DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Samsung Working Toward Bezel-Free Tech with Flexible Displays as Early as 2012

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Working Toward Bezel-Free Tech with Flexible Displays as Early as 2012

Samsung may be eliminating bezels on their smartphones as early as this year. A new report from Richard Windsor, a senior technology analyst at Normura Group, indicates that Samsung is striving to eliminate bezels in 2012 by bringing flexible displays to market sooner than expected. Supposedly, this new flexible tech will allow them to fold/wrap the screen around the sides of the phone and the material would be an unbreakable plastic substrate.

Here is a quote from Mr. Windsor,

We expect Samsung to mass produce such panels for smartphones in 2012, which we believe would be more popular that the current OLED display equipped in SEC’s Galaxy S II … Plastic displays will change the perception of handsets and tablet PCs in terms of design, thickness, and weight, and this would clearly differentiate Samsung’s products from others, in our view. This is why we like Samsung.
    This is interesting from multiple angles. Of course, the obvious is that it is pretty cool tech to be bringing to market, and could be a remarkable leap forward in technology. The second, is that this will put additional pressure on Apple, because now, Samsung will truly have some fairly disruptive new tech before Apple does. It seems like 2012 is going to be an exciting year for tech-heads!

Source: AndroidPolice

3. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Okay Samsung, you have my attention. Get this going and it could be really interesting. Larger screens with the same sized phones we're using right now.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    I remember talks years ago about roll up screens too. I'll be excited when I see an actual device they plan on releasing with this tech.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I'd like to see the actual application of the screens before I make my judgement on it. Sounds cool, but not sure how useful it will be, then again, thats why I'm not an engineer. I don't see the usefulness of it at this time.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I can see this being very useful.

If they make this work, I might actually get interested in their phones again.

Then again, they will still have Touch Wiz...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  7. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    They better patent it worldwide before Apple swoops in and sues em... This definitely has my attention tho, not sure how I feel about flexible phones, but bezel-less is definitely something I look forward to.
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    unbreakable plastic substrate -

This is the part I like the sound of!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    Seriously. A phone that looks like a sheet of glass with the dimensions of the SGSII. The usable screen running to the very edge of the glass on all sides accept for a very thin area at the top and bottom for the earpiece and microphone. The back is either ceramic or carbon fiber. No signs of plastic. Around the outside of the phone, only a thin band of chrome running around the sides. One physical button for power and one well hidden rocker for volume, NO home button.

If you need covers for your phone no need to apply. This phone is meant to be naked.

Ohh. Ohh... Ahhhhhh!

*splork!*
    stillwaiting likes this.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    No need for a cover would be a huge selling point. People could finally enjoy the thinness of a phone, which allows for bigger phones (sans bulky case) and screens with edge-to-edge.

Also interesting looking at that photo. Software would be able to place buttons on the side - you could have a side "app dock". LOTS of possibilities there, like changing that dock for call controls when your phone rings, or advanced controls when playing music or taking photos. Whole bunches of possibilities I'd never thought of.
  11. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    No need for a cover would be a huge selling point. People could finally enjoy the thinness of a phone, which allows for bigger phones (sans bulky case) and screens with edge-to-edge.

Also interesting looking at that photo. Software would be able to place buttons on the side - you could have a side "app dock". LOTS of possibilities there, like changing that dock for call controls when your phone rings, or advanced controls when playing music or taking photos. Whole bunches of possibilities I'd never thought of.
    But how would you hold the phone without accidentally hitting a button on the side of the screen? Just a thought.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links