DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new Samsung Galaxy S III?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love the SGS3 and can't wait to get my hands on it!

4 11.43%
  • I can't stand the SGS3. It is a big disappointment.

3 8.57%
  • I really don't care about the SGS3. I am happy with my phone or interested in a different one.

17 48.57%
  • I am curious about the SGS3, but need to check it out in person before I decide.

11 31.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Samsung Says the Galaxy S III Uses the PenTile Display Because it Lasts Longer

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Says the Galaxy S III Uses the PenTile Display Because it Lasts Longer

I will leave it up to you guys to decide if this is just a convenient excuse or a valid argument. Samsung has come forward to address disappointment that the new Samsung Galaxy S III will still feature a PenTile Matrix, instead of a Super AMOLED Plus display. They shared that it was a conscious choice that was in the best interest of the consumer. Apparently, they chose the PenTile display because it lasts longer without degradation than their own Super AMOLED Plus display. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Samsung states that Super AMOLED Plus displays have a tendency to deteriorate over time, especially the blue subpixels, which actually degrade the fastest. Since PenTile displays feature fewer blue subpixels, they will last longer, says Samsung. Also, since the pixel density of the S III’s screen is much higher due to its high resolution, the PenTile issues are minimized and most people cannot see the difference in quality.
    So, does this change your opinion about the SGS3? Did it even matter to you to begin with?

To make things even more interesting, we've decided to turn this into a poll. Make your vote as to whether you are excited by the new Galaxy S3, you hate the new SGS3, you are ambivalent about it, or you will have to wait to see it before you make a decision.

Source: TalkAndroid
    Last edited by dgstorm; 05-14-2012 at 07:49 AM.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Phone
    note 2
    Premium Member
    Maybe it's cheaper for them to go this route?
    gunit34328 likes this.
  3. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    ^^ I was thinking this same thing...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    This is the reason I try to stay away from Amoled screens. In 2 years I want to pass my phone off to another family member WITHOUT having screen burn-in issues. The oversaturated colors of these displays also make it harder to determine if you've taken a good camera shot or to do photo editing with any accuracy. On the plus side, they do enhance gaming and video watching, so to each his own.

I think it's also unfortunate that ICS has all these blue hues/icons everywhere which are going to degrade these screens faster. Would be interesting to know exactly how long a true Amoled and a Pentile screen holds up before you can notice the burn in.
    AC Shade

Yes my avatar is a chicken....WITH A CAMERA ON ITS HEAD!!!!
    Typed from some sort of computing device, but probably from my LG G2 which is fun to say over and over and over again...
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    The screen tech doesn't bother me. If it looks good to the eye, who cares about the tech behind it? Do you really think having slightly better blacks or colors will make a big difference on such a small screen. its not a 60" flat screen TV.
    Xplorer4x4 likes this.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Where are all the PenTile screen Bashers at? Me personaly I dont mind the PenTile Screen in the BIONIC, but the screen on the LG 4x HD looks amazing. I hope they bring this phone or a similar version to the U.S.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    In a word, yes. To some people it matters & to others it doesn't. Notice that Samsung said '...most people won't notice the difference..."

Also, geeks love their specs. Some people won't buy a device simply because spec A is better than spec B and that phone has spec B. End of story, crash, bang.
    AC Shade

Typed from some sort of computing device, but probably from my LG G2 which is fun to say over and over and over again...
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    I would think that these screens would last 2-3 years either way (as long as they're not on 24/7) - the technology will be obsolete and people will be buying new phones on new contracts before there's any significant screen degradation. This is just their PR reasoning for using a different screen that costs them less.
    akhenax and gunit34328 like this.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Possibly, although some people like myself shy away from Oled screens because of the burn-in issue and Samsung knows this. There are threads on the GNEX where people did not buy the phone due to the Amoled screen (It's one of several reasons why I did not purchase it).

Your 2-3 year life estimate is probably spot on for most users, but I've seen phones that were burned in after just 6 months (very heavy usage though). Not all users want to throw away their phones after 2 years also, so Sammy is obviously trying to pacify them.

Finally, some food for thought. Smart phone usage is really starting to increase. With more apps, games and useful tools, many people have their phone's screen on for multiple hours every single day whereas one or two years ago, those same people may have used the screen for 5-10 minutes at a time here and there.
    AC Shade

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    On such a small screen there will be virtually NO visible difference. The only people who care would be the people who are tech-geeks and know this information. If we told everybody that that Super amoled WAS used even though it really was this "PenTile" I bet there would still be a ton of people bragging to other people about how awesome their screen is because of the super amoled. Placebo effect.
    tjk629 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links