DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Microsoft: Android Phones Don't Get Updated, They are Buggy and Never Get Patched

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

Microsoft: Android Phones Don't Get Updated, They are Buggy and Never Get Patched

"Statistically speaking, no Android phones get upgraded, none, ever. They have big bugs, they don't even get patched. That's what we're seeing statistically out there."

That's what Microsofts new head of Mobile, Terry Myerson, said to financial analysts at the Mobile World Congress on Wednesday. He didn't stop there. Myerson also said that Apple's habit of releasing software updates for current iPhones is really just a way to sell more hardware. An audience member noted that Apple releases software updates for current phones, and was asking if Microsoft would do the same thing. He didn't answer the question, but instead chose to slams the Cupertino company:

I think Apple ‑‑ you're right, you can download iOS 5 for iPhone 3Gs, and it won't be usable, but it's possible to install .... It's a great hardware sales tool as far as I can tell. Install this OS which makes your hardware unusably slow, so then you feel compelled to go back to the store and buy a new piece of hardware.
    Mr Myers should think of getting a job in politics because on both counts, he couldn't be further from the truth. Android handsets are regularly updated, maybe not on the enthusiasts timeline of when they feel it's right, but nonetheless, the handsets are updated. The Droid X saw Froyo and Gingerbread. The list goes on and on. In regards to his assertions about Apple. Apple is known for its long term support of its devices. They are excellent in that aspect. Perhaps his failure to answer the question, is a reflection of where they are at in the development cycle of Windows 8 Apollo, and issues may arise with backwards compatibility in older Windows Phone handsets. We think Terry Myerson shouldn't be too quick to throw stones when he himself may be faced with the same scenario of older hardware not being able to run under the heavy demand of newer software.

Source:Business Insider
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    the biggest downfall of android headsets vs apple or maybe even windows phone is the sheer number of them out there . even by same manufacturer they produce 2-5 phones a year for each carrier. so that does slow the updating process down by quite a lot. but we do get the updates. and with most of us being on big red i am willing to wager VZW slows updating process down as well. dont know..
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  3. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    What a hypocritical statement form Myers. If he would just look at the history of the company he works for, the entire last two decades that Microsoft has existed they have always built software that had to leave people with older hardware behind to some degree. Sure, they tried to give backwards compatibility, but its impossible to always include everyone and still progress forward. This has been the relationship between software and hardware for as long as it has existed, and it will likely always be that way.
    cereal killer and gunit34328 like this.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    No Android gets updated...wow...

A quick search on Google, Bing, and searching different Android forums would tell him otherwise.

I guess you have to exaggerate to try to make your competition look bad.

Yea....he is waaaaay off base about Android and Apple.

And really..no one at Microsoft should be talking about updates or new software requiring new hardware...look how long it took them to answer the iPhone with an updated OS. And didn't the hardware requirements go up for Vista and XP....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
    Last edited by jroc; 03-05-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  5. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    *chuckle*

No comment on this
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    When you can't beat them through competition, try to crap on them.

That's the motto Microsoft seems to take.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    1.5, 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.2, 2.3, 2.3.5, etc.

I'm sure android never gets updated... *end of sarcasm*
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Although I will say as a sysadmin, MS does release very regular updates to their desktop OSes, and the server platforms as well. But since their phone is basically an afterthought rather than a serious contender, who will take HIM seriously? I'm no phone geek myself (I have rooted/modded Tbolt and Droid 1, but that's the extent of it), but I personally know nobody who owns a Windows phone. And I know quite a few colleagues and friends with smartphones.

Next thing you know, RIM (BlackBerry) will be saying all Android phones look alike. Oh...wait...
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    When you can't beat them through competition, try to crap on them.

That's the motto Microsoft seems to take.
    I was going to say apple does the same, but they litigate instead. Find some obscure, vague patent, then sue all the competition. What's my old saying again? When you can't innovate...litigate!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Maybe he used that terrible search engine called bing to do his research. He should have Googled it.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using DroidForums
    Narsil, gunit34328 and GBH2 like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links