DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ZombieVille and Battleheart Developer Quits Android, Sign of Fragmentation?

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    I see Android as an "empire" that builds up and dominates very fast, and then because of the very things that lead it to greatness, it will implode in on itself.

I am interested to see where WM phones go in the future.
    Anything is possible and with WM coming onto the scene it just MAY impact Android neagatively. I think a lot of people are ruling out Windows Phone too quickly. These phones will have the hardware and the price to make a impact on the
    Smartphone Market. What sort of impact remains to be seen, but they just may come on like a fierce storm. It takes one phone to light a fire. Android saw it with the Motorola Droid and Windows may see it with the Nokia Lumia 900.

This is all speculation of course, but consumers are VERY fickle, and what's hot now can quickly fall out of favor tomorrow. I can't say with certainty that Android will continue to snatch up market share and eventually dominate the mobile space.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Anything is possible and with WM coming onto the scene it just MAY impact Android neagatively. I think a lot of people are ruling out Windows Phone too quickly. These phones will have the hardware and the price to make a impact on the
    Smartphone Market. What sort of impact remains to be seen, but they just may come on like a fierce storm. It takes one phone to light a fire. Android saw it with the Motorola Droid and Windows may see it with the Nokia Lumia 900.

This is all speculation of course, but consumers are VERY fickle, and what's hot now can quickly fall out of favor tomorrow. I can't say with certainty that Android will continue to snatch up market share and eventually dominate the mobile space.
    If Windows Mobile has powerful hardware, an amazing screen and all that, and if it offers decent apps and a nice level of customization, I would consider it. I don't need to root, if I can theme it and change it up a bit to look the way I want. If it is like Windows7 where you can easily download and apply themes and stuff, that would take care of most of the customization needs right there.
  3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    The Windows Phone customizations are pretty endless. There are some phenomenal developers out there working on those handsets.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    WinMo could surprise a lot of people if MS ever gets it right. That's a big if.

Another player/alternative is ultimately best for the consumer. Me, personally, I don't like to spend $ on apps and content unless it's really good/necessary. It's a sunk cost I try to avoid, and also one that will entrench you on that platform. That's a big reason I avoid IOS - I don't like the idea of all the money on content I'd potentially have to flush if I switch platforms, which is also why it's a brilliant strategy for Apple.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    All good points. I wonder if in the end Android will fizzle and burn out. The reason I say that is because it is obvious that having 100+ Android phones out there with all sorts of hardware configs, running all different versions of the OS, with different manufacturer and carrier crap on them, that while that gives us options, it may be too much for devs in the long run.

I mean, we have hardware out now that is all jumbled. We have hardware out that the current OTA software cannot really make use of, and by the time we actually get an OTA that does, our phones will be discontinued and left behind.

I love that we have all this freedom, but with that freedom comes a cost. Its hard to develop for, and it is hard to support. It is hard to update in a consistent and timely manner. Its hard to be 100% compatible.
    Easy way to solve it all - Tell all manufactures that Android phones must use:
    Choice of CPU: 1, 2, or 3
    Choice of GPU: 1, 2, or 3
    Screen Resolution: qHD or higher
    Android build: ICS or higher (realistically latest GB build)

That way, developers know they have to develop for, and know that one build can work for a bunch of different devices. Of course the problem with that would be a lack of diversity to Android handsets, but that could lead manufactures to develop skins/overlays/etc. that are actually WORTH having, but don't interfere with apps.

If I'm not mistaken, this is what Intel is doing with "Ultrabooks." If it doesn't mean a certain criteria, then it isn't labeled a Ultrabook. Google may need to start the same thing...
    Last edited by SwiftLegend; 03-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    One thing 127 Hours has taught me; Never forget the Swiss Army Knife, leave the "Cheap Made in China multi-tool" home.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links