad because I can keep my bottom line minutes and messaging plan, and I never thought I could keep unlimited data forever.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Oh believe me, Verizon's hungry wheels are spinning faster than they can keep up with them trying to figure out a way to get everyone off of unlimited. I am suspecting that once my two year contract is up, there is nothing binding Verizon to continue to honor it and when I go to activate a different phone, they will have created some way to force me to pick a plan. I have lived without mobile data before, I can chose to live without it again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
    Jmoore1701 and Trash Can like this.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    Oh believe me, Verizon's hungry wheels are spinning faster than they can keep up with them trying to figure out a way to get everyone off of unlimited. I am suspecting that once my two year contract is up, there is nothing binding Verizon to continue to honor it and when I go to activate a different phone, they will have created some way to force me to pick a plan. I have lived without mobile data before, I can chose to live without it again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
    at that point, i'm a free agent and willing and able to go elsewhere for the best plan.
    Jmoore1701 likes this.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Of course its a rip off. $50 for 1gb of shared data!! I can't even stay under 1 gb on my own and I am on wifi nearly everywhere I go. My wife uses about 5 gigs a month on facebook, twitter and a few other social sites. Its ridiculous!
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Droid X --> SGS3 --> Note II
    Thanks for the shout-out, dgstorm! Obviously, the poopstorm Verizon has stirred up is only beginning...!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    --Thomas A. Edison
  8. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoore1701 View Post
    Thanks for the shout-out, dgstorm! Obviously, the poopstorm Verizon has stirred up is only beginning...!
    Indeed! Love the avatar pic btw!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    XT1080
    Yeah starting off $50 for 1gb shared? I really hope they change the bs

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    "A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I've already begun shopping around for a new carrier once my contract is up next May. I love Verizon's service and my selection of phones, but for a plan like mine, this is going to screw me over big time.

I share a plan with my mother - we've been on it for nearly five years. I have a unlimited data at $29.99 a month, 5000 text messages (which I only use about 1600 of) and 700 shared minutes. She has no interest in data or getting a smartphone, and while she has expressed some interest in texting, she doesn't care enough to pay for it.

I should also mention that she is off contract and has been for nearly two years. There's nothing she cares to upgrade to, she likes her simple, feature LG flip phone.

We're currently paying around $125 a month after fees and taxes, which is high enough. Under this new pricing structure, we'll be sitting at $120 just to share one gig of data between the two of us, and that's before fees and taxes.

We already pay our own portion of the bill anyway. we're just on the same account for convenience. Perhaps I should look in to just going our separate ways.

Add that to the fact that my area STILL hasn't gotten 4G LTE coverage, despite being told it was coming in March, and it's no wonder I've got to consider taking my business elsewhere.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links