DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Battle For CPU Supremacy: NVIDIA Calls Out Apple on Speed Claims of A5X vs. Tegra 3

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2054 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Battle For CPU Supremacy: NVIDIA Calls Out Apple on Speed Claims of A5X vs. Tegra 3

Unless you were living under a rock, or simply trying to avoid it, the big news yesterday was the launch of Apple's new "The New iPad" (what were they thinking on that non-name name?). During their press event, Apple made a big fuss about how much faster their A5X chip is than the NVIDIA Tegra 3. They even claimed that the quad-core GPU in their A5X was 4 times faster than the Tegra 3 solution. Of course, NVIDIA has come forward and called out Apple on these outlandish claims. Ken Brown, a spokesman for NVIDIA, called them to task. He indicated that it was “certainly flattering" that Apple made the comparison, but called their data "sketchy" at best. He elaborated,

“We don’t have the benchmark information. We have to understand what the application was that was used. Was it one, or a variety of applications? What drivers were used? There are so many issues to get into with benchmark. At some point it will become more clear what the performance really is. For now, Apple has a really generic statement.”
    It seems that Apple's statements may have ignited a benchmark war. We will soon see the "proof in the pudding" when the new iPad hits store shelves and some actual benchmark comparisons are made. What do you guys think? Could Apple's claims be true, or are they blowing smoke?

Source: Android.net via TalkAndroid

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    My Assumption would be that their claims are close to truth every apple device so far has been or has set the bar for performance in graphics.
    and do we really care??? if the A5X is better then good on them as this will push the competition to new heights. And we only benefit from this in the long run
    hate or love apple (and I don't really care one way or another) they make good products if they didn't they wouldn't sell. I'm very happy with my Acer A100 tablet, my Droid X and X2, my acer-one laptop, my Macbook pro 13", and my work Iphone. all of these products do what they need to do. Good on Apple if they just raised the tech bar again and here is to the chase. Huzzah i love technology ALL OF IT.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    team bamf 1.25
    franco francisco milestone 3 kernel
    love this phone best android phone yet
    custom roms and some apps fixed audio issue nexus is perfect now
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    jitter bug
    I wouldn't doubt if the claims are true either, probably just rounded to the nearest whole number. The GPU in the iphone 4s is still king of the hill even tho it came out last year. So of course it would make sense that a quad core version is going to perform much better. We'll just have to wait for anandtech to post benchmarks so see the exact numbers.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    If it ain't optimized for the OS (or vice versa I guess) it doesn't really matter.
    combatmedic870 and johnomaz like this.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    I am always skeptical of Apple's claims, as in the past they have outright lied in the PC market, to the extent that some countries made them pull their ads for "false advertising"...

They used to claim that they had the fastest PC on earth. But only if you ran specially optimized code and compilers on the Apple computer and ran outdated non-optimized code on the PC, and it was always in some very obscure application that almost nobody even used...

But hey, lets be honest... owning an Apple product has NEVER been about performance. It's about owning an Apple product and making sure that everyone knows that you have an Apple product...
    djsiva and havens1515 like this.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    As droid-life has already pointed out, Anandtech did plenty of comparisons between Tegra3 and the A5 and the A5 destroyed Tegra3, so it's most probably true that A5X does too. There's no reason to think Apple would just lie about their performance, unless of course you also subscribe to the Apple users are sheep, Apple is a cult, and Apple is evil theories, in which case you probably have other more pressing problems to worry about then benchmarks.

Or maybe Apple paid Anandtech, because as we all know Apple pays judges, courts, countries, companies, blogs and everyone else to lie for them....
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    As droid-life has already pointed out, Anandtech did plenty of comparisons between Tegra3 and the A5 and the A5 destroyed Tegra3, so it's most probably true that A5X does too. There's no reason to think Apple would just lie about their performance, unless of course you also subscribe to the Apple users are sheep, Apple is a cult, and Apple is evil theories, in which case you probably have other more pressing problems to worry about then benchmarks.

Or maybe Apple paid Anandtech, because as we all know Apple pays judges, courts, countries, companies, blogs and everyone else to lie for them....
    But they have gotten caught lying in the past, that's the point, so I always take their claims with a grain of salt.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    But they have gotten caught lying in the past, that's the point, so I always take their claims with a grain of salt.
    They have? When?
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    They have? When?
    This.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  11. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2054 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

I am not disagreeing with you, nor do I dispute your statements, but could you please send us some links showing Anandtech benchmarks where the A5 (a dual-core chip) "destroyed" Tegra3 (a quad-core chip). I just went to Anandtech, and while I admittedly only did a perfunctory search, I could not find any evidence of a benchmark where the A5 "destroyed," or was even compared, to the Tegra 3. I could have missed it, so I am perfectly willing to concede that it is true. It would be nice to see your statement backed up with a link.
    Last edited by dgstorm; 03-08-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Links