DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 289
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

  1. Junior Droid
    anewton's Avatar
    Member #
    214509
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    19
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle King 76 View Post
    Apparently you did not read my post. I can absolutely guarantee that I am less distracted with a cell phone than without. This is not opinion or up for you to tell me differently. Have you been in a car with me? If not,how can you say what does or does not distract me? If you want to argue that people in general are more distracted on the phone, that i can agree with but my post was simply stating that I personally am more focused on the road on a phone than without.
    Because...you're somehow BETTER than everyone else, and the usual rules don't apply to you. We get it... (rolls eyes)
  2. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #72
    Quote Originally Posted by anewton View Post
    Because...you're somehow BETTER than everyone else, and the usual rules don't apply to you. We get it... (rolls eyes)
    It has nothing to do with being better. It's simply realizing you're on the phone and making an effort to focus more on your surroundings than on your phone conversation.

    sent from my phone
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  3. Master Droid
    Jungle King 76's Avatar
    Member #
    130395
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Back and forth between AZ and PA
    Posts
    929
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    #73
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    It has nothing to do with being better. It's simply realizing you're on the phone and making an effort to focus more on your surroundings than on your phone conversation.

    sent from my phone
    Glad someone gets it. Too many less intelligent users just make smart remarks when they can't comprehend something.

    See your other list and you captured exactly what I was saying. I never did I was better or whatever, just that if I am alone in the car I tend to get complacent and less focused.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  4. Master Droid
    Josefius's Avatar
    Member #
    76001
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    311
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    josefius
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #74
    I hope this goes through, so annoying in traffic. Too many morons who don't at least use a Bluetooth headset. I don't know how many times I've seen people driving at night looking down at their phone in their lap face illuminated not watching the road.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    --


  5. Droid
    Ziggie's Avatar
    Member #
    93821
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle King 76

    Glad someone gets it. Too many less intelligent users just make smart remarks when they can't comprehend something.

    See your other list and you captured exactly what I was saying. I never did I was better or whatever, just that if I am alone in the car I tend to get complacent and less focused.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
    The sad thing is you just don't get it.

    Ridiculous statements about increased levels of concentration because of cellphone usage does not make it true.

    Driving while on the phone is more distracting than driving without being on the phone.

    Find a study anywhere that states otherwise.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  6. Rescue Squad
    TisMyDroid's Avatar
    Member #
    171269
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,462
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Josefius
    I hope this goes through, so annoying in traffic. Too many morons who don't at least use a Bluetooth headset. I don't know how many times I've seen people driving at night looking down at their phone in their lap face illuminated not watching the road.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Me too... the number of times I've watched a person talking or texting on their phone and driving worse than a drunk is enough proof for me that it is too dangerous and too difficult for the general public to handle.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  7. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
    The sad thing is you just don't get it.

    Ridiculous statements about increased levels of concentration because of cellphone usage does not make it true.

    Driving while on the phone is more distracting than driving without being on the phone.

    Find a study anywhere that states otherwise.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
    Unless, while not on the phone, you tend to be more relaxed, since you're not doing anything but driving - something you're used to doing day in and day out, and could easily get complacent about. Then, you pick up a phone, and realize "Hey I better pay closer attention to what I'm doing now", so you're constantly checking your surroundings and actually becoming more aware of what's going on around you because the cellphone has taken you out of that state of complacency.

    The problem isn't the phone. The problem is a person's (and I'm speaking to myself on this as well) inability to keep the mental focus where it should be - and anything can take away from that.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Xplorer4x4's Avatar
    Member #
    45078
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Evansville,IN
    Posts
    1,007
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    #78
    Quote Originally Posted by eaks14 View Post
    See this is going to far. Their shouldn't be a law for this type of thing. I live in Washington and we have a state law for this and it doesn't stop anyone from using their phone wile driving. You even see Police Officers on their cell phones wile driving not to mention their radio. It's the same thing as the seat belt law. Aren't we adults? Do we really need some one to tell us what to do and how to do it? I mean come on, their's laws on everything these days basically for more revenue from tickets, etc. What happened for one's own self being responsible and reliable for what they do and the consequences.
    In regards to the police, I feel they should be allowed to use there phones while driving if it is businesses related, same for the radio. These are tools they need to do there jobs. Sure some people need there phones for work, but there job is not that of the police to protect and serve the community.

