DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Hulu May Require a Cable or Satellite Subscription Soon

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2078 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Rumor] Hulu May Require a Cable or Satellite Subscription Soon

It was fun while it lasted... This could be the statement that a lot of folks will be uttering in the near future in regards to watching TV shows on Hulu. Apparently, Hulu is being pressured by the cable and satellite companies, and sometime soon users may be required to prove they have a subscription to cable or satellite TV in order to use the Hulu service. Right now this is just a rumor, but supposedly Hulu and its content providers have been discussing this possibility since 2009, and eventually Hulu may just have to capitulate to their demands. In the mean-time, the more likely outcome could be that instead of having to prove that you already pay for cable or satellite, there will be a delay of between 1 and 30 days for you to watch the show compared to when it airs on the cable and satellite stations. Here is a quote from TechCrunch with the details,

We just talked to a source close to Hulu. According to our source, Hulu and its content providers have talked about this move toward authentication since 2009. Our source noted that Hulu has no interest in being a first mover here and that a requirement for authentication is likely still a few years out. Hulu, however, does want to be a good partner and may have to give in to its partners’ pressure soon or later. Even though an authentication requirement isn’t likely to happen right away, though, our source notes that what could happen relatively soon is that the content providers could require longer delays before their shows become available on the service for non-subscribers. Cable subscribers, under this model, would get access to a show on Hulu the next day, while non-subscribers would have to wait at least 30 days. This model would likely also apply to Hulu Plus subscribers.
    If this eventually does happen to Hulu, it would pretty much ruin its whole business-model, as it would become a puppet of the cable and satellite companies. In fact, the source of this article indicates that one of the three parent companies of Hulu, Providence Equity Partners, is attempting to sell their stake in the company because they see the writing on the wall as far as the future of the service goes. What do you guys think?

Source: TechCrunch
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    They are smart to get out while they can, especially if the above happens. So I got a Hulu Plus subscription because you can't watch Hulu on a Roku without Plus. But behold!!!! The TV show that I want to watch, even though I'm paying for Plus, is not available on my device and is only viewable from a desktop computer. Hulu Plust = Canceled the next day.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    hothfox
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
    If we have to authenticate and prove we are subscribed to a cable provider, that completely takes away the point of me having Hulu+. The whole point of me subscribing to Hulu+ was to avoid having to pay for cable to watch TV shows. If they go to this model, or the delay is any more than a couple days, I'll definitely be unsubscribing, though will not pick up cable either. Doing this just pushes people to pirate shows again.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD :)
    Well I am against forcing people to have cable, especially for networks that broadcast OTA, but Hulu has to make money to survive. It does suck that some shows are not available, I canceled my Plus as well for that reason.

So people are to spoiled and think you should get something for nothing.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    If I have to wait more than a few days to watch a show on Hulu+ because I'm not a cable television subscriber, I'm cancelling my membership. It's bogus enough already that the company either can't or won't put out an app that works on most Android devices. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll be back to just having Netflix.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I was thinking about cancelling my dish service in a few months when the contract is over. I just don't watch much and when it is on, its channel surfing or watching repeats. Its a waste. I was going to get Hulu because I have a remote set up on my computer and an HDMI hookup to my TV from it too. But if they are going to require an existing service to use the service, I'll just go to each website and watch my shows from there. Hulu is a convenience because they are all there at once place. I can however just bookmark the sites I need and watch them like that. Hulu will fail if this happens.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    This will definitely ruin hulu. I cancelled my directv and subscribed to hulu plus. I already wait 24 hours to watch my shows (no big deal) but if I have to wait 30 days I will find other means to watch my shows "free".
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    hothfox
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by clintro View Post
    So people are to spoiled and think you should get something for nothing.
    Not at all. Hulu+ subscribers are paying $8 / month for Hulu+. This gives us access to TV shows and movies with ads on several devices, and most of the TV shows go up 1 day after they go on cable. If they wanted us to pay more, they'd charge more. If I weren't paying for the service, I wouldn't complain, because then, yes, I'd be getting something for nothing.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    hothfox
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by djkms View Post
    This will definitely ruin hulu. I cancelled my directv and subscribed to hulu plus. I already wait 24 hours to watch my shows (no big deal) but if I have to wait 30 days I will find other means to watch my shows "free".
    Exactly! By requiring Hulu users (maybe Netflix too at some point?) to prove they subscribe to cable, cable providers are just shooting themselves in the foot. People will find other ways to get their shows for little to no cost before they pay for cable.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    This is indeed a poor business model and seems to defeat the entire purpose of Hulu. I'm glad I never signed up for their so-called Plus service.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links