DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Google Chrome For Android Beta Available Now

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS
    switching tabs is hard, and many pages load as white....and it takes awhile for it to render

after a few outcries and updates it'll probably be a much usable beta. Betas are of course...not finals. So I'm not expecting greatness yet. I don't mind waiting. I'll just keep using stock for the meanwhile
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    chrome is such a memory hog, even when you close all tabs and exit the app it's still using over 50mb ram.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksoxing View Post
    switching tabs is hard, and many pages load as white....and it takes awhile for it to render

after a few outcries and updates it'll probably be a much usable beta. Betas are of course...not finals. So I'm not expecting greatness yet. I don't mind waiting. I'll just keep using stock for the meanwhile
    yeah i noticed this too. i love all the "wow! it's lightening fast!" posts about chrome beta. it's the same psycological affect where some people believe their car drives better after an oil change.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    it's not any faster then stock browser. i've timed a dozen web pages and they're both equal speed except chrome lacks desktop version, flash and whole lot of other features.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    chrome is such a memory hog, even when you close all tabs and exit the app it's still using over 50mb ram.
    My Weather app is currently using 52. GoLauncher is using 60. 50 is not that much for an essential service, and I consider a browser to be an essential service.

I have a gig of RAM...there's plenty of room.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    but those apps that are being used. when you close all tabs and exit from chrome it still sits in memory, while stock browser gets unloaded.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    No, lots of apps stay memory resident like that. Android is designed to work that way. It frees up it's own memory when it needs it. Thats why recently used apps appear to load so fast. The weather app is not being used yet is still in RAM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    android doesn't always manage it's memory efficiently hence the option to forceclose apps that are memory residents when they shouldn't be like chrome. i'd understand if you have pages open and hit home key to do other tasks, but if no pages are open and all tabs are close and app is closed it should not reside in memory. this is another + for default browser and another - for chrome.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    android doesn't always manage it's memory efficiently hence the option to forceclose apps that are memory residents when they shouldn't be like chrome.
    This isnt 2010. Since GB that problem has pretty much vanished. I almost never had to force-close anything even on my Droid 1 after GB. Really, this "problem" has been resolved since Froyo. Thats why no one uses task killers anymore.

i'd understand if you have pages open and hit home key to do other tasks, but if no pages are open and all tabs are close and app is closed it should not reside in memory. this is another + for default browser and another - for chrome.
    If you say so. I rarely have more than 20% of my RAM free, and my phone flies. I did benchmarks after I rooted and got rid of Sense and other memory-resident apps...the scrores are almost exactly the same.

Android does not work like your PC. Memory-resident apps do not impact performance in the way that you think they do.
    NoBloatware likes this.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    I'll agree to disagree, but in the end stock browser is still prevalent over chrome.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Links