DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
    Whoever said that the posters are missing the point when they are discussing the merits of the law itself instead of whether the feds should allowed to do it versus the states is themselves missing the point. The point is that someone should pass the law.

I honestly don't think anyone here can make the claim that they are more focused and less distracted while driving and talking on their cellphone than when they are driving and not talking on their cellphone.

Driving while talking on a cellphone is more dangerous than driving without talking on a cellphone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
    Actually, I can say for sure that when i drive while using my cell, i absolutely pay more attention to the road because I am aware that the phone "could" distract me and it forces me to be more aware. When i am in the car driving with no "distractions" I tend to get comfortable and almost complacent. Turn the radio up and sing along, chatting it up with the wife, laughing along with my kids, etc. But if I am on the phone, I am no longer complacent, the music is turned off, the wife and/or kids are quiet.

Bottom line, when i am on the phone, I am far less distracted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle King 76

Actually, I can say for sure that when i drive while using my cell, i absolutely pay more attention to the road because I am aware that the phone "could" distract me and it forces me to be more aware. When i am in the car driving with no "distractions" I tend to get comfortable and almost complacent. Turn the radio up and sing along, chatting it up with the wife, laughing along with my kids, etc. But if I am on the phone, I am no longer complacent, the music is turned off, the wife and/or kids are quiet.

Bottom line, when i am on the phone, I am far less distracted.

"I'm more focused when I'm drunk because I know I'm drunk."

Further, remove all of your other distractions and then add a cellphone. You are more distracted while driving while talking on a cellphone than you are than if you're driving without.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    "I'm more focused when I'm drunk because I know I'm drunk."

Further, remove all of your other distractions and then add a cellphone. You are more distracted while driving while talking on a cellphone than you are than if you're driving without.

Apparently you did not read my post. I can absolutely guarantee that I am less distracted with a cell phone than without. This is not opinion or up for you to tell me differently. Have you been in a car with me? If not,how can you say what does or does not distract me? If you want to argue that people in general are more distracted on the phone, that i can agree with but my post was simply stating that I personally am more focused on the road on a phone than without.

The drunk thing is just ridiculous and a poor attempt to make a point.

4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    This is absolutely a state issue and not a federal one. As someone stated earlier, it's sad no one cares about that. Govt just keeps getting bigger and bigger and if no one cares to stand up against them it's just going to get worse.

It's also rather sad that we're at the point where they're trying to make laws as to when we can use our freakin cell phones...
  5. Nice Guy
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    As I said before, in California it's the law to be handsfree when using a cell and even so I see many people still holding a cell next to their ear. If the Federal Government passed a law, I probably wouldn't see a difference.

I saw a 1950's Popular Science (or maybe Mechanic's Illustrated) that showed a prototype of a safe car. The driver sat in the middle in a raised area sticking their head out of a dome. They had no access to the radio as that was for the passengers.

While we're talking about rights, there was a woman on talk radio a few years ago that said she had the right to drive in the carpool lane by herself because she was pregnant and the fetus counted as the second person. Kinda funny as if that's true, all pregnant women drivers are guilty every time they get behind the wheel as it is against the law (in California) for 2 people to wear the same seat belt and to have 2 people behind the wheel.

Yeah one of the major reasons for accidents is the loose nut behind the wheel, whatever the reason.

I was rear ended in 2010 and one of the first questions the insurance person asked was, "Were they using a cell phone?" It's easy when there's an accident as it appears that if you're involved in an accident, and using a cell phone, you're guilty.
    Last edited by aaf709; 04-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    If folks would simply drive in a normal, safe manner to begin with we wouldn't have to worry about all this. I've always always backed off a few more feet from the car in front of me when I'm using my cell phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle King 76

Apparently you did not read my post. I can absolutely guarantee that I am less distracted with a cell phone than without. This is not opinion or up for you to tell me differently. Have you been in a car with me? If not,how can you say what does or does not distract me? If you want to argue that people in general are more distracted on the phone, that i can agree with but my post was simply stating that I personally am more focused on the road on a phone than without.

The drunk thing is just ridiculous and a poor attempt to make a point.

I'm not trying to start a quarrel here. My drunk driving point is valid. Your level of distraction while talking on a cellphone versus without is not a matter of opinion. I do not have to observe you to know that you are not as focused while talking on a cellphone than when you're not.

I'm assuming that you are in fact human and therefore possess a limited number of things you can focus on. One thing, I'd bet you're pretty darn good. Two things, not quite as good as one. Three things, and now you start missing more than you did with just two. It goes on from there...

Its just kind of silly to even make the argument that you are more focused while driving and talking on a cellphone. You're just not.

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Can we please stay clear of the politics here? (state vs federal law)...not supposed to talk politics here for a good reason-it trends to turn into nasty arguments...
    Just stick to whether or not the law should be passed...
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    Whoever said that the posters are missing the point when they are discussing the merits of the law itself instead of whether the feds should allowed to do it versus the states is themselves missing the point. The point is that someone should pass the law...
    Did you actually read the article?

Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    ...A federal ban on all cellphone use while operating a motor vehicle has been proposed by U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. The proposed ban applies to any vehicle, on any road, in any state, and covers both talking and texting with a cellphone. LaHood pointed out that 38 states already have laws on the books banning or restricting the use of cellphones while driving, but this new federal law would supersede those...
    Is it that those state laws aren't good enough for you or is it that you think you or the Federal Government know so much better how those other 12 states should run their roads? Does your state already have a law banning cell phone use in some manner? If not, you should petition your state legislature to enact a law to make you feel safer, not the Federal Government who doesn't even possess the ability to enforce the law you're supporting.
    Last edited by Narsil; 04-27-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    colorfulbliss likes this.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    My point concerning federal versus state is that it doesn't matter. If the states aren't getting on board then the feds should. Paranoia about federal intervention versus state intervention is diluting the core question: should we ban cellphone use while driving?

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Links