DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    This is mandatory viewing for all kids and parents in my school district before child can take drivers education. My son is in it now. My eldest saw it before she took drivers ed 3 years ago. Her phone remains off and in her pocketbook when driving.

I warn you it is graphic.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    This is mandatory viewing for all kids and parents in my school district before child can take drivers education. My son is in it now. My eldest saw it before she took drivers ed 3 years ago. Her phone remains off and in her pocketbook when driving.

I warn you it is graphic.
    This is no different than the fear mongering high schools do about unprotected sex and drunk driving. Now i'm not against education regarding these topics, it's the way it's being presented. Maybe if the public education systems had more capital they could come up with more creative ways to educate students. See what I did there ;-)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    I'm torn on this whole thing. On one hand, I absolutely loathe big government and nanny state laws such as helmet and seatbelt laws, smoking bans, the War on Drugs, etc. because whether or not I obey those laws, no one else is hurt by what i do.

On the other hand, too often, when a person uses a phone while driving, they are distracted by it and become a moving hazard. Two years ago, my friend and I were almost sideswiped by some dame who was texting while driving and was slowly veering into our lane. She realized what was going on and compensated in time, but I've never forgotten that.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Inevitable. Like back in the '60s n '70s where if u got pulled over for a dui they'd just give u a ride home or better yet follow behind u as u drove home. Just like how people used to sleep with their doors to their house unlocked. After awhile enough wreckless people ruin it for everyone.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Federal law governing driving?? I can't think of one other area they do this for driving. Driving laws are up to the states. This would get overturned, I believe, on appeal. No way should there be a federal law governing this in all states. Even the 55 mph interstate law finally got eliminated.

this is just dumb. Allow the states, and even local governments (city, etc) govern this. I can't believe we are going to make a federal case out of texting and driving. Not even drunk driving is a federal offense.
    colorfulbliss and Narsil like this.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Centura
    Premium Member
    For the record, being on the phone, whether with BT or not, you are 4x more likely to get in a wreck than a drunk driver.

I don't think the phone should be allowed to be powered on while driving.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I love what technology has brought us with cell phones ...sadly people refuse to use them. First off the primary job of the driver is to operate the vehicle. I get tired of trying to merge on the highway where trucks and other vehicles are going 75mph + and being behind someone who is entering at 55mph cuz he/she is on the phone. I am more than tired of the people that rides the lanes so you cant merge and you pull up to see they are too distracted with their conversation. We use our vehicles a lot and time will have it that we need to use our phone every now and then. But is it too much to ask to get a bluetooth...heck you can get a cheap bluetooth in car speaker set up for 50. We have apps that allow you to keep your eyes on the road and it will trasnscribe and read texts to you. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FBsdXNmcmVlIl0.)

Now the above is for a quick response or to deal with important issues because there will be times where we may need to talk and drive and when that happens your attention needs to be on the road and make sure people are using bluetooth or some type of hands free system. We cant blame this new law on "big brother" this is a result of idiots and we all are tired of having to drive behind or around people who are so wrapped up in their conversation that they forget they are on the highway. Heck I even saw one guy nearly cause a pile up pulling into a merge lane and slowing down.... guess what he was doing. He had one hand behind his head cushion the other holding phone to his ear chatting it up while driving with his knees (must had cruise control set).
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
    For the record, being on the phone, whether with BT or not, you are 4x more likely to get in a wreck than a drunk driver.

I think hands free (including bluetooth) is no worse than having other people in the car talking to you really...and i think it should be a non-hands free talking/texting ban not a complete cell phone use ban since smartphones have essentially replaced gps navigation devices and mp3 players...
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post

You are right to a point...but I can argue so can listening to music and driving. Yeah I think long conversations should be avoided. If its more than "You need me to pick up what... ok bye" .. , "I am driving is it an emergency", or "Dont for get to pick up ______ from _____ its already 5 mins until (activity) is over".

So yes there are times when you need to talk and drive and it can be done with out the need to pull over. Now if you need to do a business deal or something drawn out then I agree pull over or tell the person you will call them back.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I think 75% of the people on the road can barely drive a car, let alone talk on the phone and drive. I am all for the ban of cell phones in vehicles. It will suck for everyone including myself but I think it will be best for everyone.
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Links