DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: [Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    Oh I see. My mistake then. When other companies started throttling, it was only a matter of time before Verizon jumped on board. I think nobody believing was simply because they didn't want to believe you.
    Exactly, and I got tired of arguing with them about it. They felt that they were grandfathered and were entitled to unlimited data till the end of time. LOL

I told them that they were foolish if they believed that, that at some point VZW would start throttling, and if that didn't coerce people to leave for tiered plans, that they would just start forcing people off. Some laughed at me. Who's laughing now? :-)
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid 2 global
    And as far as it wasn't meant to replace your home broadband. I average between 2 and 4 a month. I'm no data hog but don't make a phone capable of doing everything your pc will and then get all twisted because I'm using it. I live in a place where home internet option services are expensive and unreliable. For some people its our only real option.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    All i know is that as a truckdriver in the oilfield service industry here in the Ark-La-Texas region, my razr is my lifeline for me 14 hours a day. I am often on remote lications for hours at a time without another human for miles. When working outside my truck, i keep my bluetooth on my in case of accident or emergency. When sitting on location idling, i surf the net, watch utube videos, jam to pandora, and keep in touch with family on facebook. My razr is my nav-screen with all these desolate locations saved in memory on the maps. Vzw gives me near-perfect coverage and all the uses i daily put my razr through save me many headaches and possibly one day my life. I gues that i have just become accustomed to getting what i've been paying for on a system that works well for my in my particular circumstance.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm369 View Post
    And as far as it wasn't meant to replace your home broadband. I average between 2 and 4 a month. I'm no data hog but don't make a phone capable of doing everything your pc will and then get all twisted because I'm using it. I live in a place where home internet option services are expensive and unreliable. For some people its our only real option.
    The problem is that they offered unlimited when phones didn't do all that much.

As phones got more and more powerful and the internet itself started shifting more and more to a mobile environment, unlimited today is 10x the bandwidth and strain that it was only a few years ago.

if you offered unlimited gas for $30 a month at a time when every car got 50mpg, but then over time they all started getting 10mpg, would you still keep offering unlimited gas at that price?

Nope. Nobody would. And while I understand your situation, your inability to get decent internet service is not your cell phone carrier's problem.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    The problem is that they offered unlimited when phones didn't do all that much.

As phones got more and more powerful and the internet itself started shifting more and more to a mobile environment, unlimited today is 10x the bandwidth and strain that it was only a few years ago.

if you offered unlimited gas for $30 a month at a time when every car got 50mpg, but then over time they all started getting 10mpg, would you still keep offering unlimited gas at that price?

Nope. Nobody would. And while I understand your situation, your inability to get decent internet service is not your cell phone carrier's problem.
    This is an interesting point IMO, I wonder if VZW would be smart enough to increase the Data bucket sizes when they go to family plans and then possibly in the future offer an unlimited 4G $40 a month plan for those who need it!

Recently I have been using more wifi, but after using only 500 MB last month I am thinking maybe we need to all increase the average use to get those numbers up. If they are basing their packages on average use it might make sense to drive them up to show them what is really needed when wifi isnt available. In July I plan on a trip out of state where I will be 4G/3G the entire time, I am sure i will hit 2G in that week alone!

As mentioned before I welcome the family data plans but they need to get the pricing vs. quantity right!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonixmon View Post
    This is an interesting point IMO, I wonder if VZW would be smart enough to increase the Data bucket sizes when they go to family plans and then possibly in the future offer an unlimited 4G $40 a month plan for those who need it!

Recently I have been using more wifi, but after using only 500 MB last month I am thinking maybe we need to all increase the average use to get those numbers up. If they are basing their packages on average use it might make sense to drive them up to show them what is really needed when wifi isnt available. In July I plan on a trip out of state where I will be 4G/3G the entire time, I am sure i will hit 2G in that week alone!

As mentioned before I welcome the family data plans but they need to get the pricing vs. quantity right!
    Verizon will certainly make it so you'll save some money by switching to the tiered plans. The question is, how much? I rather enjoy the security of unlimited and it would have to be a pretty damn good deal to get me off of it. I'll just buy my phones outright until that no longer grandfathers me. But VZ will NEVER....I repeat NEVER offer unlimited anything again. They're trying so hard to push people off of it now. They don't want to open the flood gates again. Sure, they can't throttle 4G at this time, but that doesn't mean they want you using unlimited amounts of it.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Verizon will certainly make it so you'll save some money by switching to the tiered plans. The question is, how much? I rather enjoy the security of unlimited and it would have to be a pretty damn good deal to get me off of it. I'll just buy my phones outright until that no longer grandfathers me. But VZ will NEVER....I repeat NEVER offer unlimited anything again. They're trying so hard to push people off of it now. They don't want to open the flood gates again. Sure, they can't throttle 4G at this time, but that doesn't mean they want you using unlimited amounts of it.
    Even if on 4G and paying full price for phones, I don't see the grandfathered Unlimited plans lasting more than a year.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    Even if on 4G and paying full price for phones, I don't see the grandfathered Unlimited plans lasting more than a year.
    And that very well could be the case. Even if Verizon continues to allow grandfathering if you avoid contractual updates, I may switch when my contract runs out anyway. There are cheaper options that fit my data needs and still get decent cell coverage. I also want another Nexus, but I seriously doubt VZ will get another one.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    And that very well could be the case. Even if Verizon continues to allow grandfathering if you avoid contractual updates, I may switch when my contract runs out anyway. There are cheaper options that fit my data needs and still get decent cell coverage. I also want another Nexus, but I seriously doubt VZ will get another one.
    Yeah, when my contract runs out I will be evaluating carriers. I think that going the Nexus route makes sense, both my girlfriend and I like customization and ROMs. We both have Rezounds with S-Off so we can install whatever we want, but we are still at the mercy of whatever leaks HTC and VZW release, as well as waiting for source code for the real work to begin. All we have are modded leaks, and some ports from other phones. Decent, but not what you can get on the Nexus.

So our next phones will be Nexus phones, and it may be with Sprint if they still offer Unlimited plans. I think that they should hold out and keep them, as being the only carrier to offer them gives them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm369 View Post
    Ummm, it's not VZW making your phone and Android capable of all that (and when they try to limit services the natives go ape-crazy). And no one ever forced you to do everything on your phone, instead of your pc, just because you can.

It just amazes me how unlimited mobile data has become a necessity for some people. I wonder how they ever survived just two years ago. "Uuuuuughhhh....Torch app better than fire. Me light cave with Droid. Uuuuuggghhh"

Just saying...when gas prices started skyrocketing, people started changing their usage patterns. And the world didn't end.
    Last edited by kodiak799; 05-31-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Page 50 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast

Links