DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: [Update] Verizon's New Family Data Plans Begin: It's Called the Share Everything Plan

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    476 times
    Twitter
    Trusstopher
    Phone
    G-Nex
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Ok at $50 for 1GB of shared data I'm probably going to switch to Sprint when my contract ends in 2 years. I use about 5GB per month when I don't do any tethering and on top of that I am the only one on our family plan who has a smart phone so I would get stuck paying for the data. I refuse to pay $20 more for only 1GB of data when I have unlimited for $30. Plus 6GB would cost me $50 more than I am currently paying. At that price I can move my line to Sprint with unlimited everything.

I pay about $45 per month as a secondary line with data and insurance. 6GB of shared data would bump my payment to $95. With Sprint I can get unlimited everything for about $80.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Note: This does not consider the new talk/text pricing compared to the old... Nikecar does a great job of this here.

I think VZW is definitely going after the biggest demographic with this as it will help the 4-5 person family that only use data for e-mail/check google/download apps, but on the other hand it is really going to hurt the power users and 1 or 2 line customers who will be paying a lot more for a lot less.

Old Plans New Plans
    2GB for $30

5GB for $50
    10GB for $80
    1GB for $50
    2GB for $60
    4GB for $70
    6GB for $80
    8GB for $90
    10GB for $100

Ignoring people on unlimited because this is a bad deal no matter how you look at it:

1 phone who used 2GB was $30, it will be $60
    1 phone who used 5GB was $50, it will be $80
    1 phone who used 10GB was $80, it will be $100

2 phones who used 2GB each was $60, it will be $70
    2 phones who used 5GB each was $100, it will be $100
    2 phones who used 10GB each was $160, it will be impossible but limited to $100

3 phones who used 2GB each was $90, it will be $80
    3 phones who used 5GB each was $150, it will be impossible but limited to $100
    3 phones who used 10GB each was $160, it will be impossible but limited to $100

4 phones who used 2GB each was $120, it will be $90
    4 phones who used 5GB each was $2000, it will be impossible but limited to $100
    4 phones who used 10GB each was $320, it will be impossible but limited to $100

And of course you can mix and match on the old plans but that is to many iterations and I'm lazy.

So the large plans will definitely see the biggest benefit, but will also be forced into submission on how much data an account can use. Cutting back on data use is about the only course of action for a 4 or 5 device household with anything more than moderate usage.
    Last edited by Trusstopher; 06-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    dgstorm, jroc, Sherry and 1 others like this.
    If you always seem to have drama in your life, you are probably the one causing the drama.
    If customer service representatives or restaurant servers always seem to be rude to you, you are probably the one being rude.
    If your computer always seems to be freezing up on you, you're probably doing something wrong.

In my experience, drama begets drama, rudeness begets rudeness, and ineptitude begets ineptitude.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    And what happens if you add a line to your plan? Uh oh...VZ advertised this as a savings for larger families and that's not the case at all. It might save the two-liners some money, but 4+ lines and they ram you hard.
    Might be a problem for others, but not for people like me.....I'll be 60 in a couple months, have been retired for 7 years. My wife is 49, still working......all our kids are grown, gone, and have their own phones and plans.

The real issue here is that the phone/data systems are finite, there is only so much capacity in the systems, and capacity costs money....a lot of money. And from a strictly business standpoint...when 4% to 5% of your customers are using the majority of your capacity.....time to do "something" about it. The people at the root of the "problem" will shuffle around to other providers, the "solution" will follow them until one day they'll be paying their share of the capacity used.

And then once people get used to the new normal......the data/capacity used currently by 4% to 5% (power users) will be available for a lot more (average) users. Verizon then makes more money not by charging each one of us more, but by charging us the same or slightly less and having the capacity to service more customers.
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    I see people saying this will affect power users more. But when I think power user I think over 10GB a month. I use an average of 3-5GB a month which I consider average. My daughter uses 1GB or less. The reason is I use that amount is because I don't have access to wifi except when I am at home. This is from daily use. I don't stream audio or video all day. I use my phone for the things that it is intended to be used for.
    pc747 likes this.
  4. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Check the OP in a minute. Stormy is updating this news with more info that will clarify it for everyone. You won't be too happy with this info.....sorry
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    G-Nex (fon), OGD1(alarm clock)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandragora View Post
    I completely disagree with this. The heavy data users get a break. The low end users are paying $50/GB. The high end users are paying $10/GB.
    i should have been more clear. i'm paying $30 (actually $24 with discount) for unlimited data right now....granted, they will come after me if i go crazy every month, but i meant that switching from unlimited to any cap seems like a penalty compared to the new system (for heavy users)
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    rmmccann
    Phone
    GSM Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mandragora View Post
    I just don't see how anyone is saving money with this plan. If you do an equivalent with the 750 it looks like this:

