DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Verizon adding Carrier IQ-esque diagnostics tool to some phones, but not as scary

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vatothe0 View Post
    Who's to say they're not already using an app you can't see to listen to your microphone at all times and see through your camera?
    Attachment 48453
    thats pretty easy to do actually. We have software on the forums after you log on that enables us......wait!! No! I meant that we..you know...of course not!! We don't do those things!!! Seriously...I swear!!!

Yeah that would be pretty stupid and illegal to do to say the least. BTW Vato where did you get that pic on the wall behind you? It's pretty awesome.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Oh that? Just a picture of tubgirl.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Twitter
    gmorgan056
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Idk, until we know more about how this new tool works, I instructed my wife who has a Charge, not to install the update.
    Rooted OG D1 running Liquid Gingerbread 2.6, Project Elite v6.5, Droid Concepts 12 and many more!
    Chevy No.1 Low V 1.1 Ghz Kernal

A Droid Bionic evolved into a Rezound which then evolved into a Nexus! Running whatever Rom I'm feeling for the day.

Questions about rooting: http://bit.ly/droot

Sent from my Nexus in a Galaxy far, far away...
  4. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmorgan056 View Post
    Idk, until we know more about how this new tool works, I instructed my wife who has a Charge, not to install the update.
    Problem is it's going to burn through her battery until she accepts it. It will keep prompting her and using up a lot of juice. Just an FYI in case she complains
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusstopher View Post
    While you may have the option to decline the connection, I wouldn't be surprised if they withheld customer support in response. And if a user runs a ROM without the app installed or uninstalls it themselves (requiring root I assume) wouldn't they be able to instantly flag your account/device solely on the fact they can't even request the connection to begin with? (talking more about devices down the road that are setup with it out of the box... lack of the app on existing devices could be explained by claiming that you are not allowing your devices to update)

Maybe I'm just paranoid.... now where did I put my foil hat?????
    Im not so sure, dont forget you can disable apps on ics which im sure is almost the same as freezing them or uninstalling them so any phone that updates to ics has a ready-made excuse right there
    Bob Dammit likes this.
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola, IPhone, Samsung

Even more scary in my opinion.

Verizon is using a modified version of logmein. Not saying it is bad. Kind of scarry that SCRs could login remotely and basically have remote access to my phone!
    At least with Carrier IQ you knew it was pulling a given set of data based off of the phone and that was it. You can see what options the carriers have by reviewing the document on their main web site. What the CSR's can see while remotely logged in is I am assuming everything which I would not care for.
    I also have concerns. Yes they say the end user must agree for the CSR to connect, but what protections are they taking in regard to users names and password to login? Also what prevents a malicious update from putting the app into stelth mode so someone really could login with out you knowing.
    I am not saying logmein it evil. I use it for my desktop and laptop systems, but what I do want to know is how Verizon is protecting it's users from potential risks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links