DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Motorola Takes on Water Losing $285M Selling Phones in 2011

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    How a company can sell 42 million units, and still lose 70 million baffles me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    The locked bootloader has very little to do with their losses. Even if they did change their stance and unlock the bootloader, that *might* recoup about 5% of the losses they've experienced. They definitely do need to slow the release of their phones though. They've been pissing off the consumer for a long time and now that they see that they're really hurting themselves even more so, they'll finally slow production.
    If you don't want that 5%, I'll take it ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    The locked bootloader has very little to do with their losses. Even if they did change their stance and unlock the bootloader, that *might* recoup about 5% of the losses they've experienced. They definitely do need to slow the release of their phones though. They've been pissing off the consumer for a long time and now that they see that they're really hurting themselves even more so, they'll finally slow production.
    Problem is that 5% is the loudest 5% who hype the device. When the og droid was out yeah it got sells and when rooting and roms came maybe 5-7% jumped on it but they were the people showing off their phones and hyping up android. Basically oems like motorola got free advertisement by word of mouth. Its the same wit the nexus. You know why they didnt have a lot of commercials, it was because they didnt need it. They had people blowing up twitter, facebook, and talking about it all over the net hyping it. People knew the release dates before vzw workers did. When you get to a point where you really dont need a bunch of commercials and advertisement and the product sells itself (ie iphone) then you have reached the pinnacle.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Problem is that 5% is the loudest 5% who hype the device. When the og droid was out yeah it got sells and when rooting and roms came maybe 5-7% jumped on it but they were the people showing off their phones and hyping up android. Basically oems like motorola got free advertisement by word of mouth. Its the same wit the nexus. You know why they didnt have a lot of commercials, it was because they didnt need it. They had people blowing up twitter, facebook, and talking about it all over the net hyping it. People knew the release dates before vzw workers did. When you get to a point where you really dont need a bunch of commercials and advertisement and the product sells itself (ie iphone) then you have reached the pinnacle.
    ^ exactly - well said!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I'm not surprised.

Moto didn't really release anything huge phone wise till around the end of Q3. Sure you had the ATRIX, but after that I believe their next big phone was the Bionic. ATRIX came out like in Feb. and Bionic in September. Then you had the RAZR in like Nov.

XOOM didn't exactly live up to expectations either.

When you compare last year to this year with Moto, it was kind of blah.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    ^^^Moto mobility lost money last year, too. There's a reason they are being sold - typically struggling companies don't sell-off their best divisions.

The dumb phones and tablet flops are probably big drivers of the losses. And, like I said, they are probably not realizing nearly the return on smartphones they could because with all the models they aren't getting scale on neither components nor R&D.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Really? I've personally steered 3 sales away from motorola specifically because of their bootloaders. This is in the last couple months. I wonder how many others have done the same. You're pulling that percentage out of thin air.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Its kind of harsh to try and convince the sale based on an element which 99% of people have no interest in. I'm more concerned with where motorola is spending the billions in revenue these 40+ million devices have generated.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Liked
    117 times
    Phone
    DROID X --> Nexus Prime
    I think it's due to poor release dates. I _don't_ think it's due to having locked BL at ALL. Only a small percentage of people know or even care about that.

I think it's because they thought that they could say they were going to release a major phone in February, only to release it what in September? Then released another phone on top of it, and yet another on top of that? o.0 You can't always outsmart your customers.

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow02 View Post
    Really? I've personally steered 3 sales away from motorola specifically because of their bootloaders. This is in the last couple months. I wonder how many others have done the same. You're pulling that percentage out of thin air.
    No...I'm not. In fact, I believe 5% is generous. The modding community is small. Your 3 sales don't even make a dent.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links