2 Smart Phones:
    You forgot your math, but going on current pricing, my GF and I on individual plans were paying $90-$100/mo ea. So say $190/mo for the two of us (that includes fees). Current family share pricing would put us at $70 for 700 minutes + $30 text + $60 for two data plans. That's $180/mo. This new pricing would put us at $80/mo for two phones with unlimited talk+text + $70/mo for 4GB data. That's $150/mo. We're not heavy data users, but at the end of the day this is still cheaper even with the more expensive data.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by doomgazer View Post
    Even though I cringe at the data prices, I'm another one where this can end up saving me money. I have to wonder though if all the "smartphone" devices on the plan get a new every 2 discount or if it's just the primary line? If I have to pay full price to upgrade my phone, I may as well stick with what I have.
    Thought I read somewhere recently that the "new every two" thing is about to go away.

The "new every two" thing wasn't really THAT anyway......it was a $50 discount on a new phone replacement on your primary line. Nothing for the second line. The only way I ever got a discount on the purchase of a new phone for my wife was to make her keep hers for 3 years.....
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Check the OP in a minute. Stormy is updating this news with more info that will clarify it for everyone. You won't be too happy with this info.....sorry
    Woooohooo!!! I feel like VZ is the bully at school who picks me up by my ankles and shakes me until my lunch money falls out of my pockets.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusstopher View Post
    I think VZW is definitely going after the biggest demograpgic with this as it will help the 4-5 person family that only use data for e-mail/check google/download apps, but on the other hand it is really going to hurt the power users and 1 or 2 line customers who will be paying a lot more for a lot less.

Old Plans New Plans
    2GB for $30

5GB for $50
    10GB for $80
    1GB for $50
    2GB for $60
    4GB for $70
    6GB for $80
    8GB for $90
    10GB for $100

Ignoring people on unlimited because this is a bad deal no matter how you look at it:

1 phone who used 2GB $30, it will be $60
    1 phone who used 5GB was $50, it will be $80
    1 phone who used 10GB each was $80, it will be $100

2 phones who used 2GB each was $60, it will be $70
    2 phones who used 5GB each was $100, it will be $100
    2 phones who used 10GB each was $160, it will be impossible but limited to $100

3 phones who used 2GB each was $90, it will be $80
    3 phones who used 5GB each was $150, it will be impossible but limited to $100
    3 phones who used 10GB each was $160, it will be impossible but limited to $100

4 phones who used 2GB each was $120, it will be $90
    4 phones who used 5GB each was $2000, it will be impossible but limited to $100
    4 phones who used 10GB each was $320, it will be impossible but limited to $100

So the large plans will definitely see the biggest benefit, but will also be forced into submission on how much data an account can use. Cutting back on data use is about the only course of action for a 4 or 5 device household with anything more than moderate usage.

That is just for data. You forgot to add in the new line access charges.

Right now my total line access charges for a 700m unlimited text plan is $120 for four lines (2 smart and two feature). On this new plan it would go up to $140. If I had four smartphones it would go up to $160. Personally I do not care about unlimited minutes. We have 700 minutes with four lines and barely use 200 of them.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    G-Nex (fon), OGD1(alarm clock)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveIrv View Post
    Thought I read somewhere recently that the "new every two" thing is about to go away.

The "new every two" thing wasn't really THAT anyway......it was a $50 discount on a new phone replacement on your primary line. Nothing for the second line. The only way I ever got a discount on the purchase of a new phone for my wife was to make her keep hers for 3 years.....
    I think NE2 is gone. It was phasing out (my last upgrade had it available), but i could get my new phone (galaxy nexus) for cheaper online anyway. (my ne2 was only $30, and vzw had an online discount of $50 that didnt stack, iirc)
Page 4 of 92 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Links