DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 289
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

  1. Droid Ninja
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    Member #
    160016
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,198
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtaylor77 View Post
    I see elderly people do stuff like that all the time. You're right, most people think they are good drivers. A lot are not. These particular women probably don't drive well with or without a phone. Texting and driving is beyond dumb in my opinion. However, people who can't talk on a phone and drive probably don't need to be driving anyway.
    True, but that would probably encompass 80% of the population. The point is, we need laws like these because most people are too stupid to do the right thing, so they need a $250 fine and risk of their license getting suspended in order to motivate them. It sucks that it has come to that, or soon will, but apparently people won't do it unless we make it too painful for them NOT to do it.

    I also think that after a certain age, you should have to have an eye exam and a road driving test every 2 years. It sucks to get older and not be as good as you used to be, but again, the bottom line is public safety. We cannot have innocent people dying because we don't want to bruise your ego, you know?
  2. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Squire you bring up a scenario which is exactly why it's a problem - and man I would've been pissed. But I think JK's post at the top of the previous page (here) is why I have somewhat of a problem with just making it a blanket cellphone ban, ignoring other things. Plus, again, how do you regulate it? Should it be a broader "distracted driver" law? And even then, how do you regulate that? There would be a lot of subjectivity on the officer's part in making the call - in some scenarios anyway. In your scenario, I guess that'd be a no brainer. Or if they saw a woman putting on make-up or something like that, that would also be a no-brainer. So maybe it wouldn't be too terribly difficult... I don't know.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  3. Droid Ninja
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    Member #
    160016
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,198
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Squire you bring up a scenario which is exactly why it's a problem - and man I would've been pissed. But I think JK's post at the top of the previous page (here) is why I have somewhat of a problem with just making it a blanket cellphone ban, ignoring other things. Plus, again, how do you regulate it? Should it be a broader "distracted driver" law? And even then, how do you regulate that? There would be a lot of subjectivity on the officer's part in making the call - in some scenarios anyway. In your scenario, I guess that'd be a no brainer. Or if they saw a woman putting on make-up or something like that, that would also be a no-brainer. So maybe it wouldn't be too terribly difficult... I don't know.
    How about this... You get into an accident. The police as part of the report are allowed to pull your phone records. If you were on the phone, texting, updating facebook, etc... You are automatically at fault and lose your license for 6 months. We treat DUI's this way, why not distracted drivers? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me if you ran me over because you were distracted by alcohol or Facebook. Dead is dead...
  4. Junior Droid
    robssm's Avatar
    Member #
    262466
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    I see this EVERY DAY. And if you asked all these people if they felt they were good drivers, 99% of them would say yes. This is why I support these proposed laws, even if it saddens me that we even need them.
    Flashback 10 to 15 years ago, when almost no one had cellphones.. And, on a bike, I saw this ALL THE TIME.

    Whenever you vote for a new law, the law gets abused by the powers that be. The true intent of this law is to put monitors on everyones cellphones to allow enforcement.

    It doesn't have anything to do with saving lives or any of the other things that would make sense, its just a gateway for govt intrusion.
  5. Droid Ninja
    JohnnytheK's Avatar
    Member #
    99673
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,342
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Not that this applies, but I had a GF that would dress in the car on the way into work! Make up and everything, she used to brag about giving make drivers a show. Dopy woman never caused a accident but I'm sure she distracted other drivers.

    Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx
  6. Junior Droid
    robssm's Avatar
    Member #
    262466
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    How about this... You get into an accident. The police as part of the report are allowed to pull your phone records. If you were on the phone, texting, updating facebook, etc... You are automatically at fault and lose your license for 6 months. We treat DUI's this way, why not distracted drivers? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me if you ran me over because you were distracted by alcohol or Facebook. Dead is dead...
    Uh, yeah, sure, give a few crooked cops a reason to have access to all your phone records, your bank accounts, etc etc. and this law goes bad really fast.

    Now, a bunch of guys who already have a bad attitude about you have your bank accounts, your facebook, your email addresses, your ebay account, etc.. Sounds like fun, esp. if you live where I do, and the biggest social security and identity breaches come from DMV and the Court databases..

    And, hell, why stop there? Did you know some states already have roadblocks and laptops with software that captures everything on your phone? Then, they try to tell people that not allowing them to download your phone is failure to obey an lawful order from an officer and you go to jail, because, once arrested, they then CAN download your phone. They use the fact that they can hold anyone for 24 hrs without a charge to download your phone, impound your vehicle, and cost you alot of money. Oh and some employers see that as "negative encounter with law enforcement" so now you can also be fired from your job.

    Just because you wanted to utilize your 4th amendment against unreasonable search and seizure? If you give them this law, just imagine what kind of psychopaths you are going to let loose on the streets with laptops, beating people down for not giving up their phones?

    No, this is insane, I really wish you would think over what kind of power you are giving the government.

    And, yes, dead is dead, downloading a stupid phone and all its data isn't going to do anything to bring anybody back. Way more accidents happen from boom boom stereo systems because people can't hear whats going on and it dulls the senses, so in your logic we should get rid of all stereos in cars?

    You cannot give the govt this type of power it will go so bad it will be insane. Even my police friends tell me its stupid and it is just a huge opportunity for abuse.

    JUST LIKE ANY SEARCH, THIS NEEDS TO REQUIRE A WARRANT TO STOP POSSIBLE ABUSE. ITS THE LAW FOR A REASON, TO STOP AUTHORITIES FROM GETTING OUT OF CONTROL.

    There were big wrecks long before cellphones, its just the media and powers that be want to be able to look at all your info without a warrant. Do not let them manipulate you with these mindgames and nazi style propaganda.

