DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VZW Shared Data Plans in Employee Training Materials; Coming Sooner Than Expected?

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

VZW Shared Data Plans in Employee Training Materials; Coming Sooner Than Expected?

Verizon Wireless may be getting ready to unveil their shared family data plans sooner than expected. Later last year, Verizon shared some details about some new shared family data plans they were working toward, and that they would be coming in mid-2012. The above leaked internal database screenshot from employee training docs, along with an anonymous tipster's word, indicate that Verizon may be planning to bring the new plans sooner than they predicted. According to the pic, these "account level data plans" may have an account level charge for data allowance and a 9.99 charge per line.

Of course, we have no official confirmation regarding this leak, but we will share any new info as it emerges.

Source: Engadget

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS
    If it was possible to share an unlimited plan....that'd be the best thing ever

Even 5gb!

But of course, these companies are in the business to make money...so I'm not expecting this to benefit ME
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksoxing View Post
    If it was possible to share an unlimited plan....that'd be the best thing ever

Even 5gb!

But of course, these companies are in the business to make money...so I'm not expecting this to benefit ME
    Same here. So the pessimistic view is: in order to qualify, we "surrender" our unlimited plans, and trade them in for lower-tiered versions (e.g., 1 or 2GB) that can be shared over multiple lines?

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Note 3, Thunderbolt
    Somehow I just don't think this is going to save money on my plan. 4 lines, 3 are 4G phones with unlimited data and an old flip phone, no data. I can't see Verizon doing anything that will allow me to save money as I doubt there will be any kind of unlimited data sharing.

I'm guessing the current tiered plan pricing will probably stay about the same, only adding the option to "share" 2GB, 5GB, or 10GB across however many lines you have, at a cost of $10 per additional phone. That way a plan with 5GB spread across 3 phones will be more likely to incur overage charges and make the company more money, or the theory to overbuy coverage and make the company money.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    I just switched to a family plan recently. One phone, lte phone, has 4gb. I went over last month, and I'm almost at 1gb now, have until the 25th for the next billing cycle..

My other lte phone is unlimited, and it was at 7gb. YouTube, netflix, forum apps, web browsing, downloading n updating apps. Word with friends.

IMO you have to get either unlimited or 10gb or more if you wanna use your smartphone's data as part of your entertainment. Or switch it to 3g. Might as well not get a 4g phone then... I am hoping like crazy that I can share the unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Note 3, Thunderbolt
    I just realized something. I bet the new Family Plan will be a 4G only plan. There won't be mixing and matching of 3G and 4G data, and probably no 3G family plan at all. This is another step into migrating all the users off the 3G system and onto 4G.

Yes the 3G system will be around for many years (5-7), but the migration needs to happen earlier rather than later.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD (Rooted 4.1.1)
    I've been asking for this for a while since it makes no sense to pay individual prices when you're on a family plan. I'll echo the above statement though and say it'll only really benefit verizon in the long run.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    They can do what they want as long as I and my family get to keep our unlimited plans.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Based on our "best guesses" here I think it's gonna be a tough call in my case:

- three phones on a shared (550-minute) plan
    - two of the three phones have $30 unlimited data plans
    - third phone is a flip (no data) -> belongs to son

I'd love to get my son on a smart phone (he can have my OG Droid), but no way I'm paying another $30/month for his data, PLUS he'll get a limited plan instead of unlimited like the other two phones. The "good news" is the total data on the two smart phones is less than 1GB a month, so we could theoretically trade in our unlimited plan for, say, $30 or $40 for 1GB or 2GB shared data for the family, and still come out saving $20-$30 a month. But it's the PRINCIPLE -- I HATE the idea of giving up our unlimited plans (which is stupid, we don't use it enough to justify it!).

And OH did I mention the kiddo is 13? Giving a 13-year-old a smartphone with a limited data plan is probably a dangerous idea. :P

Any suggestions?

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Based on our "best guesses" here I think it's gonna be a tough call in my case:

- three phones on a shared (550-minute) plan
    - two of the three phones have $30 unlimited data plans
    - third phone is a flip (no data) -> belongs to son

I'd love to get my son on a smart phone (he can have my OG Droid), but no way I'm paying another $30/month for his data, PLUS he'll get a limited plan instead of unlimited like the other two phones. The "good news" is the total data on the two smart phones is less than 1GB a month, so we could theoretically trade in our unlimited plan for, say, $30 or $40 for 1GB or 2GB shared data for the family, and still come out saving $20-$30 a month. But it's the PRINCIPLE -- I HATE the idea of giving up our unlimited plans (which is stupid, we don't use it enough to justify it!).

And OH did I mention the kiddo is 13? Giving a 13-year-old a smartphone with a limited data plan is probably a dangerous idea. :P

Any suggestions?

-Matt
    I'm almost in the same position. Just the wife and I though. We both had unlimited data and only once used over 1GB between us and then just over 1GB. Most of the time we totaled less than 500MB. She gave up her unlimited last month and went back to her old env. If we can get 1GB (preferably 2GB) for $30 she will go back to a smartphone, although she is happy with her env and her Galaxy Player 4.0 right now.

I do have to agree with you that giving a 13 year old a smartphone with a family data plan is not a good idea. Plan on a lot of overage months. I don't see a good way for you to handle this without spending more than you do now.
    Last edited by TheOldFart; 01-31-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links