DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Motorola's ICS Device Specific Update Plans Released

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycemiskel View Post
    Thank God for Nexus devices. Guess my wife won't be getting ICS any time soon.
    same boat I'm in. I have nexus and wife got razr. Guess she will have plenty of time to get used to gingerbread.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    I said i would not root my BIONIC because i became addicted to flashing roms every 5 mins with my OG Droid. but looks like i will have to bite the bullet on this to get some version of ICS before i upgrade again. Once i do upgrade again you better believe i will not be getting a Moto.(Should have waited for the Nexus).
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS
    Yall aren't looking at it from a software developer's mind....

4.0x just came out less than 3 months ago. Would you rather....

1) Put it on your flagship devices as fast as possible and watch the consumers moan and cry about stability and performance
    2) Wait until the bugs are ironed out and give the consumers a stable version of ICS

There's SO many things still needing fixed in ICS right now. I catch bugs or performance issues all the time on my nexus. Why risk it on millions of devices????

Even more importantly, do people NEED ICS?

Think about it

You got a new smartphone user. First smartphone ever (or someone who switched from BB/IOS)

They bought a Razr in Nov. It's Feb. Projected rollout for ICS is...let's say May. That's less than 6 months of learning gingerbread (which they don't even know they're running. I bet big money on that!) to being forced to update OTA to ICS....where it's nothing like GB. New features to learn. New functions. New swipes. New everything.

It's going to fluster 'em. AND it might have bugs since it's so early?!?!?! You got bad word of mouth on your hands and someone ragging Android in general out to all their friends!

The company I work at...we don't release software until needed and try not overlap if it ain't broke. If X runs 1.4 perfectly, and 1.5 is different....we keep them on 1.4 and let the new folks run 1.5 until it just makes sense to run 1.5 across the board.

The general public won't know/won't care that Moto isn't bringing ICS to you ASAP. And you probably should be happy you ain't getting it until it's ready. They promised it in the future, and you'll get it. Don't worry.
    gling and welsalex like this.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    i think this coincides with the news/rumors from last week about Google not directly supporting CDMA devices - the CDMA network poses special issues for these OS's.

i was originally pretty torn between the RAZR and GNex, and ended up with the GNex. very happy with my decision. but, this news really stinks for people (like CK) who factored into their buying decision the fact that their were reports/assertions that ICS would come to the RAZR in early 2012. i genuinely feel bad for them - they paid dang good money for a dang good device to Moto and VZW, and now Moto and VZW are jerking them around.

at this point, i think a simple firing of Jha is too good - there needs to be a public flogging to go along with it.
    "Maybe you guys need a refresher course - it's all ballbearings nowadays!!" -- Fletch

"Goonga Galoonga...No - Goonga Lagoonga..." -- Carl, "Caddyshack"
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    RazrMaxx/Droid1(retired)/dinc2
    Take your time Moto.. Get the bugs ironed out... Well maybe not THAT much time..

----posted maxx'ed out----
    idk5 likes this.

new server if any of my links are dead notify me, I got new links!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD (Rooted 4.1.1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpbulk View Post
    I will gone by then on to another device or devices
    Yeah, by the time most devices get the update the new phones just coming out should be ICS native... Unless they're dumb enough to keep putting out phones with stock gingerbread :|

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I hear people saying that you want it bug free and all that, but honestly when Moto releases it, it's still going to have bugs. It takes them way too long to do upgrades. Pretty much all devices have bugs, I would rather have a device with the newest OS than something old that's going to have bugs too. The bugs that are in ICS really aren't that bad, or maybe they just seem that way to me since I'm not running 4.0.2. You can't even run Chrome if you have GB. Maybe some people really don't care about updates, but me personally, I would like to have the most features possible and each update brings more functionality.
  8. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerkate
    i think this coincides with the news/rumors from last week about Google not directly supporting CDMA devices - the CDMA network poses special issues for these OS's.

i was originally pretty torn between the RAZR and GNex, and ended up with the GNex. very happy with my decision. but, this news really stinks for people (like CK) who factored into their buying decision the fact that their were reports/assertions that ICS would come to the RAZR in early 2012. i genuinely feel bad for them - they paid dang good money for a dang good device to Moto and VZW, and now Moto and VZW are jerking them around.

at this point, i think a simple firing of Jha is too good - there needs to be a public flogging to go along with it.
    I'm pretty good Husker. The handset has run perfectly and I'm not the least bit anxious to get ICS. I've seen it and used it. While its going to be great I can wait. No complaints on my end to be perfectly honest

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    futuristic_boi
    Phone
    Droid Razar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksoxing View Post
    Yall aren't looking at it from a software developer's mind....

4.0x just came out less than 3 months ago. Would you rather....

1) Put it on your flagship devices as fast as possible and watch the consumers moan and cry about stability and performance
    2) Wait until the bugs are ironed out and give the consumers a stable version of ICS

There's SO many things still needing fixed in ICS right now. I catch bugs or performance issues all the time on my nexus. Why risk it on millions of devices????

Even more importantly, do people NEED ICS?

Think about it

You got a new smartphone user. First smartphone ever (or someone who switched from BB/IOS)

They bought a Razr in Nov. It's Feb. Projected rollout for ICS is...let's say May. That's less than 6 months of learning gingerbread (which they don't even know they're running. I bet big money on that!) to being forced to update OTA to ICS....where it's nothing like GB. New features to learn. New functions. New swipes. New everything.

It's going to fluster 'em. AND it might have bugs since it's so early?!?!?! You got bad word of mouth on your hands and someone ragging Android in general out to all their friends!

The company I work at...we don't release software until needed and try not overlap if it ain't broke. If X runs 1.4 perfectly, and 1.5 is different....we keep them on 1.4 and let the new folks run 1.5 until it just makes sense to run 1.5 across the board.

The general public won't know/won't care that Moto isn't bringing ICS to you ASAP. And you probably should be happy you ain't getting it until it's ready. They promised it in the future, and you'll get it. Don't worry.
    No one cares how they feel! please the costumers
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    futuristic_boi
    Phone
    Droid Razar
    By the time the Razr gets ICS there will be a new OTA upgrade probably named Chessecake or something -_-
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links