DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony shows love for devs; XperiaS Open Source archives available for custom ROMs

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Sony shows love for devs; XperiaS Open Source archives available for custom ROMs

Sony really seems to be going out of their way to improve their reputation with the Android smartphone community, especially with the devs. They recently made their entire source code archive for the Xperia S available directly to the community, specifically to help developers create custom ROMs and mods. In fact, they even included complete instructions on building custom ROMs and kernels for use on that device. How's that for showing some love to devs by going the extra mile?

With Sony's new high-end Xperia ICS phones expected to hit sometime this year, along with this amazing commitment to the developer community, could we finally see the rise of Sony as one of the big serious Android competitors this year? Share your opinion.

Source: Phandroid and SonyMobile
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    If they keep this up, I could see them gathering a much larger following in the future. Reaching out to the dev community is an excellent way to bolster a company's reputation. We tend to have some sway over what our non-tech-saavy friends/family members purchase.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    This is a good direction for sony! Keep it up! Some manufacturers could learn from this....*cough* *cough* moto.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using DroidForums
    Sent with the Ruler of All Machines! My Droid Bionic now featuring Ice Cream!
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    i think that this could make sony a huge contender. depending on build and radio quality .. could be interesting ,,
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    OG -> D2 -> Gnex
    Quote Originally Posted by trestevenson View Post
    If they keep this up, I could see them gathering a much larger following in the future. Reaching out to the dev community is an excellent way to bolster a company's reputation. We tend to have some sway over what our non-tech-saavy friends/family members purchase.
    ^this. Motorola needs to pay attention here. I personally have steered all of my friends and family away from Moto phones for their lack of dev love. That's close to fifty handsets in 2011 that moto lost out on and that's not counting what these people tell others after I swayed there opinions. I will not forgive. I will not forget...locked boot loaders!!!!!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I don't think Sony opening their code up to developers is going to make everyday people buy there device over another, but developers will be all over this for sure.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Twitter
    BlackBlizzNerd
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2/Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    I don't think Sony opening their code up to developers is going to make everyday people buy there device over another, but developers will be all over this for sure.
    I see myself having to agree with this. I for one would love to test this baby out in a ROM. But I don't know if it'll get people to want to switch over or anything like that.. more like just something fun for a ROM that's different than the "everyday" Android OS/ROM.
    II New Signature Finally! Made by Me II II Rooted Galaxy Nexus II
    II - AOKP AXIOM MORPHR - II
    II Want a signature like mine? Ask on Twtter! II

II Link to my work: http://tinypic.com/BenLand150 II
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    This peaks my interest big time. I am in no way a programmer and could never develop a rom, I'd leave that to those capable of doing it. If anyone was to ask me my opinion on what phone to get, I'd be inclined to suggest a Sony phone if this continues and turns out to be a very good thing. Quality of the hardware I am sure is high as its Sony.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  9. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Depends on the quality and specs of the hardware... if one of the open phones looks good and competes in looks, speed, and quality vs the other high-end devices, then I can see myself taking their phones in to consideration next year (when my next upgrade is)... But if they're going to put out sub-par devices then the openness means less and less to me. I want something I can be proud of, and want​ to use...
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I posted something about this over on xda two weeks ago or so. As sleek as Sony's phones look, this has been what's really made me look towards them for my upgrade at the end of this year. I've seen all the headaches the devs have to deal with and all the lag time to receive new Roms for moto products because of their locked bootloaders, via VZW, and lack of support.

The only issue I have is that all of Sony's sleekest, high-end phones lack keyboards, but if the package is right other than that I'd consider it worthwhile to go to the local fab shop and design a click on sliding BT qwerty. It's looking more and more likely that I will be leaving Moto behind.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links