DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moto Picks a Fight With Apple, Claims the iPhone 4S and iCloud Infringe on 6 Patents

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member

Moto Picks a Fight With Apple, Claims the iPhone 4S and iCloud Infringe on 6 Patents

Just another day in patent infringement lawsuit land. If this keeps up we will have to dedicate an entire site to these lawsuits. Yeah ok, bad idea we know. Good news is that this is not another Samsung vs Apple headline. Motorola is involved in another patent infringement suit against Apple and this time it's over 6 patents that they say involve the iPhone 4S and iCloud. All six Motorola patents-in-suit are asserted against the iPhone 4S. All but two (the '987 and the '737 patents) are asserted against the iCloud. The six patents are as follows:

- U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a “receiver having concealed external antenna”

- U.S. Patent No. 5,754,119 on a “multiple pager status synchronization system and method”

- U.S. Patent No. 5,958,006 on a “method and apparatus for communicating summarized data”

- U.S. Patent No. 6,101,531 on a “system for communicating user-selected criteria filter prepared at wireless client to communication server for filtering data transferred from host to said wireless client”

- U.S. Patent No. 6,008,737 on an “apparatus for controlling utilization of software added to a portable communication device”

- U.S. Patent No. 6,377,161 on a “method and apparatus in a wireless messaging system for facilitating an exchange of address information"

An interesting factoid is that Google had to give Moto the thumbs up to move forward with the lawsuit. Unless you have been living under a rock Google and Motorola are currently closing a $12.5 billion merger, which is expected to close in early 2012. In the fine details of their agreement it states that Motorola cannot “assert any Intellectual Property Right in any new Action or in any counter claim” without Google’s approval. So there you have it, another wonderful patent infringement suit to brighten your day. Stay tuned until tomorrow when we bring you yet another suit coming from someone directed at someone else. We're kidding.........hopefully

Source: Foss
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I swear, most patents, no matter who they're filed by, are such a joke. “method and apparatus for communicating summarized data”

Really??

Can I patent raising an upper body limb to ones face to prevent the exhalation of air from the mouth flowing directly outward? Or how about the delivery of liquid to the human body from an external source for the purposes of hydration. Now I see why there are patent wars. I can do this all day!
    Last edited by Sweettooth; 01-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    I agree the patents Moto is claiming have been violated are pretty ridiculous...but I will say that it's about time someone finally came after Apple with something like this. Can I approve and disapprove at the same time?
    djsiva likes this.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate0017 View Post
    I agree the patents Moto is claiming have been violated are pretty ridiculous...but I will say that it's about time someone finally came after Apple with something like this. Can I approve and disapprove at the same time?
    Yes.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweettooth View Post
    I swear, most patents, no matter who they're filed by, are such a joke. “method and apparatus for communicating summarized data”

Really??

Can I patent raising an upper body limb to ones face to prevent the exhalation of air from the mouth flowing directly outward? Or how about the delivery of liquid to the human body from an external source for the purposes of hydration. Now I see why there are patent wars. I can do this all day!
    I guess they(Apple,Moto and whoever else) say,if congress can do it-(meaning;act like a bunch of spoiled brats with to much money and time)then that gives them a rite to do it.Can I approve and disapprove @ the same time?
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Twitter
    JefFullerMyself
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I know I tend to come across very pro apple, haha but Moto has every right to do this as ridiculous as this seems. It's all just further proof the patent system needs a complete overhaul. You will see these Android OEM's starting to do this more often as they acquire more patents. It's not them just retaliating against Apple, it's just now they are starting to build up their own patent portfolio. It won't be long before everyone realizes Apple isn't the only sue happy company.
    Anytime someone dares me to walk a mile in their shoes I do it! Because, hey free shoes and I am now a mile away from that person!

Hatred is by far the ugliest trait any human can possess (think about it)
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    I just feel good for those poor lawyers. They finally have some money in their pockets!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Note 3, Thunderbolt
    I'm glad to see Motorola giving Apple a hard time, just so they see how it feels. The hidden antenna claim might be a winner.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    U.S. Patent No. 5,710,987 on a “receiver having concealed external antenna”
    isnt this most modern cell phones? haha
    and its good apple gets a taste of its own medicine for once, but still im tired of these petty lawsuits...i have a feeling that if apple stopped then motorola wouldn't pursue any others in the future either
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Haha... if Moto were to win these, they could shut down all sales of the iPhone. I'm really not sure how one could design around them.

It is interesting that Google had to sign off on it. Maybe they are hoping that launching this salvo over the bow of Apple will get them to back down from their lawsuits. The whole system right now is a joke. Anything to get them away from lawsuits and back to improving is good to me.
    Carolina Hurricanes - 2006 Stanley Cup Champions

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links