DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 289
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

  1. Master Droid
    Jungle King 76's Avatar
    Member #
    130395
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Back and forth between AZ and PA
    Posts
    929
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
    I'm not trying to start a quarrel here. My drunk driving point is valid. Your level of distraction while talking on a cellphone versus without is not a matter of opinion. I do not have to observe you to know that you are not as focused while talking on a cellphone than when you're not.

    I'm assuming that you are in fact human and therefore possess a limited number of things you can focus on. One thing, I'd bet you're pretty darn good. Two things, not quite as good as one. Three things, and now you start missing more than you did with just two. It goes on from there...

    Its just kind of silly to even make the argument that you are more focused while driving and talking on a cellphone. You're just not.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
    I agree it is not about a quarrel but you are still missing the fact that you cannot say how one person acts from the next. Is it true that your stance is true for the average person or most people? Yes, of course. But not every mind operates the same. If you keep claiming that "I" personally focus better without, and that I am silly for thinking otherwise, you are in fact stating an opinion because unless you know how I operate, you cannot say for sure.

    Yes, I am human, but not all human brains work the same. If that were the case, we would not have those that see letters backwards, or those that can learn an entire language in a few days, etc. Now, I am not saying that I am special or whatever but I actually have to have more than one thing to focus on. I can not focus on just one thing. So, I say again, for me, using a cell phone in a quiet car does cause me to be more focused.

    If my wife is in the car, or my kids, I cannot help but take my eyes off the road from time to time to look at who is talking to me. On the phone, my eyes never leave the road.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  2. Droid
    Ziggie's Avatar
    Member #
    93821
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle King 76

    I agree it is not about a quarrel but you are still missing the fact that you cannot say how one person acts from the next. Is it true that your stance is true for the average person or most people? Yes, of course. But not every mind operates the same. If you keep claiming that "I" personally focus better without, and that I am silly for thinking otherwise, you are in fact stating an opinion because unless you know how I operate, you cannot say for sure.

    Yes, I am human, but not all human brains work the same. If that were the case, we would not have those that see letters backwards, or those that can learn an entire language in a few days, etc. Now, I am not saying that I am special or whatever but I actually have to have more than one thing to focus on. I can not focus on just one thing. So, I say again, for me, using a cell phone in a quiet car does cause me to be more focused.

    If my wife is in the car, or my kids, I cannot help but take my eyes off the road from time to time to look at who is talking to me. On the phone, my eyes never leave the road.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
    I know what you're saying about the wife and kids being in the car. It can be ridiculously distracting. I know that I have had more distracted driving problems under those conditions than when I've had while driving alone and talking on a cellphone.

    My point is that adding a cellphone to driving under any conditions makes the underlying situation worse. There are days I wish I could drive without the wife and kids. That's not going to happen though.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  3. Droid Ninja
    LoudRam's Avatar
    Member #
    149879
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    1,222
    Liked
    139 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #53
    It has already been pointed out that most states have laws in place. Why would we want a federal law for this? It's a state issue and its up to the state and local police to enforce it. The federal government is already way to bloated. And who on the federal level is going to enforce this? The FBI? Give me a break. Bottom line... It's a state issue. And I do agree 100% with a ban on using hand held phones while driving. Bluetooth is another story. I would love to see the police crack down on ALL distracted driving whether it's talking, texting, putting on makeup, getting changed, whatever. I'm sure all of us have a ton of stories to tell about idiot distracted drivers.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
    Droid does...Apple bites

  4. Droid
    Ziggie's Avatar
    Member #
    93821
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudRam
    It has already been pointed out that most states have laws in place. Why would we want a federal law for this? It's a state issue and its up to the state and local police to enforce it. The federal government is already way to bloated. And who on the federal level is going to enforce this? The FBI? Give me a break. Bottom line... It's a state issue. And I do agree 100% with a ban on using hand held phones while driving. Bluetooth is another story. I would love to see the police crack down on ALL distracted driving whether it's talking, texting, putting on makeup, getting changed, whatever. I'm sure all of us have a ton of stories to tell about idiot distracted drivers.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
    I agree with LoudRam's last four sentences. The beginning though is why I think the state vs fed argument doesn't matter.

