DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Verizon Will Start Charging a $30 Upgrade Fee Starting April 22nd

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Verizon Will Start Charging a $30 Upgrade Fee Starting April 22nd

It looks like the days of a free upgrade (separate from the charge of the new phone) with Verizon are now gone. According to their own website, Verizon will now charge a $30 "upgrade fee" for existing customers each time they want to upgrade to a new phone. Here's the full press release from Verizon and the source link below. Incidentally, I know you probably want to throw a brick at your screen right now, but please don't "shoot the messengers."

04/11/2012
    On April 22, Verizon Wireless is implementing a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers purchasing new mobile equipment at a discounted price with a two-year contract. This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

While the upgrade fee is not unique to Verizon Wireless, most devices can be traded in with our green friendly trade-in program at www.verizonwireless.com/tradein as a way to save money or potentially offset the fee completely.
    ####
    Thanks for the tip, Trusstopher!

Source: Verizon
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Dear Verizon,

Screw YOU.

Sincerely,

Jerkwad

PS - Burn in HELL.
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @cush2push
    Phone
    Liquid Nexus v1
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Why hello swappa and craigslist if I had to get a phone from Verizon im paying the fee in pennies good thing i love phones that have been out forever og droid, fascinate, and my nexus but Verizon is like a little kid and seeing what they can get away with without going to timeout

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Blue

Galaxy Nexus
    JellyBean

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.
    They can't be serious. I've never experienced WORSE support and LESS knowledgeable staff than Verizon wireless employees, both online and at their corporate stores (well, this goes for all wireless providers). But the point remains, this is absurd and if they charge me $30 for the next phone, and i have to wait a long time in line to get the phone, only to have the sales person screw up my unlimited data plan, only to have a different idiot do a half-assed job of putting on a screen protector, only to have ...well you get the idea - i'm going to email and call until that $30 is refunded...it's hard to argue/complain when that service is free. But as soon as I start paying for it, you better believe I will be expecting GOOD service...i hope you all feel the same way and will make sure they hear from us when we aren't happy.
    Narsil, grgguy, sst45jeff and 2 others like this.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    No surprise. I don't know about Sprint or AT&T, but Tmobile does this. I'm surprised Verizon didn't jump on this sooner. Expect AT&T to follow.

I wonder if amazon will charge this fee.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by cush2push View Post
    Why hello swappa and craigslist if I had to get a phone from Verizon im paying the fee in pennies good thing i love phones that have been out forever og droid, fascinate, and my nexus but Verizon is like a little kid and seeing what they can get away with without going to timeout

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Blue
    agreed - i do love getting a phone from CL, and remaining out of contract - but that is ALSO going to cost me (and others) more as those phones sell for more than contracted phones, typically...it's just crap to see this kind of treatment considering we already pay more than any other carrier for the "service" that Verizon provides.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    stock rezound mavrom d3
    Start a petition and when enough people sign it they'll back up. They claim cost from things like workshops etc are the reason. I've never been to a workshop wtf. Sounds like big red is blatantly greedy

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Well they werent able to get the $1 payment fee implimented last yr and in doing this they would get an extra $6 every two years.. im not suprised they came up with another way to get as much money as possible but hopefully enough negative feedback will make them revoke it line their last brilliant idea..
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    should we start beating them up via twitter for this garbage...just sayin - DJTaT2 made a good point - enough bad press and maybe they'll do something. But $30.00 is a lot to pass up cuz of bad twitter press.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by jerkwad View Post
    should we start beating them up via twitter for this garbage...just sayin - DJTaT2 made a good point - enough bad press and maybe they'll do something. But $30.00 is a lot to pass up cuz of bad twitter press.
    Plus, they aren't the only carrier that does this.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57371339-85/down-with-upgrade-fees/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Links