    Sit back and look at the facts for a minute. I don't know them off the top of my head, but I would guess that the stats show that messing with car controls and stereo causes way more accidents than phones. But, govt doesn't want to download your stereo settings. They want an excuse to get all your data and use it against you later, or, as in the UK right now, as a cause for precrime to prosecute you with. Say you don't like cheese, well, you are now involved in an conspiracy to kill cows. Yes, some arrests and cases are that stupid. Corporate run prisons want more profits which means more "paying" customers in jail.

    They used to say guns killed more children than any other item. Well, thats a lie. Wading pools and bathtubs kill more children.

    The facts are sometimes stranger than fiction. But, they remain facts.
    Last edited by robssm; 05-16-2012 at 11:04 AM.
  7. Master Droid
    Jungle King 76's Avatar
    Member #
    130395
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Back and forth between AZ and PA
    Posts
    929
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    How about this... You get into an accident. The police as part of the report are allowed to pull your phone records. If you were on the phone, texting, updating facebook, etc... You are automatically at fault and lose your license for 6 months. We treat DUI's this way, why not distracted drivers? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me if you ran me over because you were distracted by alcohol or Facebook. Dead is dead...
    Actually, this is already the case. A cop who pulls you over cannot search your phone but off you are in an accident, a court order can be issued to view your usage to prove you were texting or talking on the phone during the accident which puts the fault on you.

    To the poster with the long concern about bad cops having too much power, this is already a common used practice but the cop himself cannot touch your phone. The person you hit has to file a motion to the courts to get your records from your service provider.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  8. Droid Ninja
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    Member #
    160016
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,198
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by robssm View Post
    Uh, yeah, sure, give a few crooked cops a reason to have access to all your phone records, your bank accounts, etc etc. and this law goes bad really fast.

    Now, a bunch of guys who already have a bad attitude about you have your bank accounts, your facebook, your email addresses, your ebay account, etc.. Sounds like fun, esp. if you live where I do, and the biggest social security and identity breaches come from DMV and the Court databases..

    And, hell, why stop there? Did you know some states already have roadblocks and laptops with software that captures everything on your phone? Then, they try to tell people that not allowing them to download your phone is failure to obey an lawful order from an officer and you go to jail, because, once arrested, they then CAN download your phone. They use the fact that they can hold anyone for 24 hrs without a charge to download your phone, impound your vehicle, and cost you alot of money. Oh and some employers see that as "negative encounter with law enforcement" so now you can also be fired from your job.

    Just because you wanted to utilize your 4th amendment against unreasonable search and seizure? If you give them this law, just imagine what kind of psychopaths you are going to let loose on the streets with laptops, beating people down for not giving up their phones?

    No, this is insane, I really wish you would think over what kind of power you are giving the government.

    And, yes, dead is dead, downloading a stupid phone and all its data isn't going to do anything to bring anybody back. Way more accidents happen from boom boom stereo systems because people can't hear whats going on and it dulls the senses, so in your logic we should get rid of all stereos in cars?

    You cannot give the govt this type of power it will go so bad it will be insane. Even my police friends tell me its stupid and it is just a huge opportunity for abuse.

    JUST LIKE ANY SEARCH, THIS NEEDS TO REQUIRE A WARRANT TO STOP POSSIBLE ABUSE. ITS THE LAW FOR A REASON, TO STOP AUTHORITIES FROM GETTING OUT OF CONTROL.

    There were big wrecks long before cellphones, its just the media and powers that be want to be able to look at all your info without a warrant. Do not let them manipulate you with these mindgames and nazi style propaganda.

    Sit back and look at the facts for a minute. I don't know them off the top of my head, but I would guess that the stats show that messing with car controls and stereo causes way more accidents than phones. But, govt doesn't want to download your stereo settings. They want an excuse to get all your data and use it against you later, or, as in the UK right now, as a cause for precrime to prosecute you with. Say you don't like cheese, well, you are now involved in an conspiracy to kill cows. Yes, some arrests and cases are that stupid. Corporate run prisons want more profits which means more "paying" customers in jail.

    They used to say guns killed more children than any other item. Well, thats a lie. Wading pools and bathtubs kill more children.

    The facts are sometimes stranger than fiction. But, they remain facts.
    The government already has the power of life or death over you. Power over whether or not you text pales in comparison with that.

    Doubt me? Go buy some land. Pay for it outright, so you own it, right?

    Wrong, you have to rent it now from the local government, by paying taxes on land that you own. So you say, screw you, this is my land, I paid for it, this is America, I am not paying rent money on land that I paid for and own.

    Men with guns will come to take you away. If you try to defend yourself, they will shoot you in order to take you and "your land"...

    So like I said, they already control every other aspect of your life. If collecting $250 at a time for idiots that spend more time on their phones than driving were to become law, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...
  9. Master Droid
    meishkov's Avatar
    Member #
    37113
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    958
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Let's face it, basically the entire group of people That can't drive n text r people who can't perform basic multitasking whether It be in a car or in a controlled experiment. These aren't Droid forums users we're talking about here, it's a lower level of human brains. We only notice because their effect is magnified exponentially since it becomes abundantly clear they r inept at performing basic functions of the brain. Sad truth indeed, but truth nonetheless.

    Sent from my OG using DroidForums
  10. Master Droid
    silverfang77's Avatar
    Member #
    134412
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    882
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Go post that in the introduction forum.

    Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
  5. Las Vegas Federal Courthouse Shooting
    By cereal killer in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Search tags for this page

powered by mybb car seat
,
powered by mybb drivers club
,
powered by mybb remove car radio
,
powered by mybb secretary of state
,
powered by mybb state radio
,

powered by mybb term

,

powered by mybb turn the radio up

,

powered by mybb washington state

,

powered by vbulletin cdl class a

,
powered by vbulletin how many people own cell phones
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+