DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Google Wallet Hacked Again: This time it's scarier - simple and no root needed

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Is it better to be right for the wrong reason, or wrong for the right reason?
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    A lockscreen actually won't help. Simply reflash the rom (or any rom, or even stock odin), install GW and re-initialize it. Your previous funds will be there (or if you have nefarious reasons, the original owner's funds). Your GW account isn't tied to your gmail account. It's tied to your phone's nfc chip. Doesn't matter what email address you use to log into GW with, the same funds will be there.

I learned this when I had to return my original GNex. Setup GW on the new phone and my funds from my original GW account were unavailable and they gave me a new $10, even though I used the same email address. Wiped and reflashed, this time logged in with a different account thinking I'd recoup the $20 that was on my original account ($10 for each activation). No such luck, even though I used a different email address on a fresh rom. It pulled up the same card I had with my other email address... and the $10 was still there. If you sell/gift/lose/return/part with your phone, call them and have them deactivate your GW account.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    Is it better to be right for the wrong reason, or wrong for the right reason?
    Neither, better to be right for the right reason
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  4. Bang Bang
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    juicemane_
    Phone
    G Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ænyoc View Post
    A lockscreen actually won't help. Simply reflash the rom (or any rom, or even stock odin), install GW and re-initialize it. Your previous funds will be there (or if you have nefarious reasons, the original owner's funds). Your GW account isn't tied to your gmail account. It's tied to your phone's nfc chip. Doesn't matter what email address you use to log into GW with, the same funds will be there.

I learned this when I had to return my original GNex. Setup GW on the new phone and my funds from my original GW account were unavailable and they gave me a new $10, even though I used the same email address. Wiped and reflashed, this time logged in with a different account thinking I'd recoup the $20 that was on my original account ($10 for each activation). No such luck, even though I used a different email address on a fresh rom. It pulled up the same card I had with my other email address... and the $10 was still there. If you sell/gift/lose/return/part with your phone, call them and have them deactivate your GW account.
    Sorry but you are somewhat incorrect.

Wallet is linked to your Gmail Account, the balance is related directly to your NFC Chip (so you cant scam $10 over and over) but the actual account information is all done through your Gmail account. I had to exchange my first G Nexus and I used wallet on it. When I installed on the new device I installed wallet and lost my old balance. Balance information is routed through the phone and not your google account. However; if you reflash a rom without doing a data wipe, you will still have the lockscreen on... if you do a data wipe, the account information is gone, rendering google wallet useless.

See the point here? Even if you have a balance on Wallet, if you dont sign into the corresponding Google Account, you cannot do anything with the funds.

Put a lock on your device if you use wallet. Case and point. Or... just dont store your credit card info into wallet...

Funny thing about this is most people are pissed about the concept of someone hacking the Wallet, when in reality you only have $10 on it... I would be more concerned about the $600 phone that was lost or stolen, then to worry about some jerk off stealing my free money in my wallet account.

Ignorance is bliss.

| AOKP Rom | Imo Lean Kernel | Seidio Active |

| Like my work? Donate | | Need me? Twitter |
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I think someone else mentioned this at some point, but its no worse than actually losing your wallet. If it could be more secure thats great, but like I just stated its just like losing your wallet with your credit cards in it. Same sort of scenario has to occur for this to be a real security breach. Also, if you dont put a screen lock on your phone with sensitive and personal information your just being stupid.... sorry, truth hurts!
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    OK if you lose your phone all you have to do is change your Gmail password and this flaw no longer exists.
    Twisted Inception
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Is anyone really that surprised that putting your credit card information on a cell phone is an unsafe thing to do?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanPm40 View Post
    Is anyone really that surprised that putting your credit card information on a cell phone is an unsafe thing to do?
    [Beat Dead Horse]

If you'll notice, all of the exploits require that you DON'T ENABLE YOUR LOCK SCREEN.
    Even if you didn't use Google Wallet the nefarious individual would have access to all of your personal information if you DON'T ENABLE YOUR LOCK SCREEN.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

[/Beat Dead Horse]
    Last edited by Dusty; 02-10-2012 at 02:03 PM.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Until we get instantaneous and fool-proof fingerprint (which ultimately makes more sense) and/or facial recognition, I fail to see the convenience. I don't put sensitive data on my phone because I don't lock it - terribly annoying to have to put in a pass code, even if a trace takes just a second.

Nor can I see the convenience this brings vs. a credit card if you have to unlock your phone and then enter a code to launch the app. As I've said from the beginning => not ready for prime time. In the future, I can definitely see the advantages using it to unlock your house door, open your garage, and disarm your home security, among other things. But until then, this is mostly a gimmick.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    [Beat Dead Horse]

If you'll notice, all of the exploits require that you DON'T ENABLE YOUR LOCK SCREEN.
    Even if you didn't use Google Wallet the nefarious individual would have access to all of your personal information if you DON'T ENABLE YOUR LOCK SCREEN.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

[/Beat Dead Horse]
    Some people don't like lock screens, worry they'll forget their unlock code, and think they're a complete pain in the neck when they need to make a quick call. We've gone years without needing a lock screen for our cell phones, why should the smartphone world be making things more difficult when the entire point of a smartphone is for ease of use for the consumer?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links