DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Google's CEO Larry Page Believes Steve Jobs' Android Hate was just 'for show.'

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2040 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Google's CEO Larry Page Believes Steve Jobs' Android Hate was just 'for show.'

Here's an interesting twist that would have been hard to see coming had it shown up in a book or movie. According to a Businessweek interview with Google CEO and co-founder Larry Page, he actually had a good relationship with Steve Jobs, and was even mentored by him in many ways. In fact, Mr. Page believes that Steve Jobs' now famous declaration of "thermonuclear war" and his vow to "spend every last dime of Apple's money destroying Android" was merely for show. He further elaborated that it was likely a way for Steve Jobs to motivate his team by giving them a strong competitor to rally against. Here is the direct quote from the Businessweek article: (The bolded statements and questions were from the interviewer.)

According to the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, when you became CEO you went to Jobs for advice. I know you had your differences at the end around Android, but what did you take from him as a mentor and a friend?

I think the Android differences were actually for show. I had a relationship with Steve. I wouldn’t say I spent a lot of time with him over the years, but I saw him periodically. Curiously enough, actually, he requested that meeting. He sent me an e-mail and said: “Hey, you want to get together and chat?” I said, “Sure, I’ll come over.” And we had a very nice talk. We always did when we had a discussion generally.

He was quite sick. I took it as an honor that he wanted to spend some time with me. I figured he wanted to spend time with his family at that point. He had a lot of interesting insights about how to run a company and that was pretty much what we discussed.

Wait, the fury around Android was for show?

I think that served their interests. For a lot of companies, it’s useful for them to feel like they have an obvious competitor and to rally around that. I personally believe that it’s better to shoot higher. You don’t want to be looking at your competitors. You want to be looking at what’s possible and how to make the world better.
    That's a surprising take on things, and an interesting glimpse into the "behind the scenes" of the tech world. What do you guys think? Was Steve Jobs' malice toward Android genuine, an act, or something in-between? And, how do you guys feel about Larry Page's optimistic and forward-thinking view on business?

Source: Businessweek
    Last edited by dgstorm; 04-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Seems plausible. Not sure if it worked to rally the engineers and programmers since they tend to be using a lot of Android features, but it sure did rally the patent lawyers.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    I think a lot of it is for show... business is business, and especially with Google / Apple, they had a good relationship before Google/Android took off. So I'd be willing there was mutual respect, despite the marketing hype that was a business thing.
    pc747 likes this.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Android is for folks who can think and can figure things out and want options.
    Apple isn't.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    d2vzw
    Quote Originally Posted by nikecar View Post
    Android is for folks who can think and can figure things out and want options.
    Apple isn't.
    android is for people who like android. Apple is for people who like apple. I like android.
    johnomaz, djsiva and pc747 like this.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Do not turn this into an android vs. apple argument... the news article clearly shows the respect Page/Jobs had for each other, why don't we keep with that theme...

Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    @Android4life28
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

Here's an interesting twist that would have been hard to see coming had it shown up in a book or movie. According to a Businessweek interview with Google CEO and co-founder Larry Page, he actually had a good relationship with Steve Jobs, and was even mentored by him in many ways. In fact, Mr. Page believes that Steve Jobs' now famous declaration of "thermonuclear war" and his vow to "spend every last dime of Apple's money destroying Android" was merely for show. He further elaborated that it was likely a way for Steve Jobs to motivate his team by giving them a strong competitor to rally against. Here is the direct quote from the Businessweek article: (The bolded statements and questions were from the interviewer.)

That's a surprising take on things, and an interesting glimpse into the "behind the scenes" of the tech world. What do you guys think? Was Steve Jobs' malice toward Android genuine, an act, or something in-between? And, how do you guys feel about Larry Page's optimistic and forward-thinking view on business?

Source: Businessweek
    I finished the Steve Jobs bio a few days ago and thought exactly this. Jobs had told Page that the recipe for success was focusing on only like 3 or 4 products.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
    Sent from my HTC Rezound
    Rooted Unlocked and Ready to Rock!

Current ROM: Newt's One XxX Sense 4.0

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Steve Jobs was unaivailable for comment.

Seriously though, Jobs declared war against a force of more freedom (Android) while Apple's platform awed us with it's LAUGHABLE level of UNsophistication and COMMITTED LACK of openness, etc., etc. Jobs sold out. An amazing rollercoaster ride of integrity. Dr. Page is too nice.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 04-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    The irony of that statement, alongside your name, is that the iPhone has no bloatware and has the carriers bending over for them much moreso than Android.
    OneTenderRebel and pc747 like this.

Guidelines of Conduct
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    The irony of that statement, alongside your name, is that the iPhone has no bloatware and has the carriers bending over for them much moreso than Android.
    Bloatware, one thing to fight on Android. Comparatively, Apple products were designed in Mt. Doom. THROW IT BACK IN THE FIRE, iphone users.

I'm not sure what carriers bending over to get the popular phone has to do with this other than to show just how high Jobs' BS train climbed.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links