DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verizon and Redbox Team-Up to Take on Netflix with their own Streaming Service

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgxray View Post
    I believe they are going to do it, but compete with netflix? How? The netflix app is free. I already have netflix to watch at home on xbox, computers, ipad and android tablet. Netflix allows 12 or so devices to be enabled for use simultaneously. All 4 members of my family can watch different shows at the same time. Is verizon going to work on ipad and my computer? I have unlimited data so using their network to watch on my phone is not a problem. If you had only 2 gb data plan and their service was comparable to netflix with data being free for this service maybe some people would do it. Is the charge going to be per phone or plan? $10 for each phone maybe? Could get expensive quick! My unlimited instant view plan with netflix is less than $20. I don't see verizon offering anything like this for less than $20 for 12 devices simultaneous use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    I think we are making the assumption that the Verizon streaming service will necessarily be directly tied to their wireless plans and services. It is entirely possible that the streaming movie service will be completely separate from that and be similar to Netflix' implementation via a website portal. They would still be using their own internal network infrastructure for hosting, that is likely superior to what Netflix uses, but would simply stream over the web. Of course, right now this is just conjecture, as we really don't have enough facts or meaty details yet.
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1675 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I find it hard to believe because this is the same vzw that hark on people for tethering on unlimited data because its not authorized, but charge people on tier data a tethering plan . Vzw is in the business to make money and their revenue stream is.data and calling plans. They see this as a money maker because if you are on tiered data and you want to stream movies you are gonna need a higher tier. If you have a netbook then you gonna need the mobile hotspot plan, mifi, or get a 4g tablet from them. Vzw is seeing this a money making idea and yes you can bet it will be a bloatware app. Vzw is trying to make a profit and this is a good way to do it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    I think we are making the assumption that the Verizon streaming service will necessarily be directly tied to their wireless plans and services. It is entirely possible that the streaming movie service will be completely separate from that and be similar to Netflix' implementation via a website portal. They would still be using their own internal network infrastructure for hosting, that is likely superior to what Netflix uses, but would simply stream over the web. Of course, right now this is just conjecture, as we really don't have enough facts or meaty details yet.
    I agree, it could be just another netflix, but then why Verizon?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  4. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    I find it hard to believe because this is the same vzw that hark on people for tethering on unlimited data because its not authorized, but charge people on tier data a tethering plan . Vzw is in the business to make money and their revenue stream is.data and calling plans. They see this as a money maker because if you are on tiered data and you want to stream movies you are gonna need a higher tier. If you have a netbook then you gonna need the mobile hotspot plan, mifi, or get a 4g tablet from them. Vzw is seeing this a money making idea and yes you can bet it will be a bloatware app. Vzw is trying to make a profit and this is a good way to do it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
    You may be right pc747, but I hope your are wrong. It would be cool to see a decent competitor to Netflix.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    RazrMaxx/Droid1(retired)/dinc2
    $8 multiple devices they wont beat it!

new server if any of my links are dead notify me, I got new links!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgxray View Post
    I believe they are going to do it, but compete with netflix? How? The netflix app is free. I already have netflix to watch at home on xbox, computers, ipad and android tablet. Netflix allows 12 or so devices to be enabled for use simultaneously. All 4 members of my family can watch different shows at the same time. Is verizon going to work on ipad and my computer? I have unlimited data so using their network to watch on my phone is not a problem. If you had only 2 gb data plan and their service was comparable to netflix with data being free for this service maybe some people would do it. Is the charge going to be per phone or plan? $10 for each phone maybe? Could get expensive quick! My unlimited instant view plan with netflix is less than $20. I don't see verizon offering anything like this for less than $20 for 12 devices simultaneous use.

Netflix offerings are junk lately. When starz and Sony drop, then it is worse. I'm dropping netflix if starz isn't renewed

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It is "Verizon" NOT "Verizon Wireless". It is probably just something to push to their FIOS subscribers or a direct competitor pretty much exactly like Netflix and has nothing directly to do with our phones.
  8. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    This will not be Verizon exclusive. Other carriers will have the option to use Verizons Red Box app.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    I don't see how this is supposed to mean Netflix will have competition finally.... amaxon already has streaming and so does hulu. So why would we think Verizon will all of a sudden be competition?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links