DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [Rumor] NVIDIA Tegra 4 Rumored to Have Kepler Architecture and up to 64 GPU Cores

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2054 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Rumor] NVIDIA Tegra 4 Rumored to Have Kepler Architecture and up to 64 GPU Cores

Well, even though Apple's new A5X chip may hold the reigning crown for GPU performance in the smartphone world, it looks like NVIDIA wants to take that crown away and do so in a huge way. And, when we say huge, we mean reeedonkulous! If this rumor from a trusted source within the industry is to be believed, then NVIDIA's next chipset for smartphones and tablets, the Tegra 4, will share a similar Kepler architecture and 28nm manufacturing process to their current PC graphics line. Although we reported on this possibility previously, some new details regarding this mobile chipset have surfaced and they are astonishing! The new Tegra 4 will supposedly come packing from 32-64 GPU cores for its graphics horsepower engine!

That's not all. Apparently, this new chipset will also feature some of NVIDIA's new and more advanced efficiency enhancements. That coupled with the 28nm chipset size (versus the Tegra 3 using 40nm chips), means that this new chip may be the most battery efficient chipset ever for a smart-device. Keep in mind the time-line of tech advancements. The Tegra 3 is based upon core technology that is several years old (even though the chipset isn't actually that old), whereas the new Kepler architecture is based upon much newer ideas and refinements. Supposedly, we will see products announced with the Tegra 4 sometime later this year, with actual ship dates for those products in the beginning of next year.

Wow! And, we thought computers and console tech moved fast! Mobile tech is going absolutely bonkers!

Source: PhoneArena
    wicked and jroc like this.

3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    998 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    zoom zoom zoom
    tjk629 likes this.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Oh Yea just in time for my Bionic's 2 year agreement upgrade....Tegra 4 here i come.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    Damn that's a lot of cores.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Look at the resolution of the iPad 3 (or whatever they call it) - 2048x1536

My PC video card struggles to push that resolution with full details and effects turned on. With the resolution of some of these new tablets, they are going to need serious GPU horsepower to run full resolution, fully antialiased, with full ansiotropic filtering.

Edit: Hopefully, they back it all up with 1 GB or so of video memory as well.
    jroc likes this.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Can I at least try a Tegra 3 phone first......

Can I get my first quad core PC first.....I just thought of something....I have a quad core phone before I have a wquad core PC....wow....

Things sure have changed since the Motorola E815, the Samsung u740. Too bad I never experienced the Star Tac.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    For those who don't keep up with GPU news this is actually a pretty big deal. The GTX 680, the first Nvidia chip to use Kepler architecture is ~40% faster than the GTX 580, the previous flagship card using the 40nm architecture the Tegra 3 uses, and it consumes about 25% less power at max load on a die only 60% of the size.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Tech is advancing really fast but I think the smartphones and tablets are the testing ground for companies because the push out new phones ever 3-6 months. Like the IBM 1 Terabyte Chip Tech isn't going to make its way to smartphones and tablets as fast as NVIDIA's new Tech.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    How are they planning on providing adequate cooling for these new CPU/GPU's ???

I can see it now, you can not only play HD videos, but fry eggs on the Dinoglass (TM) display at the same time. Now that's efficiency!
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The only problem that I see is that Apple launched the king of all mobile GPUs , the A5X chip last year and Tegra 4 is still a project. Even If they manage to release the chip by the end of this year it still takes around 6 months after that for the manufacturers to integrate the chip with the hardware. By that time Apple will have a new chipset for sure.
    Eric18 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links