    However, I do generally agree with your feeling on the law. We have to draw the line some where. Seat belts are a great example! Why should I have to pay a fine if I get caught not wearing my seat belt? If I die in an MVA because I did not have my seat belt on it is my fault and it is not going to directly effect others involved in the MVA. However, talking on the phone can be enough of a distraction where the cause and effect could jeopardize some one else's life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saryon View Post
    This is an excellent example of why the federal government is out of control! This and countless other issues need to be dealt with at the state government level and here's why: Let's say for example this law passes. Now it's the STATE'S responsibility to implement it, enforce it and handle the problems that arise because of it. All of this is taking monies AWAY from programs that should be funded due to training of state representatives, creation and publication of said new law, the list goes on and on. All the while the state could be using the money for important things, like education, infrastructure, etc.
    How can this take money away? The police will enforce the law and you are given a ticket. You have to pay the fine/ticket and then that money goes in to the city/county/state allowing law enforcement, for example, to buy new cop cars. The money can go to the fire department to buy, lease or repair the trucks they need to minimize property damage and save lives. The money can go towards public schools being bale to buy new text books or, in this day and age, new laptop or repair broken laptops.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Do these people not understand that my phone is my CD player and GPS? How come I can play with standalone versions of those but can't listen to music or figure out where I'm going using my phone? We need to fight this. It's not an all or nothing legislative move that we need here. Then again it's already illegal in PA, and it hasn't stopped me yet...

    There was a talking/driving ban in Philly...it got overwritten by the state law...
    The state law does not over ride it completely. If it is illegal by city/county law, it is still illegal in that city/county. Look at medical marijuana for example. It is illegal on a federal level, but yet it is legal on both a city and state level in some places. In those places you can use Medical Marijuana legally according to the state government but not the federal government.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raydee35 View Post
    I think 75% of the people on the road can barely drive a car, let alone talk on the phone and drive. I am all for the ban of cell phones in vehicles. It will suck for everyone including myself but I think it will be best for everyone.
    I suspect you are to focused on the title rather then the details of the article. In the article it says "The proposed ban applies to any vehicle, on any road, in any state, and covers both talking and texting with a cellphone. " Based on this statement it does not state that using other functions such as navigation will not be allowed. None the less I have to dispute your estimate of 75%. I think the number should be higher . I would say that, at least where I live, that should be about 90% of drivers, and surprisingly a good majority are not using a cell phone. I could go on and on when it comes to bad drivers, but 1 example that stand out in my mind, I once was traveling on a 4 lane road near the movie theater by my house. A woman starts to pull off the side street that serves as the main entrance/exit from the theater and make a left turn to go east but pulls out in to the center most westbound lane of traffic and stops. She is stopped in the lane for oncoming traffic at a very busy stretch of road, and looks at me crazy because she is in my lane and I was flashing my brights at her(in the day time) and honking repeatedly to GTFO of the oncoming traffic lanes! She was not even on a phone.



    Generally speaking in regards to the article itself, a complete ban is probably the easiest way to go. I feel that the general idea here is good, but rather then out right ban talking on the phone while driving, implement some sort of big brother feature that, for example, the cell phone detects the user is driving the vehicle, it will be limited to a 30-60 second conversation. This allows for quick simple calls illustrated as examples in this thread such as "pick up this and that from the grocery on the way home," or "don't forget that (insert kids name here) football practice ends at 4PM instead of 5PM today. I generally dislike the big brother aspect but in this case I will gladly put up with it because I keep my phone conversations short and sweet when driving anyways, and because it minimizes the maount of time the user is going to be interacting with the phone while driving. Granted some people will find a way to get around it which might force a complete ban. Radios are often blamed as a major distraction, but generally I can manipulate my almost completely by touch alone. I may glance down for a second just to ensure I have my finger on the right button, but generally I know exactly how far it is to move my hand from my center console shifter to my radio volume knobs or track buttons. Now the radio is a bit different story but that is simply because I never listen to the radio and only play CDs.
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!


    Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

    I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!
  9. Droid
    BlownSi05's Avatar
    Member #
    19947
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    61
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    #79
    This issue I have with creating a new law like this is that the state and federal governments are still not looking at the root cause of most accidents.

    How about the states and federal government come together to improve driver education and testing. Lets make it more difficult to get and keep a license. Hey, you didn't use a blinker to change lanes or make a turn?....you get pulled over and ticketed, no questions. If you can't merge properly on the interstate, you don't pass your driving test.

    Plain and simple, it is too easy to get a drivers license and keep it. Not only that, the traffic laws that are already in place are not enforced.
  10. Droid
    Ziggie's Avatar
    Member #
    93821
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #80
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownSi05
    This issue I have with creating a new law like this is that the state and federal governments are still not looking at the root cause of most accidents.

    How about the states and federal government come together to improve driver education and testing. Lets make it more difficult to get and keep a license. Hey, you didn't use a blinker to change lanes or make a turn?....you get pulled over and ticketed, no questions. If you can't merge properly on the interstate, you don't pass your driving test.

    Plain and simple, it is too easy to get a drivers license and keep it. Not only that, the traffic laws that are already in place are not enforced.
    +1

    Well said.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
    jntdroid and acousticshade like this.
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
  5. Las Vegas Federal Courthouse Shooting
    By cereal killer in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Search tags for this page

powered by mybb car seat
,
powered by mybb drivers club
,
powered by mybb remove car radio
,
powered by mybb secretary of state
,
powered by mybb state radio
,

powered by mybb term

,

powered by mybb turn the radio up

,

powered by mybb washington state

,

powered by vbulletin cdl class a

,
powered by vbulletin how many people own cell phones
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+