DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Budget-friendly Ice Cream Sandwich Tablets from Coby on sale starting at $179

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Budget-friendly Ice Cream Sandwich Tablets from Coby on sale starting at $179

For those looking for an inexpensive Android tablet but want to hold out for one with Ice Cream Sandwich, then there is now an interesting option. The electronics company Coby has six new tablets, and two of them just went on sale. All of them are running Ice Cream Sandwich already factory pre-installed. Their prices range with features and sizes, from $179.99 up to $279.99. They all have nearly identical specs except for sizes, resolution and storage options. They each are using a 1Ghz single-core Cortex 8 CPU and 1GB of RAM, and their screens feature capacitive technology. They each have a MicroSD slot, HDMI and USB ports, and front-facing cameras. The 7-inch and 8-inch models have 4GB storage, while the 10-inch variants have 8GB. Here is a list of the different models:

• Coby MID7042 7 inch, 800 x 480 pixel display
    • Coby MID8042 8 inch, 800 x 600 pixel display
    • Coby MID9042 9 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display
    • Coby MID9742 9.7 inch, 1024 x 768 pixel display
    • Coby MID1042 10 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel display
    • Coby MID10245 10 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display

There is one caveat with these devices. As of yet, they only use GetJar for apps. For some reason they do not have official access to the Google Play Store/Android Market, although that may change in the future. Right now, only the MID7042 and MID1042 are available for sale on Coby's website. Supposedly, all of the tablets should start showing up at retail stores fairly soon.

For more discussions on the new Coby Ice Cream Sandwich tablets, feel free to check out our dedicated section over at AndroidTablets.net. You can find it @ Coby Generation 3.

Source: Engadget and CobyUSA
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    it wont take long someone will have a way of getting google market on there ..
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  3. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    Phone
    The GALAXY NEXUS
    Just sideload it. It's an apk like any other app.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Wow, so many different resolutions and screen sizes. That has to up production cost for so many different hardware configs.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    What is the point in having a 9.7" and two 10" tablets with different screen resolutions?? This is really going to confuse customers.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    Wow, so many different resolutions and screen sizes. That has to up production cost for so many different hardware configs.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    What is the point in having a 9.7" and two 10" tablets with different screen resolutions?? This is really going to confuse customers.
    the 9.7" and 8" are 4:3 aspect ratio, i see this pleasing every body i'd rather have 4:3 on a tablet than 16:9
    Droid > Droid X > Droid X2 > Galaxy Nexus
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Great, another competitor to the CVS Craig. CVS will have to step up it's game.

Seriously, why would anyone by a piece of junk like this. Splurge for the extra $30 and get an Amazon Kindle Fire. Or wait for the Asus Nexus tablet, which will blow this piece of crap out of the water.
    swc2001 and tjk629 like this.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Asus nexus tablet, that's what I'm waiting on.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
    tjk629 likes this.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I think we need to define what makes something a piece of crap? Is it the build quality? Is it the hardware components? Is it the CPU or speed of the CPU? If this Coby is a Dual core 1.5 Ghz demon, with 1 Gig of ram, maybe that should be good enough for $179.00. Just saying.

I did the whole name brand thing when I was in Elementary school. I don't go there anymore. If I can get a Vizio TV that does everything I need, with good ratings and is half that of the Sony, then so be it. Sure the Sony may have more bling, and more solidly built, but I can live with that.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Definitely not a dual core 1.5Ghz, single core 1Ghz, which is last year's technology. I'd gladly buy a vizio TV, would've years ago when they came out. Certain things u can tell the company did their homework on and will be a force to be reckoned with in That respective industry. Colby ain't it in my opinion.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

Edit: I mean Coby, not Colby. See, there should only be one Kobe, and he's on the Lakers already. This tab is a fail.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links