DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: [RUMOR] Nexus Tablet Is A "Done Deal" and Priced To Sell

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

[RUMOR] Nexus Tablet Is A "Done Deal" and Priced To Sell

This one is filed under rumor because details are scarce but much was revealed. The rumor comes from a senior employee at a supply chain company based in the US, who claims “it’s a done deal.” The most surprising and exciting rumor about the tablet is it's price. At a lean and mean $149.00, a lot of units should fly off the shelves and consumers wallets will be spared in the process. You're probably thinking at this price something had to be sacrificed, and you'd be correct. According to the source the Tegra 3 has been scrapped. What processor will replace the Quad Core was not revealed, but the tablet may see a TI-OMAP or perhaps something from Qualcomm's Snapdragon family. With chatter of Google working on “a tablet of the highest quality” it should be interesting to see what ASUS's final product ends up packing in the hardware department.

One outstanding question is if the the ASUS MeMo 370T was scrapped and replaced with the lower spec'd "Nexus Tablet." There are plenty of consumers who'd be willing to spring $249.00 on a Quad Core Tablet, so hopefully there is an option for more power under the hood. With the possibility of a lower spec'd Nexus Tablet does that change your mind on purchasing the device, or would you still be happy with a Dual Core from Qualcomm/TI OMAP?

Via: Android Tablets

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Dual Core is A-O.K. with me. Look at all the dual core phones out now, they handle anything and everything. especially for $150!
    Droid > Droid X > Droid X2 > Galaxy Nexus
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid RAZR
    As a current Asus Transformer Prime owner, I would not buy a Nexus Tablet with lesser specs, i.e. dual-core processor, less RAM, etc. If they do have a premium, higher-power option for a little more, I'd definitely go that route.
    johnomaz likes this.
    Droid RAZR 6.16.211 Rooted 4.0.4
    ASUS Transformer Prime stock 4.0.3
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I'd purchase one for the wife and kids. I do actually use my Transformer Prime for more than just a gaming, music and internet toy. AutoCAD, Video and photo editing, on the go etc. which even honestly I could probably get away with those tasks on that but likely not as quickly.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The 2 Nexus phones have been great with great specs. If the Nexus tablet is anything less, it will be a disappointment no matter what the price.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Forgive my skepticism, but I can't imagine any tablet of any remotely up to date technology being sold for $150.

edit: ...without taking some major technological or hardware related shortcuts somewhere!
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Forgive my skepticism, but I can't imagine any tablet of any remotely up to date technology being sold for $150.

edit: ...without taking some major technological or hardware related shortcuts somewhere!
    google has the cash to absorb the hit. this tablet will be all about getting android in the hands of millions and give android a good name, which is priceless to google
    WoZzY likes this.
    Droid > Droid X > Droid X2 > Galaxy Nexus
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I would be very interested at that price point. Worst thing I could do is give to my wife.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
    google has the cash to absorb the hit. this tablet will be all about getting android in the hands of millions and give android a good name, which is priceless to google
    exactly...they are going to have to subsidize these tablets quite heavily. this is very similar to what Microsoft's approach to Windows 8 on mobile phones. They said they will be offering top-tier Win8 phones for far less than what we are paying for top-tier Android phones. It's about getting it into the hands of the consumer and hoping for repeat business. Plus, google gets a little bit of money from each app purchase from the market. If they can flood the market with cheap tablets people are more likely to buy some apps for a few bucks here and there and eventually it will pay for itself AND have the benefit of better brand recognition when it is time to update - you know, in like 3 months, like the apple products ;-)
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I don't know....for that price it could be interesting. If you think about what you use a tablet for and what you really need, this may not be that underpowered. I want a great display, but you really only need a front-facing VGA camera for chats and you don't need phone capability or 3G/4G, just wifi.

Then I don't know if internal storage is cheaper, but I'd just add a few USB ports or micro-sd slots for memory. A dual-core processor with 1gig ram is probably plenty sufficient. For $150 (if that works) that's a real nice media device for around the house and at the coffee shop.
    WoZzY likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links