    If the states don't do something then the feds should. The feds would not "enforce" it, the states would. If the feds pass a law then they just tie federal highway and law enforcement funding to compliance with the federal law.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  5. Master Droid
    xsylus's Avatar
    Member #
    14658
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ, USA, Earth
    Posts
    882
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 • Cricket Wireless
    #55
    While I agree that driver's should be focused on driving and not texting I'm so dad-gum tired of the fed gov over reaching, over stepping, and abusing their power. Most issues like these can be handled on a state by state basis. The fed gov is micromanaging. Delegate authority to the states and let them figure it out. The fed gov is out of order.
    “Innovation is not the product of logical thought..." ~Albert Einstein
    _________________________
  6. Nice Guy
    aaf709's Avatar
    Member #
    6126
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    4,181
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudRam View Post
    I would love to see the police crack down on ALL distracted driving whether it's talking, texting, putting on makeup, getting changed, whatever. I'm sure all of us have a ton of stories to tell about idiot distracted drivers.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
    I've seen enough drivers using cell phones (without Bluetooth) while driving to realize that this kind of law will be very hard to enforce. About the only way to prove someone was using a cell phone is if there's an accident.

    Speaking of which, one of the first thing I learned in Driver's Ed was that even if you are a great driver (More focused because you're using a cell phone) doesn't mean that everyone else is. And they're the ones to worry about.
  7. Senior Droid
    RUSHgsxr's Avatar
    Member #
    159212
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    124
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    #57
    Why don't we just enforce the laws we have, like if a person is at fault for causing an accident, specifically one that caused an injury, they are dealt with appropriately with fines or jail time if someone was severely injured or killed? There's already freaking laws, why the heck do we need to keep heaping more and more on instead of enforcing what's in place? You can be injured getting out of bed in the morning, we don't need the government to try and protect us from everything we'll do in life. Cars are dangerous, get over it. If it's too d#%n scary for you to leave your house in the morning, don't. Or we can just let the gov't keep doing whatever they want and we'll see where that gets us in a few years.....
  8. Droid
    Ziggie's Avatar
    Member #
    93821
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #58
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    Speaking of which, one of the first thing I learned in Driver's Ed was that even if you are a great driver (More focused because you're using a cell phone) doesn't mean that everyone else is. And they're the ones to worry about.
    Thanks aaf, that was amusing.
  9. tc1
    tc1 is offline
    Master Droid
    tc1's Avatar
    Member #
    3042
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    586
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #59
    Texting or face booking while driving should be serious fines.

    I live in a college town and the freeway runs right through the college. I have to drive past it going to work and coming home.

    I get almost smashed into every single day often while my 2 year old is with me

    ALWAYS it is a idiot young woman either texting or posting /checking fb while merging onto a major freeway.
  10. Master Droid
    mysticalmalissa's Avatar
    Member #
    51812
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Top of the Rock, TN (Sequatchie)
    Posts
    423
    Liked
    99 times
    Twitter
    shehippie
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note2 & Gnex
    #60
    I'm 47 and have yet to lose a friend (and hope I never do) to a drunk driving accident, but have lost 2 in the last three years due to texting while driving.

    I'm all for it!
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
  5. Las Vegas Federal Courthouse Shooting
    By cereal killer in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Search tags for this page

powered by mybb car seat
,
powered by mybb drivers club
,
powered by mybb remove car radio
,
powered by mybb secretary of state
,
powered by mybb state radio
,

powered by mybb term

,

powered by mybb turn the radio up

,

powered by mybb washington state

,

powered by vbulletin cdl class a

,
powered by vbulletin how many people own cell phones
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+