DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Samsung Confirms Canadian Galaxy S3 Coming June 20th with 2GB of RAM & Dual-Core S4

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    I watched a video of the S4 vs a quad core cpu and there was virtually no difference.
    if thats true than either the test wasnt intensive enough or the quad-core needs to go back to the drawing board. by definition the quad-core should have noticeable differences.

B
    Trying to decide on my next phone. I am torn between the DNA and the SGS3.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tgyberg View Post
    Agreed, I never come close to using the full gig of ram that I have now. And look at the D3, it's not choking with only 512mb either..
    Exactly. I can run 2GB on a computer just fine and it can do a lot more RAM-intensive stuff than I can on my phone. Like you, I have 1GB RAM and am never remotely close to filling it. Part of that is thanks to the way Android kills off background processes and manages memory, but I don't even notice it in my operation. I can seemlessly flip between many tasks. Until the software starts to catch up, these hardware improvements mean nothing.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Double post.
    Last edited by tjk629; 05-31-2012 at 09:48 AM.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017
    I don't understand the need for 2GB RAM at this point...unless you are doing some crazy multi-tasking, it's useless. Our phones aren't replacing our computers yet, and unless they start being able to perform some of the RAM-intensive processes that computers are capable of, upgrading the RAM is nothing of significance imo.

I know that hardware generally comes along much quicker than software, but aren't we nearing the point of tapering off in the hardware department (aside from the battery)? Shouldn't we be focuing on running software to get the most out of our phones already extensive capabilities, rather than simply putting more hardware into something (that for 99.9% of the population wont' even notice in d2d operation)?
    RAM is super cheap right now. So, it's kind of a whatever move for Samsung. Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85

still defeats the purpose. The SGS3 was supposed to be the first quad-core phone on the market. either release it now on 3G or wait till you work out the bugs for it to drop on LTE. dont pull the quad-core just to push the phone. it makes no sense. if they were that money hungry they would have kept the quad-core and released a 3G and LTE model.

B
    You could still have an exynos CPU and LTE. The LTE radio just wouldn't be part of the SoC. So there would be bulk to the phone. Which as we know is a no no.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Phone
    Droid 4/ Bionic/ RAZR/ Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017
    I don't understand the need for 2GB RAM at this point...unless you are doing some crazy multi-tasking, it's useless. Our phones aren't replacing our computers yet, and unless they start being able to perform some of the RAM-intensive processes that computers are capable of, upgrading the RAM is nothing of significance imo.

I know that hardware generally comes along much quicker than software, but aren't we nearing the point of tapering off in the hardware department (aside from the battery)? Shouldn't we be focuing on running software to get the most out of our phones already extensive capabilities, rather than simply putting more hardware into something (that for 99.9% of the population wont' even notice in d2d operation)?
    Well think of it this way right now the dual core is car that can go 75 mph an the front side bus is the speed limit which i would assume is slower than the processor most smart phones are an the ram is the freeway. so yes we have a really fast car an yes we have a freeway that is wide enough to support more cars (ie. Data) with the 2 gigs of ram which i personally believe is the perfect amount for dual an quad cores way to much for single cores.
    But when we start getting into cpus of higher computing power or more cores which will probably be awhile before we see one in a smartphone then 2 gigs of ram comes into question what they need to focus on is the fronside bus speed no one really ever looks at that. they only look at the cpu an ram well people ur device is only as fast as ur front side bus.
    so unless u upgrade the frontside bus ur phone will only get incremental improvements as u upgrade the cpu an ram an can also be more prone to data congestion cuz unless u increase the frontside bus u have to keep adding ram to offset the congestion an u keep adding higher end cpus to increase the speed where the frontside bus is limiting u an causing the problem
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    RAM is super cheap right now. So, it's kind of a whatever move for Samsung. Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal.
    More RAM will also drain the battery quicker. Unused RAM is wasted RAM because RAM uses power whether in use or not in use. Battery life is one of the few things we still have to complain about with our smartphones. If people keep buying these phones simply because of the hardware improvements, battery life won't get addressed for some time.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    if thats true than either the test wasnt intensive enough or the quad-core needs to go back to the drawing board. by definition the quad-core should have noticeable differences.

B
    Why my dual-core S4 is as good as your quad-core | Android Central
    BJPalmer85 likes this.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The S4 krait that will most likely be in the us sgs3 is right up there with the quad core. The s4 uses a15 cores whereas the exynos uses outdated a9 cores. Don't get me wrong, the exynos is a beast and will probably be a bit more future proof when apps/games become quad-core optimized, but overall the s4 is almost equal in terms of everything else. The a15 cores are also more efficient which probably allow it to use 2gig ram without sacrificing battery life.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    If you feel so stronly about the quad core thing, buy the Euro version of the GS3 and run it on AT&Ts HSPA+ network. Supposedly, you can even get away with running it off of an AT&T "medianet" data plan with HSPA+ speeds for only $15/month, which is an "unlimited" data plan for dumb phones. It might cost you about $700-800 however, but if youre forced to get this out of contract with Verizon bc of you want to keep unlimited data, the difference may only be $100 or so.
  10. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    still defeats the purpose. The SGS3 was supposed to be the first quad-core phone on the market. either release it now on 3G or wait till you work out the bugs for it to drop on LTE. dont pull the quad-core just to push the phone. it makes no sense. if they were that money hungry they would have kept the quad-core and released a 3G and LTE model.

B
    No, that was the HTC One X. And that phone, just like the SIII, substituted a dual-core processor on the LTE versions of the phone.

Honestly, in regular, everyday use, you won't see a huge difference between the two processors. And to me, LTE is infinitely more important than a quad-core processor that will show no noticeable difference in 9 out of 10 tasks.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 05-31-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    johnomaz likes this.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links