DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Order For the Motorola RAZR Developer Edition Handset now Live

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    VZW LG G2
    Sadly I know that's probably the case. Got screwed out with the same phone with a monster battery.. now this.
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones. I understand you're a business and need to make money, but where is the hurt in pleasing all the fans of your products? Shouldn't they be about making a quality robust product and good customer service above all?

Last Moto phone I ever buy.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    Moto said "We are continuing to explore the possibility of offering additional devices with unlockable bootloaders in the future, in other markets across the globe, as allowed by our carrier and regulatory obligations." Translation: don't expect to see a Verizon version unless Big Read gives the ok. This has been a source of contention among many Motorola fans and while this news is exciting for our friends across the pond, we would advise our readers to remain cautiously optimistic about seeing a CDMA/LTE version here in the states. Do you think Big Red will allow another developer phone on their network and would you be willing to pony up the coin to purchase this handset off contract?
    Its funny how V$ only seems to have a problem with unlocked or unlockable bootloaders when it comes to Moto phones. However its totally cool with them on HTC, Samsung, Etc..Etc

Quote Originally Posted by bogginblazer View Post
    Its cool that they did this to appease us but no warranty is a useless phone. If it comes from the factory with defects you can't I return it. we already have an unlocked bootloader with a phone with a warranty. Cool but too little too late

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    An unsubsidized phone with no warranty or carrier is hardly what I would call appeasement. A very poor attempt at it? Yes, but a long way from what it should be.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Raverrevolution View Post
    Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones. I understand you're a business and need to make money, but where is the hurt in pleasing all the fans of your products? Shouldn't they be about making a quality robust product and good customer service above all?

Last Moto phone I ever buy.
    It would be nice to think that, but honestly we don't even cause a blip on their radar. Which makes this whole bootloader thing even more preposterous.
  5. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1570 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raverrevolution View Post
    Karma will eventually bite you guys in the ass Moto for thinking of your greedy pockets and not letting your customers do as much as they can with their phones.
    Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. Their policy of leaving the device locked really has no real impact on them at all. Nobody really cares. HTC, Nokia, LG all suffered dismal Q4 numbers. The problem lies not in bootloaders but lack of a focused product. Samsung understands it with their Galaxy S line-up .

Just my opinion on this whole thing
  6. Kernel Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Twitter
    f1vefour
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus Toro
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I believe the bootloader SHIPPED locked, meaning it can NEVER be unlocked. Don't hold me to that, but I'm fairly certain that is the case with the RAZR
    Motorola could unlock the bootloader through means of a signed update.

A locked bootloader prevents one from writing to the boot partition, no kernel updates can be made to a device with a locked bootloader...nandroid backups can be had along with 2nd init ROMs.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    I believe the bootloader SHIPPED locked, meaning it can NEVER be unlocked. Don't hold me to that, but I'm fairly certain that is the case with the RAZR
    I am not sure that is the case. HTC phones were locked also but they had a tool that would unlock those phones. Moto like all the other handset makers are trying to walk a fine line between allowing consumers to muck around with their phones and still maintain a warranty policy. Unlike the PC business where the retailer and/or vendor supports a commodity product the handset makers still consider their h/w very proprietary. I do not necessary agree with this perspective but it is what it is.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    VZW LG G2
    He
    Unfortunately I have to disagree with this. Their policy of leaving the device locked really has no real impact on them at all. Nobody really cares. HTC, Nokia, LG all suffered dismal Q4 numbers. The problem lies not in bootloaders but lack of a focused product. Samsung understands it with their Galaxy S line-up .

Just my opinion on this whole thing
    That's what makes this announcement so frustrating! The razr is a sexy beast of a phone and moto had a chance to hit another home run with it but releasing a full price non warranty phone just adds to the fu from moto
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I want a simple answer from Motorola, and as a faithful customer feel I am entitled to one. My question is very simple.

If it is okay for HTC, LG, Samsung, and any OTHER Android device manufacturer to offer unlocked bootloader capability on VZW, then what on earth makes Motorola so damn different? They act like VZW is going to do something bad to them if they offer a bootloader unlock.
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Of course we are a small blip in the big picture for Moto. They don't give two craps about us. They just want to appeal to the rest buying their phones, but it's the principle of it all. Why?? What's hurting them by unlocking these phone's bootloaders?

It's all BS and trust me, somehow somewhere the reasoning just leads back to them thinking greed and ways to make more money. Sure we are a small insignificant blip, but there's no reasoning behind what they do other than them just being spiteful at this point if it's somehow not to nickel and dime us like Verizon does.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links